Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 08:32 AM

Flower acting a little odd?

Am I worrying uneccessarily?? Since her first season her nipples have stayed a bit bigger, and she is acting odd...

She is always pulling her tail through her legs and rubbing it on herself?? She seems quieter, could this be she is maturing??? I dont know what to think?? She came out of season about 2 weeks ago???

I never had her off the lead when in season, but due to us being away one weekend, she was in the kennels, but she was in a female block as I told them she was in season, so she wouldnt get caught!

Please any help would be great.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi Anna yes flower is maturing. When a bitch puppy comes into season she experiences a surge of hormones, first oestrogen and then progesterone.The latter has a calming effect and continues to influence the the bitch's behaviour for about two months after an oestrus cycle, this can make her appear a little quiet and moody.

The hormone surge also prepares the body to some extent for whelping and the teats become enlarged.
Millie was in season in December and her teats still seem quite large. She will be spayed in March three months after the start of the season when the hormones are not so active.

Regarding the tail issue, it is worth checking Flower's anal glands, any problem in that area often causes a dog to pay attention to its tail or the surrounding area.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Thank you so much, that has really helped put my mind at ease.. She has become very lively today I must say....after a calm morning, Its just odd seeing there behaaviour alter so rapidly.

Im such a worrier, thank you xxxx