Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2013, 06:01 PM

Urgent home needed for GSD

Hello all!

Been a long time! And this is unfortunately a sad situation that brings me back...

My mum and dad have a 6-month-old GSD called Ailsa, fully house trained and beautiful. Also very clever.

Sadly, due to my dad's health issues they are going to have to give her up. With my mum still working full time as a nurse it's just not feasible for them to keep her and deal with dad's issues...

So, we are looking for a good home for her. Obviously we want a suitable home and will not be letting her go to just anyone. We will also be calling GSD rescue Scotland and letting them know we need a home for her.

Any ideas/offers are welcome if they are serious. She is gorgeous and we will be devastated to let her go... If I could take her I would but unfortunately my two do not like her that much - especially not in close quarters! - and space restrictions make it near impossible...

Thanks for any help guys! We are struggling for any ideas to get through this...

Sarah x
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Hello

And sorry to hear about your Dad's health - I am sure you will find somewhere brilliant for her. Just wondered but sure you have thought of this but being 6 months would her breeder be able to help.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2013, 09:12 PM
First port of call should be the breeder-responsible breeder's offer lifelong support, I took back one of my dogs(GSD) aged 6 1/2 as his owner had been convinced by his sister in law that he would turn nasty when he got to 7 & would start attacking their children.

So a 6 month old puppy should go back to the breeder PDQ
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Why are you not contacting the breeder ?
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2013, 11:18 AM
They are speaking to the breeder today. This decision was only made last night and so we didn't have a chance to then. It's not an easy decision at all and having never given up a dog before we are looking for the best advice... We want her to go to another happy home. It's just very sad and upsetting that the circumstances mean she can't stay with them... Hopefully the breeder will take her and find another good home like they did with my mum, will let you know what she says.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah88 View Post
They are speaking to the breeder today. This decision was only made last night and so we didn't have a chance to then. It's not an easy decision at all and having never given up a dog before we are looking for the best advice... We want her to go to another happy home. It's just very sad and upsetting that the circumstances mean she can't stay with them... Hopefully the breeder will take her and find another good home like they did with my mum, will let you know what she says.
Happy to see they are finally involving the breeder, it should have been their first port of call, before advertising on a forum.

Breeders get a bad name for breeding and not taking responsibility for the dogs they breed, sadly as above sometimes they don't get the chance to do their bit, if the owner does not contact them, they can't help if they don't know.

That's all assuming the breeder of this dog is a responsible one.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-11-2013, 12:38 PM
That is so very true, sometimes the first you know of it is when someone contacts you and tells you they have seen a dog advertised and they think it is one of yours.
Worst case I had was when I was contacted to tell me there was one of my puppies in rescue in Germany
It was one of those million to one chances, this lady had imported a Utonagan from another breeder, and was then contacted by said rescue as they knew her, and she contacted her breeder who contacted me. I knew the family had gone over to Germany as he had got a job over there, within months the puppy was in rescue....I liased with the Rescue and they advised against me bringing him back over to me because they were so very far away, they were very thorough and passed my details onto his new owner and we are now in contact. I cried buckets and buckets though, I was so very shocked and hurt. I contacted the owners who gave me some story, the rescue gave me another story entirely. These were professional people as well, I was obviously never meant to find out my puppy was in rescue, she was a bit shellshocked I found out so quickly and got on her case the way I did.
So, please let your breeder know first, I know how it feels to find out 3rd hand and its not nice at all.