Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vgstar44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2010, 04:14 PM

Teething 5 month old and off food

Hi everyone.

Just wanted some advice on our Cocker Spaniel who will be 5 months in a few days time.

Hes losing quite a few baby teeth and has plenty of adult teeth at the front and today we have found a couple of big ones from i think the back of his mouth. Its got me thinking as hes been a little of food recently.

hes on dry mix food (Beta puppy not everyones choice i know but this is what the breeder had him on so hav'nt bothered changing) mixed with a slither of tinned meat(again this was on the advice of the breeder). Normally he would have this twice a day and be looking for more once he is done but hes struggling to eat much of his first morning feed and still leaving some at night.

Could this be due to him teething??? Or should i be concerned with something else?

Thanks in advance
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Poppy has been going through the same. She is 5 and a half months old and has now started to eat normally again this week. The last month or so, she has been off her food and I have been giving her soft food and sometimes making her some mince just to get some food into her. So I would be inclined to think that your dog is off its food because of the teething. Poor thing
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2010, 07:20 PM
i feed my 5 and a half month old dry kibble (JWB) He started to struggle a bit so I mix it with boiling water and let it cool. He seems to eat it alot easier when its soft

xxx
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Might just have sore gums, does soaking his food help?
vgstar44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi everyone thanks for the advice.

I thought about softening his food with water but wasnt sure as its been very recent we have only managed to get him off softened food.

Today i tried it tho and he gobbled the lot!!!

Very happy puppy indeed LOL

again thanks everyone its really helped.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Louie is 4 and a half months old and he's on a puppy food CJS/CSJ cant remember which way it goes, anyway we pour in boiling water which gets his nose going and sometimes mix in a bit of tuna if that doesn't work.

Sometimes if he really wont eat anything we put down for him, softened or not, he'll get homemade, unsalted chicken soup, just so he doesnt go too hungry - he went three days once without eating much so the vet recommended the soup and also recommended we give him a puppy rawhide bone thing to chew on, satisfies his hunger and his teething pain.

Sorry this is belated, thought I'd give the advice the vet gave me hope s/he is ok, cant wait for teething to be over lol
vgstar44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks... I bought him some paddywack (not quite sure what this is but it smells disgusting) and he seems to be chewing on it forever so hopefully that will have helped with his sore gums too.

Hes the first puppy i have had of my own and its a huge learning curve!!! Fun but a little daunting at times.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by vgstar44 View Post
Thanks... I bought him some paddywack (not quite sure what this is but it smells disgusting) and he seems to be chewing on it forever so hopefully that will have helped with his sore gums too.

Hes the first puppy i have had of my own and its a huge learning curve!!! Fun but a little daunting at times.
We have just got our first ever dog, a puppy springer and am also finding we worry so much about learning everything, worrying about worming, fleas and teething, when we thought training would be our biggest worry! lol,our little fella is 12 weeks old, has lost one tooth and managed to crack another, so wondering what teething has instore for us!

Hope you are soon back to normal.
Labradoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Molly, my 4 month old labradoodle, lost her first tooth this week. She seems very quite in the mornings, but she livens up in the afternoons.

I think that her teeth/gums hurt her more in the mornings so she has soft food for b/fast and then some bonio puppy milk biscuits to chew on as and when she wants. By the evening she is chewing on her porky hides and biscuits.

Molly is my first puppy too and I worry about every little thing, luckily I have a very understanding nurse at the vets and she is always happy to have a chat with me!

Tracy
xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Frozen carrots are good for soothing teething problems, along with frozen kongs and frozen tuggy ropes (when you wet them first of course!). Glad to hear your baby is eating well again though now that you're soaking the food. I used to mash my pup's kibble up in a plastic bag with the rolling pin, and mix it with wet raw tripe or tinned tuna, coz you can't feed biscuit crumb type food on it's own coz they would choke, so always mix it well with wet food. Good luck with him now.