Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 06:29 PM

What does that smell remind you of...

The sense of smell has to the one sense that is capable of evoking memories and taking us back to a time or even a moment in time - what "smell" does that for you?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 06:33 PM
For me its carbolic soap you rarely see it or smell it these days but if I do catch a whiff then it takes me straight back to my Nan's back kitchen - she always had carbolic soap.

Another is cigar smoke and satsuma's (or oranges) remind me of Christmas my Dad always smokes a cigar on Christmas day.

Or the scent of stargazer lillies they take me back to the first time I got my own bouquet of flowers

Karen
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Freesias remind me of my three (yes, three) weddings......good and bad memories.....and the smell of Imperial Leather soap reminds me of my childhood as my Mum always used to buy that soap. Takes me back to her checking I had washed behind my ears, finding I had not, and then soaping up the flannel and doing it for me....hard....ouch
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 06:50 PM
I love the smell of carbolic soap.

Mine has to be coconut oil. It always reminds me of my first holiday to the caribbean.

Brut aftershave reminds me of my ex-husband. Knew the stuff was a bad omen
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 06:54 PM
This is a combination of senses - a wet weathered day with the roar of an old diesel engine bus driving past generating the smell of diesel and rising heat of the engine, reminds me of my mum - this is the only smell that can bring me to tears without me registering why I feel like crying until a few seconds after

I love the fact that the senses can bring back such strong emotion and memories.

Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 07:22 PM
The smell of old books and antacid tablets remind me of grandad - the smell of hay reminds me of my other grandad, the smell of dogs and tuc crackers and garlic cream cheese remind me of one gran and the smell of Wright's Coal Tar soap remind me of my other gran... also the smell of real gravy and casserole.

I love the smell of pine needles - at christmas.

xx
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Johnsons' Baby Powder. My dad a really sweaty feet and he used to always put powder in his shoes. Dad died 16yrs ago but the smell is always around.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Occasonally,i catch a whiff of 'Old Spice' aftershave and this brings back memories of my dad-he died 13 years ago when i was only 22 of cancer.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Coal fires....my first memory of this country when I was on holiday at the age of 15. Still love the smell now.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Pineapple pies freah made, my mum and my nan used to take turns cooking the sunday roast and for dessert we would have pineapple pie and homemade ice cream.
My nan died in 79 and my mum in 81 when ever I make one(which is not often because I'm the only who would have dessert)you could always feel the love in what ever they did and when I do make one that is what I remember most
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >