Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sorina
New Member!
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Adopting from abroad

Hi. I'm new to this forum.
We live in London and have a rescue dog (collie/german sheppard/husky) and 3 cats (2 strays and 1 from RSPCA).
I'm from Romania and I'm interested in adopting a/some (depending on cost) dogs from there. The conditions are extremely appaling. I've already seen a photo of one hit by a car and rescued.
Does anyone know how I could adopt a dog from abroad?
Does it have to cost the full quarantine cost even if I could fully vaccinate the dog over there and keep it there for 6 months in order to save the cost of the quarantine over here?
Please help.
Thank you
Sorina
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Having just looked into importing a dog I can answer this.As long as the dog has passed the blood test six months after its rabies vaccination, has been microchipped, been treated for worms and parasites and has a full pet passport it doesn't have to go through quarantine.You'll have to buy an airline approved flight crate for it and either go out there to get it or have someone at that end organise getting it and all its paperwork on the plane.The flight itself will be expensive too,people tickets are cheaper!
It's a lot of work and expense but you're right,it is appalling out there for unwanted dogs.
sorina
New Member!
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:47 PM
thank you for your reply.
so it's not that bad. only if it's an young dog, puppy, then one basically lose their young age growing up.
any idea how much more a dog flight ticket roughly pls?
is it traumatic for a dog to fly in a crate alone? possible calming pills?
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-03-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm guessing wildly about the cost of the flight as it depends on the size of the dog,it's worked in cubic centimetres from the size of the crate which must be tall enough for the dog to stand with its head upright,wide enough for it to turn around and long enough for it to lie down with its front legs stretched out. An 'average size' dog (22" tall) would probably leave you no change from £1000 including crate and vets bills.
Dogs take to flying remarkably well,they just curl up and sleep through it.It is very dangerous for the dog to give tranquillisers for a flight.It is against regulations to put two dogs in one crate.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 12:20 AM
An 'average size' dog (22" tall) would probably leave you no change from £1000 including crate and vets bills.
Jesus! I best get saving for when we come back in 3 years time if that's the case!

Pet passport is around £150ish, currently in the process of getting mine one as we go to Germany in a few months.
sorina
New Member!
Female 

08-03-2011, 12:25 AM
where are you thinking to bring one from in 3 years time? from germany, rescue dog?
in romania, the vet bills would not be that expensive as in western countries and already rescue dogs have some of the vaccinations done. i do prefer one completely stray, from the street, but it needs to be in very bad shape, it's very difficult to decide which one should live (meaning picking from street) and which not.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Jesus! I best get saving for when we come back in 3 years time if that's the case!

Pet passport is around £150ish, currently in the process of getting mine one as we go to Germany in a few months.
For Germany it would save a fortune to drive there and back.
20 years ago I sent 2 rescue dogs to the States.It was cheaper to pay £700 for a return flight for someone from the rescue to come and collect them (they were able to fly back with her free) than the £2000 it was going to cost to send the dogs alone.That was the cost of JUST the flight,no rabies shots or passports needed.AND 20 years ago...
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 12:49 AM
where are you thinking to bring one from in 3 years time? from germany, rescue dog?
It will be the dog I own now, we're moving out to Germany for 3 years and taking him with us.
For Germany it would save a fortune to drive there and back.
Hubby is driving out there with him, we're going to look at how we're getting Rupert back here closer to the time. Probably be driving again, it'll depend on cost and what arrangements we can make as to whether we fly. And where the next posting is.