Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:10 AM

Programme Last Night...Shocked...

Did anybody see the programme about Teenage Mums & Dads on ITV1 last night @ 9pm.

Now I would never judge or criticise teenage mothers, when I was younger many of my friends had children very young and yes some were far too young but some also proved the stereotype wrong and went on to get good jobs and raise beautiful children.

BUT I was completley shocked last night at the family from Blackpool who had two daughters (15 and 16) both pregnant and both gave birth within 1 month of each other (15 year old first).

Thier mother was herself a teenage mother with 4 more children (the youngest of which was around 5 If my memory is right) 4 dogs and two litters of pups in their house. The mum & her boyfriend slept in the livingroom because there was so little space in the house what with the kids and the older girls boyfirends also living with them.

Did anybody else see it?

Laura
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:14 AM
You know Laura, when i had my daughter i was 24, i was the oldest mother on the hospital ward.

The youngest was 14 all i felt when i looked at her cuddling her baby was pity at the fact that she has wasted the rest of her life, and she didnt know it.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Sad isnt it Whiz Girl, my friend is a midwife and when she worked in one of the larger hospitals in Glasgow had a girl in aged just 12 She said the poor thing didnt really understand what was going on, its so sad.

The programme was quite sad but there were some more happy endings too like the boy who fathered twins at 13 now has a job and the wee girls are doing well at school etc, they are having another baby and even though he is still young it was nice to see that kind of outcome too them having their own house and the girl was through college training to be a midwife.

It was the Blackpool family that really really shocked me. I just couldnt believe bringing a baby into all that chaos of a house
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Yes Laura I saw it, very sad, babies having babies!
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Looking back when i was having my daughter i still thought that at the time i was too young, as there were so many other things that i wanted to do.
OH has always wanted more kids, but after having my daughter i made to decision not to have any more kids, maybe a lot of people will think that i have done wrong because i deprived my husband of having any more kids, and most of all a son ( which is what he aways wanted ) not that he loves our daughter any less, he has always wanted a boy.

I decided half way through my pregancy to go private as due to medical reasons our daughter was delivered by a caesarian section, so while i was having the ceasarian i decided to be steralised as well, some may find that extreme, but i have never regretted it As shes growing up now, and bit by bit my life is starting to piece back together again, not that having her ever held me back, but i come to the thinking that there was more to life than giving birth to children, and staying home allday looking after them, not that some mothers do most concencious (sp) ones go out to work and provide for them, and for that i have the utmost respect as i have done that very thing.

But i find the laws surrounding young girls having babies somewhat of a joke, as young single teenage mothers with kids is one of the main reasons our wefare and housing system is somewhat of a joke. Things have been made far too easy for them.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:36 AM
I saw it and was completely disgusted, i mean what on earth is happening, 12yr olds having kids!!!
something needs to be done, and fast...
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:41 AM
To quote you laura::
Like the old saying goes if you dont like it dont look at it

couldn't resist that Laura!!Yeah the programme was shocking but to repeat your statement....lol
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by WhizGirl
Looking back when i was having my daughter i still thought that at the time i was too young, as there were so many other things that i wanted to do.
OH has always wanted more kids, but after having my daughter i made to decision not to have any more kids, maybe a lot of people will think that i have done wrong because i deprived my husband of having any more kids, and most of all a son ( which is what he aways wanted ) not that he loves our daughter any less, he has always wanted a boy.

I decided half way through my pregancy to go private as due to medical reasons our daughter was delivered by a caesarian section, so while i was having the ceasarian i decided to be steralised as well, some may find that extreme, but i have never regretted it As shes growing up now, and bit by bit my life is starting to piece back together again, not that having her ever held me back, but i come to the thinking that there was more to life than giving birth to children, and staying home allday looking after them, not that some mothers do most concencious (sp) ones go out to work and provide for them, and for that i have the utmost respect as i have done that very thing.

But i find the laws surrounding young girls having babies somewhat of a joke, as young single teenage mothers with kids is one of the main reasons our wefare and housing system is somewhat of a joke. Things have been made far too easy for them.
Hi WG,

Nice post, I can understand where you come from it has to be what both parents want (1st, 2nd or 3rd child) otherwise its not fair on the child. I am sure your o/h is just as happy with his girl as he would be his boy?

I am speaking just as an observer so maybe my views dont count so much as the mothers on here. I dont have children and I never ever want or will have children. I found out some time ago that I couldnt have kids but actually decided sometime before I found this out that it wasnt what I wanted so I am pleased with that. My o/h did but has acccepted that he wants me more than a child so I am lucky to have somebody like him.

I am of the same feeling with regards to mothers who get up and work. My cousin had a kid at 15 years the baby (now 12) had cerebal palsy but rather than become a stereotype she went to unit got a medical degree and is now married with a new baby so for those who say they cant I ask how not. She had everything stacked against her - age, no money, disabled baby, parents disowned her.....she still managed it so I definitley have more respect for those who have kids and bring them up at their own expense and try to make a better life for them and the kid.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by candie
To quote you laura::
Like the old saying goes if you dont like it dont look at it

couldn't resist that Laura!!Yeah the programme was shocking but to repeat your statement....lol
Now that is a different kettle of fish Candie. That taxidermy made you feel sick and from what I gather you didnt find it interesting (correct me if I am wrong) if it made you feel like that and you had no interest then well that statement still stands imo.

On the other hand although the programme shocked me I found it interesting and educational and I enjoyed watching it, I thought it was very worthwhile; so the quote doesnt really apply to me because I did like it even though I was saddened by teh content
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:50 AM
I watched it. Me and Paul were absolutley gobsmacked. But fair do's to the sister's mind they got a routine going with the babies and did look after their own children, most girls dump the babies on their parents and go out clubbing and hanging out with their mates.

It was nice story about the boy who fathered twins when he was 13 and they are still together and expecting another child after 5 years.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >