View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:38 PM
find it sickening when this lady has done what others would certainly not be advised to do.

I am afraid I find cruelty sickening, I find the ability to train dogs to this standard with the joy these dogs obvioulsy had and that which they brought to the watching audience FAR more inspirational and completely uplifting.

But then, we are all different! I prefer to focus on the positive side of things
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:38 PM
But hey ho - you argue till your heart's content...

Well it takes two or more to argue, I cannot do it alone! ROFLMAO
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It was fortunate for the "stupid members of the public" to be able to witness a clever dog handler who could demonstrate what could be achieved with just a little application.

Yet you appear intent on concentrating on whether or not the bitch was in season?
as i said i found it distasteful and highly irresponsible , have a problem with that do you ? couldn`t care less how she handled her dogs , what they are or what they do , whether one of which was actually in season at the time or not , i just can`t grasp why someone would want to advertise the fact on national tv and why others would find it funny.
as for 'stupid members of the public comment' that was aimed towards all the people that carry on breeding with no idea of what is happening around them in rescues up and down the country , one day , someone will have a grand idea of breeding more and more collies [as if things arent bad enough] and marketing them as 'potential' dancing dogs as seen on BGT the amount we are seeing on BGT each year , nothing surprises me anymore , some people will do and say anything to market living things!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:50 PM
as i said i found it distasteful and highly irresponsible

Many of us do not find a bitch in season being worked either distasteful or highly irresponsible, just normal.

one day , someone will have a grand idea of breeding more and more collies [as if things arent bad enough] and marketing them as 'potential' dancing dogs as seen on BGT

A bit like all the people who have the grand idea of breeding more and more collies and marketing them as "potential" sheep dogs as seen on One Man and his Dog; or "potential" obedience/agility/show/flyball/dogs as seen on Crufts and other dog training programmes etc etc etc................................
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Not really fair on the bitch either as depending on what stage she is at she might be wanting to flirt with all the males there, or to get away from them - and all the bitches I have seen in season their personalities are different at that time

But it evidently did NOT have any effect on the bitch, if indeed she WAS in season.

Let the poor girl have her 'time of the month' in peace

For heaven's sake, a bitch has a season twice a year (on average) and if she was a working gundog, sheepdog etc she would be out working!
I am aware of dogs cycles - hence the quotation marks
imo if you choose to have an intact bitch you are responisble when they are in season and keep them away from places where other males will be
Yes her dogs were under control but did she know everyone elses dogs were before she got there

and the working sheepdogs I know are NOT out working when they are in season - not with the other dogs - they may be take out individualy but the farmers wouldnt work them with his males

In season bitches are not supposed to be at agility shows either - and you can really see the difference in the performance of some of my friends dogs even there are some even in the area

your experiences may be different from mine but for those reasons
(the personality change in the bitch - and the stress she MAY suffer (you dont know till you get there really)
The chance of out of control offlead dogs
The chance of stressing other dogs out and affecting their performances
The mess)

for those reasons I dont think she should have taken her bitch
Some things are more important than the chance to appear on tv
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 08:00 PM
and the working sheepdogs I know are NOT out working when they are in season - not with the other dogs - they may be take out individualy but the farmers wouldnt work them with his males

Nobody said they did, but they DO work, they are not "kept quiet", some farmers only have bitches!

In season bitches are not allowed at ANY KC licensed event (working trials, flyball, gwt, field trials, obedience, HWTM) apart from Breed Shows.

Some things are more important than being in season, ie the ability to demonstrate great training, the endless possibilities available to dog owners, and the ability to inspire future dog handlers!
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2011, 08:01 PM
as i said , she has numerous other dogs just as talented , why go on with the one she say`s we`re in season , what is that telling folk ?
i`ll tell you exactly what it tells folk , that it`s perfectly okay to go out and about with your dog when she`s in season , seen it time and time again one accident after another when folks decide to walk their in season girls, she certainly hasn`t helped things along has she , advertising the fact that it`s actually okay ? done all of us who don`t advocate taking a bitch in season out , a huge favour.
my own bitch before she we`re spayed we`re never walked in season , my dog we`re castrated long before she came along he we`re so bad as a castrated dog , had to be sent to my sisters when she came into season , which is why she we`re eventually spayed. i`d never ever consider walking / showing an in season bitch [not that i show] , same as i`d never ever advertise the fact it`s okay either.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 10:17 PM

Nobody said they did, but they DO work, they are not "kept quiet", some farmers only have bitches!

Yes but are they taken to trials? My main objection wasnt her working her dogs - it was taking them out in an area where there were other dogs

In season bitches are not allowed at ANY KC licensed event (working trials, flyball, gwt, field trials, obedience, HWTM) apart from Breed Shows.

So why was that rule made?

Some things are more important than being in season, ie the ability to demonstrate great training, the endless possibilities available to dog owners, and the ability to inspire future dog handlers!
The ability to use your pets to get on the TV?
It would have given a far better message for Joe Public NOT to see an in season bitch out and about, even if she had taken one dog on and said she had to leave her other dog because she was in season

imo it is v irresponsible
There is a whole lot of waiting around for these type of shows, so she would have to have been on full alert the whole day that no dogs got loose, she also had to make sure when she went to the loo, or to get some food or whatever that whoever was with her was just as alert as she was
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 10:52 PM
ermmm...... for a start i think she meant the season comment as a joke!!

and even if she was..the big deal is what?

it wasnt a massive dog show!
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
ermmm...... for a start i think she meant the season comment as a joke!!

and even if she was..the big deal is what?

it wasnt a massive dog show!
there are other dogs in that waiting area , if i`d have been there myself with my castrated male i`d have been telling her to get lost and caused a massive stink because of how upset he would have been being able to smell her. my other problem being she blatently advertised on national tv that it`s okay to go out and about with your in season bitches whether her dog we`re actually in season remains to be seen! sorry you can`t see my reasoning.
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »