Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:52 AM
I agree with you Sal.

Programs like this have been shown before and it hasn't hepled the spiralling numbers of teenage pregnancies.

I had a conversation with my 12 y/o daughters friend not that long ago. She was chatting about a 12 y/o girl in their school that was supposedly pregnant. Her attitude to it was "well, it happens, that's society nowaday's"

After regaining control of my car and dragging my son out of the passenger side footwell, I then informed her that it DOESN'T need to happen. I told her about the legalities of it, as well as contraception and sex education.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Hey Laura it was just a throw away comment , like yours obviously was.After all if we didnt look at everything we found abhorrent or disgusting what would the world come to?
You don't fine having dead pitbull heads sold on ebay shocking or disgusting???well i don't fine teen pregnancy shocking,seeing as i'm a high school teacher!!I'm not saying i like it, but it's a reality we have to deal with!!
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Well being a high school teacher you are in more of a position to educate teenagers, thats if their parents cant be bothered
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 12:00 PM
I was pretty horrified at the girls in Blackpools situation esp when one of them said while expecting that it'll stop her being bored
I was impressed with the youngest girls attitude though - the one who didn't know she was pregnant she seemed to be doing her best for her wee boy who was lovely.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Paul reckons that they should invent something that would imitate the pain of giving birth to put girls off having babies so young.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Unfortunatly we can't stop kids going out and sleeping with each other. Short of keeping them in 24/7 what else can we do?

I'd be horrified if one of my daughters came home pregnant at a young age, but it happens, it's how you deal with the situation afterwards. I've always been honest and open with any of my answers to thier questions. IMHO if they're old enough to ask, then they're old enough to be told the truth.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by candie
Hey Laura it was just a throw away comment , like yours obviously was.After all if we didnt look at everything we found abhorrent or disgusting what would the world come to?
You don't fine having dead pitbull heads sold on ebay shocking or disgusting???well i don't fine teen pregnancy shocking,seeing as i'm a high school teacher!!I'm not saying i like it, but it's a reality we have to deal with!!
No I dont find teenage pregnancy shocking Candie, I have been forced to see it all my life friends and family who have had kids too early and now friends children who are having kids themselves that doesnt mean I think its okay, what I found shocking was the living conditions of these kids like I said before two sisters 15 & 16 both pregnant, 4 dogs in the house 2 litters of pups and a further 4 kids as well as mum & stepdad. I think most would agree that is a little ott.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Yes whizgirl i am in a position to try and educate the kids through pgse lessons involving sex education, but sadly aren't there at night when they're high on drugs and booze and up to all sorts!!There was a girl i taught who had twins last year at 14, she then went on with our help to gain 10 gcses and go to college.Im not making light of the situation just highlighting to laura that something one person feels strongly about might be not as shocking to someone else.she was the one who quoted
.."if you don't like something don't look at it..."
which i found a very trite thing to say, about something i was genuinely upset and disgusted about!!
By the way for the record i too was a teen mum and managed to drag myself up and go to university etc so i know what it entails!!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 12:14 PM
We all have to deal with what we are thrown at in life! i dont agree with it either, but it is life

Good on you sally
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by candie
but sadly aren't there at night when they're high on drugs and booze and up to all sorts!!
...and NO amount of sex education, from school or parents, can stop this. If they're gonna do it, they will.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >