View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2004, 01:27 PM

New Internet worm spreading quickly, BE AWARE!

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A new Internet worm was spreading quickly, threatening to overload computer systems around the world by generating copies by e-mail, security experts said.

California-based Panda software issued a "red alert" for the new variant of the Bagle worm.

"The Bagle.BC worm is increasing its already high rate of propagation, causing more and more incidents in users' computers worldwide," Panda said.

"Just a few hours after it appeared, it has made the top half of the ranking of the viruses most frequently detected.

Messagelabs, another security firm, said it intercepted nearly 900,000 copies of the worm on Friday, which uses disguised addresses appearing to come from a legitimate friend, associate or family member.

"The spoofed subject header will contain greetings such as 'Hello,' 'Thank you!' and 'Thanks,' and the viruses spread when e-mail attachments named 'price,' "Price" or 'Joke' are opened," Messagelabs said.

"Companies around the globe are reporting a large number of instances of this new worm at their e-mail gateways," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for the software firm Sophos.

"Everyone who has a computer needs to ensure they are protected against this new version of the Bagle worm, as it could easily clog up e-mail boxes and slow communications down to treacle if it reaches a critical mass."
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Will hackers ever stop trying to wreck our computers!!!!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2004, 02:42 PM
thanks Gems
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm getting a fair few of this type of email with attachments too. Luckily BT yahoo sends it straight to "bulk mail" then I just delete it.

I never open anything without throwing it through all my virus checkers anyhow.

Thanks though for the heads up
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

02-11-2004, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up Gems
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks Gem

I get a few almost everyday, but luckily don't open them and do have a anti virus thingy
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2004, 11:40 AM
no problem guys! its best if we are all aware!!