View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ellea
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I agree with what other have said change your walk as it could lead to you haveing a big vet bill, these type of people alway seem to get of scot free and the Police can not/will not do anything until you get hurtor a child not so much your girl.
You could check with the local dog warden [our is very good] on the rules/reg .
I do know if your dog is OFF the lead then you have no controll of the dog[ref law [ regardless of how good he/she is trained in coming back when called]
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Is the village green an 'on lead' area?

If you don't know, ask the council. If they say it is, ask for signs to be put up and for the dog warden to have a word with the guy - you will have to know his address though for them to be able to do so.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 12:47 AM
I would bring a can of pepper spray just in case you run into the man and his off-leash dog again.
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2013, 01:52 AM
I thought dogs had to be kept on leads in the UK? Or are there off-lead areas?

Sadly there are many people who should never own dogs. It's the ignorance of owners such as this idiot who cause the problems.

Sorry you had to go through this. It's frustrating too when you feel you can do nothing about it.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by cadac21 View Post
Does anyone know the laws in regards to protecting your dog?

I have just got back from taking my Oreo over the local village green where we have just had a 'run in' with a new dog and it's owner on the estate.

We just got onto the green and this big bulky type dog (boxer/staffy type) came running over to Oreo. No collar but had a harness. Started to sniff her, so Oreo sniffed him back. She then started to roll on her back on the floor in the snow, to which the other dog started growling and showing its teeth.

Oreo hid behind my legs and this other dog was trying to get to her. I called out to the man who was walking her and said can you put your dog on a lead please. He then said no, and asked 'why is my dog aggressive'. I got upset and said no my dog isn't aggressive and can you remove your dog and put it on a lead. He told me to F off.

I told him that if he didn't remove his dog and it continues to upset mine I would report him. He then laughed at me and started to walk off.

Now this could have easily escalated into a massive problem. I have reported it to the council via their website as I tend to have bad luck with these things and I am worried that he may do something to me or Oreo as he lives so close.

My question is if it became more out of hand where does the law protect me and my dog?

What would I be able to do to ensure safety of me and my dog?

This incident has shook me up a little, and I no it wasn't massive and I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill but I just thought id bring it up for discussion.
Hi His dog if it is a pit bull type should be muzzled and on a lead,I would be very concerned if a dog of mine went into a submissive and that dog still wanted to attack it.My late father, used to say if a dog male or female attacked a pup or elderly dog they should be destroyed,and one day he had brought home a dog,it was very thin and had been left tethered by the side of a busy road,he brought it home,now he had a 3 legged whippet that wanted to check out the new dog,it immediately went for Lady,my father hobbled the dog and killed it,I was really upset,but he said once a dog behaves like that you do not trust it.crystalgirl
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 09:15 AM
What does 'hobble the dog' mean? And how did he kill it? Bit confused which of the dogs you mean here - was it the one he 'rescued'? I got quite upset reading that.

I got a dog from Battersea that went for my 18 month old son - baring its teeth and growling really nastily at him. I didn't even consider killing it! I took it back to Battersea!

They said they'd try to find a home for it where there was no likelihood of babies or very young children.

You often see rescues advertising dogs saying they must go to a home where there are NO OTHER DOGS. But they don't consider they have to be killed because they cannot get on with other dogs.
Jessiesdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-03-2013, 09:32 AM
People like these guys make me want to puke. They have dogs that they have made deliberately aggressive because they think it's big, makes them look hard and are morons, probably trying to compensate for having a small willy.
Fortunately I don't have any problems like this due to the fact that I am a fairly big guy myself and have a face that always looks grumpy. I keep my Jess on a lead and muzzled due to her fear/aggression problem, even when I know that often she likes the other dog and only wants to play. Being a Lurcher her idea of good fun play is quite rough and can make other owners think she is being aggressive.
I can't really say what my solution to this type of problem would be but involves my Grandfather's old Police truncheon and their knees, the guys that is, not their dogs.
cadac21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions and stories. It seems I am not alone in regards to all of this.

I haven't seen him again in the last few days although I have avoided the area in which it happened.

I cannot be sure of the type of dog he had but it was of stocky build and had a large head, but it had a lovely colouring.

It started off with a lot of sniffing and I thought that was going to be it, but it then went downhill from there.

I have had a response from the council (who seem to be very interested in what happened).

They have asked for his name and address, however this is going to prove difficult to provide as I no roughly where he lives but no his name. So I have asked them to record it on their system and I will speak to the 'sales office' of the housing site to see if they can provide details to the council. However, I suspect they won't.

The 'village green' is basically something they built as part of the housing estate, it has a small area of grass with dog bins a couple of benches etc. There are no signs in regards to wether a dog should be on lead or not. However, this is something I will be contacting the council about.

There is a huge park approximately 10 minutes walk which people use for taking their dogs off lead. I don't know why he didn't go there.

Oreo is a nervous girl and it's obvious something happened in her previous home. She has never once growled or shown her teeth to anyone or anything. All she wants is a quiet life with a bit of love, that's all I am trying to give her yet people like this bloke make that ten times harder!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi His dog if it is a pit bull type should be muzzled and on a lead,I would be very concerned if a dog of mine went into a submissive and that dog still wanted to attack it.My late father, used to say if a dog male or female attacked a pup or elderly dog they should be destroyed,and one day he had brought home a dog,it was very thin and had been left tethered by the side of a busy road,he brought it home,now he had a 3 legged whippet that wanted to check out the new dog,it immediately went for Lady,my father hobbled the dog and killed it,I was really upset,but he said once a dog behaves like that you do not trust it.crystalgirl
your joking right, your father killed a stray dog because it "went" for his dog ..

The belief that if a adult dogs goes for a puppy it needs to be destroyed , sadly is not new but I hope with the amount of information and education at our finger tips these days people do no longer believe such rubbish !!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
What does 'hobble the dog' mean? And how did he kill it? Bit confused which of the dogs you mean here - was it the one he 'rescued'? I got quite upset reading that.

I guess by hobbling she means tying its front feet together, and God only know how he then killed it, I dread to think, but can come up with a few ideas................disgusting
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >