Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by spottydoggy View Post
Mornirng guys
Another bad night ,not much sleep
lady with her sickness and tanya with her bad poo , tanya going to vets in an hour ,got the 2 poo samples but we not going to know if it is Campylobacter for 3 or 4 days
They are soo unwell this morning
O My Lord, you're going through the mill. Poor Tanya, she looks SO sweet though tucked up in bed, clearly she is being spoiled rotten and quite right too!!

Best of luck spotty - and big hugs
spottydoggy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey everyone thankyou for all your support.

I went this morning to vets ,vet has given tanya ab injection and ab tablets and some antepsin ,he also said that it looks like it is campyobacter , we wont get the results back untill monday .
lady cant have any pain meds ,so thats upset me ,but she keeps been sick anyway
they both have very tight tummys ,so they are quite uncomfortable
and both there temps are 103.00
i have pasta cooking for tanya and rice cooking for lady ,aswell as cuddling them ,they crying a bit today
think they feeling rough .
vet has told me to keep a really close eye on lady ,cause she could get worse ???? thats all he said about that ???
hopefully tanya should start coming round soon ,but we dont exatly know whats going on with lady yet ,its really unsuall for him to say that.
spottydoggy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O My Lord, you're going through the mill. Poor Tanya, she looks SO sweet though tucked up in bed, clearly she is being spoiled rotten and quite right too!!

Best of luck spotty - and big hugs
Thankyou sooo much
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Oh dear, what a worry. If they have Campylobacteriosis they may need to be on a drip to avoid dehydration. The symptoms are very much like Parvovirus.

How long has your GSD been taking Metacam, as this can have some nasty side effects, including sickness/diahroah? If she needs pain relief long term, I would be inclined to find something kinder to her stomach.

Hope they are both better soon. Acidophilus available from any health food shop and some chemists may be worth a try, it wont affect any other medication they are having and is totally safe for even a week old puppy.

I have an old recipe for chicken soup used for convalescing dogs, hope it helps.

One whole chicken
2 stock cubes
3 large carrots sliced or grated.
2 large handfuls green beans (frozen/fresh or canned)
1 cup rice or pasta
3-4 cloves of garlic

Put chicken and stock cubes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover, cook slowly until meat is tender and the bones are starting to dissolve. Remove the meat from the bones. Cook the vegetables and rice or pasta in the chicken juices and mix with the chicken - feed as a soup or add to dried food.
spottydoggy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by SallyG View Post
Oh dear, what a worry. If they have Campylobacteriosis they may need to be on a drip to avoid dehydration. The symptoms are very much like Parvovirus.

How long has your GSD been taking Metacam, as this can have some nasty side effects, including sickness/diahroah? If she needs pain relief long term, I would be inclined to find something kinder to her stomach.

Hope they are both better soon. Acidophilus available from any health food shop and some chemists may be worth a try, it wont affect any other medication they are having and is totally safe for even a week old puppy.

I have an old recipe for chicken soup used for convalescing dogs, hope it helps.

One whole chicken
2 stock cubes
1 cup rice or pasta
3-4 cloves of garlic

Put chicken and stock cubes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover, cook slowly until meat is tender and the bones are starting to dissolve. Remove the meat from the bones. Cook the vegetables and rice or pasta in the chicken juices and mix with the chicken - feed as a soup or add to dried food.
Hey thankyou soo much
vet checked them this morning and they are still hydrated ,so he has given them some more lectade ,
Tanya isnt on painkillers ,she is on steriods ,she has hip displaysea aswell but its not as bad as lady .
Lady is the one who needs pain meds cause she is really uncomfortable ,and she is usually on zubrin one 200mg once a day .
her tummy cant take the normal painkillers .
yeah thanks for that i will get some of that acidophilus this afternoon , anything that helps ,i will do at the moment .
spottydoggy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Would your vet be happy giving her a Cartrophen injection? The dog needs to be off Metacam for a few days before they can be given but this might be better as it's injected straight into the affected area, rather than administered orally. My GSD with hip dysplasia had it done and it definately seemed to help short-term.
Devil's Claw really seemed to help her too but that's oral. Might be a bit gentler on the tummy though? Probably worth discussing with the vet. I ditto the magnetic collars, I've seen them used and making a difference to the dog. The Bioflow ones are expensive but I think there's a couple of cheaper brands that are meant to be good still.
My cross shepherd is already on cartrophen ever month at the moment ,and she is on steriods for her skin ,her displaysea isnt as bad as ladys .
Lady isnt on cartrophen at the moment but she is on zubrin 200mg , she cant have it at the moment cause of this bug
sometimes its hard to keep up with it all ,they both have so many problems
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 02:46 PM
we had a westie in the kennels who did the same thing and they gave him a tiny about of kibble and milk just before they went to bed and that did the trick
ATD x
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 04:51 PM
I really hope they start improving soon, you must be exhausted, sending hugs and keeping you all in our thoughts x
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 06:53 PM
You poor thing - what a worry when they are both ill and as you say you feel so useless as they can't tell you how they feel. Really hoping that things improve in the next day or so. They are so lucky to have you. Big hugs xxxx
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by SallyG View Post

One whole chicken
2 stock cubes
1 cup rice or pasta
3-4 cloves of garlic

When Tai got his first attack of Giardia, he was hospitalised overnight because of the dehydration. However, the night nurse had to ring us to come and fetch him because he was parading up and down the "hospital" trailing his drip behind him, and she felt he would be a lot more settled at home with us, so we dashed down to Towcester at 11 pm and collected him! He was hydrated enough to come off the drip, and we have a lovely photo of him lying in the sitting room looking pathetic all wrapped up in a blanket, a bit like Tanya! I will try and find the photo and post it up, it is rather sweet!
Page 8 of 29 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »