Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thanks for the tips MM! Silly question, but what is sherry made out of and how does it differ to red wine? (apart from being sweeter).
Sherry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherry

It's a fortified wine, meaning it has brandy added to it at some point during fermentation. You don't need to use much in cooking but it does add 'something'.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Oh Azz that lamb sounds delish!!! I'd add a bit of beef stock into that too just cause I like things quite saucy!! Must give that a go its so easy too.

I've got a rogan josh cooking in mine at the mo "mmmmmmm"
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Sherry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherry

It's a fortified wine, meaning it has brandy added to it at some point during fermentation. You don't need to use much in cooking but it does add 'something'.
Thanks MM. I will try to stick with the red wine tho as red grapes are healthier than white ones tho, I doubt it matters much after fermentation lol.

Wonder if I could do half and half? Half red wine and half veg stock?

Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Oh Azz that lamb sounds delish!!! I'd add a bit of beef stock into that too just cause I like things quite saucy!! Must give that a go its so easy too.

I've got a rogan josh cooking in mine at the mo "mmmmmmm"
I prob won't try it till next week now but will report back with how it turns out.

That rogan josh sounds lovely tho! Shame I can't have spicy stuff : (
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I'd do the Lamb. I love it done in the casserole or slow-cooker, totally drops to bits and is lush.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Well I`m doing Chicken Chasseur with new potatoes. It smells delicious.
Seared Chicken breasts, red onion, red peppers, sliced mushrooms in seasoned stock, splash of wine, cover and cook at Mk 4 for 90mins.
yum
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Oh nooooooooooo, I was dreading this day...... when it arrived!!!!!

Why don't you try out that moroccan lamb, it always looks so good when I see it on the telly, it's all rich and sticky looking, and you do it for hours in the casserole (and I know how much you love leaving yours on for hours Azz!!!), and I'm sure you'll love it with all the different flavours. Shall I find you a recipe from somewhere?? I've never cooked it but one day I will!

Is that your new casserole pot in the picture, the first one? What's your like then if that's not it? The one in the picture is one of those metal ones which have a habit of chipping that's why I ask!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I'd do the Lamb. I love it done in the casserole or slow-cooker, totally drops to bits and is lush.
Another vote for Lamb! Must say I love lamb too - yum!

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Well I`m doing Chicken Chasseur with new potatoes. It smells delicious.
Seared Chicken breasts, red onion, red peppers, sliced mushrooms in seasoned stock, splash of wine, cover and cook at Mk 4 for 90mins.
yum
Sounds yum! Take some photos Claire - You know how nosey us lot are

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh nooooooooooo, I was dreading this day...... when it arrived!!!!!

Why don't you try out that moroccan lamb, it always looks so good when I see it on the telly, it's all rich and sticky looking, and you do it for hours in the casserole (and I know how much you love leaving yours on for hours Azz!!!), and I'm sure you'll love it with all the different flavours. Shall I find you a recipe from somewhere?? I've never cooked it but one day I will!

Is that your new casserole pot in the picture, the first one? What's your like then if that's not it? The one in the picture is one of those metal ones which have a habit of chipping that's why I ask!
I love moroccan lamb too - M&S do a small jar of sauce where I only use one spoon (cheating I know!) - but it is lush! The recipe was in one of their books they gave away free when you spend a fiver on spices.

Re the dish... yes it's like the first one... but in Red

It's made of Iron and in France (not china - which I am trying to avoid lol). They have a lifetime guarantee - so hopefully it will last a good few years - well i hope it does!

I do realise you have to be careful with them tho - especially by heating them up gently.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thanks MM. I will try to stick with the red wine tho as red grapes are healthier than white ones tho, I doubt it matters much after fermentation lol.
OK maybe some wires have got crossed!
If you decided you didn't like the taste of red wine in cooking, then yes you would use a well-flavoured stock instead.

However.... if you wanted a little boost then an egg-cup full of sherry would make a difference. A lot of authentic Chinese recipes call for a dash of Xiaoxing (shiaoshing) wine, and sherry is considered a substitute for that. Not surprisingly as Xiaoxing is hard to get here and a lot more expensive than sherry.

I once had a spaghetti bolognese which had a dash of sherry in, and it was lovely - I preferred it to a spag bol with a lot of wine in. You wouldn't be using 150ml or 300ml red wine, you'd just chuck in a very small amount of cooking sherry instead, to give the stock a bit of a leg-up.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I quite like a touch of red wine in my food (tho have never used 300ml as per that recipe). I often use it to deglaze my pan for gravy, and much prefer the gravy with it rather than with just veg stock

Will give the sherry a go too at some point - wish I had more time to experiment in the kitchen
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Well I fancied something relatively quick tonight so went with option 2

It's actually very different to what I normally have - quite rich but I liked it! I didn't do any mash tho as I'm staying off potatoes for a while, but can definitely see how it would go oh so well with some creamy buttery mash - yum!

Btw, I didn't follow the amounts in the recipe, or use tomato puree (as I forgot to get some!) but it worked out ok

I only did one leg (as it was an experiment more than anything else) put 4 sprigs of thyme instead of 2 (but then chucked them out towards the end as I thought they were overpowering) 2 cloves of garlic, about 5 or 6 mushrooms, and put about 1.5 inch of the red wine (that much of a bottle) and just plain ol water up to half the leg.

Recommend it!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2