Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:00 PM

He wont stop weeing on the floor!!!!

I am ready to throw the towel in!!!

I have a 10 week old jack russell puppy that i have had for 4 weeks now. He can be really good and he sleeps with me and my husband in the bed as he whines and cries all night if he is on his own. He will wake me up in the morning so i can take him to wee on the paper (we live in a flat) and he happily goes on the paper three or four times a day but he will look at me sometimes and just wee where he is standing and my husband is starting to get very angry about it which i dont really want.
Is there anything i can try as i have never owned a dog before!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:04 PM
I suppose you have to remember that he is a baby and it will take him time to leanr what is expected of him.

someone else will be along to help with the whole houstraining thing but it wont happen overnight and you cant really get angry about it as its what puppies do and to have been expected before getting a puppy.

I am sorry to be quite harsh but this is what puppies do - they need training.

What kind of housetrainign have you done, what time do you take him out in the evening ? Do you praise him when he pees etc and use the word to associate it.

also - perhaps the peeing when you look at him could be fear aswell - nervous peeing??

dani
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Well we make a real fuss of him when he goes where he should and when he doesnt we ignore him.

We take him out at about 8pm every night for a half an hour run around, should it be longer? I havent walked him yet because his 2nd injection isnt due until this saturday.

We've tried giving him treats, putting him on the paper when he goes on the floor. Am i supposed to rub his nose in it? I hear people do that!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi Congratulations on your puppy. It is really hard work with puppies, like babies they will take time to toilet train.

It is a circle of events, food - wee wee, play - wee wee, sleep, wee wee and it can go on for months. Some are cleaner quicker than others.

Sometimes you think you are going forwards, and end up going backward, but you have to be patient, and reward not scold as this will confuse your pup.

Is he crated at night ? Does he have the run of the flat ? Maybe confine him to the kitchen only until he is properly toilet trained.

I wish you good luck, and lots of happiness with you new arrival x
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:14 PM
you say your in a flat is that on the ground floor ? does your pup have access to outdoors easily .... it sounds liek he is confused on where he needs to go to wee wee
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:16 PM
He's not crated at night. He sleeps with me and my husband (i know its wrong!!). My husband is at home with him all day and i am with him all night so he can do what he likes in any room he likes. We have now started to keep him in the front room only so that any accidents are confined to one place.

We tried to leave him in the front room of a night but he whines and cries all night long and i cant stand upsetting him
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi Sanchez welcome to Dogsey ...you puppy is urinating where he stands because he hasn't yet learn to do anything else and he is too young to have any control over his bodily functions so can't wait to go out...think of babies, a puppy is a baby and needs to be taught what is expected of it..

Here is some information in an article that may help you

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
I suppose you have to remember that he is a baby and it will take him time to leanr what is expected of him.

someone else will be along to help with the whole houstraining thing but it wont happen overnight and you cant really get angry about it as its what puppies do and to have been expected before getting a puppy.

I am sorry to be quite harsh but this is what puppies do - they need training.

What kind of housetrainign have you done, what time do you take him out in the evening ? Do you praise him when he pees etc and use the word to associate it.

also - perhaps the peeing when you look at him could be fear aswell - nervous peeing??

dani
Agree with Dani, he's just a baby and it will take a lot of time and patience. Training is continual.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Definately do not rub his nose in it. He will not know why you are doing this and it is not the right approach, some puppies take longer than others to train, praise and reward is the way forward and accept mishaps without scolding.
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks. I will go home tonight and try to ignore an accident and praise when he does it right.
I may invest in a crate of some sort for the evenings as he has had a couple of accidents on my bed!! :smt018
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >