Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 10:52 PM

Dog loving partner?

I saw an article in one of the monthly dog mags and thought it would be fun to find out the views of Dogsey members too.

Is it or was it a serious consideration when finding a partner that they were a dog lover?

It has always been quite important to me, as my life completely revolved around the dogs before I had a child (and now it revolves around my son AND the dogs ).

I was in a relationship for six years prior to getting my first personal dog and the relationship broke up less than a year after I brought my dog home as my partner at the time was not at all doggy, and my dog became my priority I had no regrets!

I had other relationships where the person involved did like dogs (I wouldn't even entertain a boyfriend who didn't like dogs!) but weren't as passionate as I am. However, I met my hubby through dogs (sheepdogs) and he is as involved and passionate about his dogs as I am about mine. A perfect match!

So, how important was it to you in your relationships past and present.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Any man would have to like dogs enough to put in the groundwork making Kestral like them!

I am not bothered whether they are totally in to dogs themselves, but they must appreciate that I like dogs, and not resent having a dog around, the dog being time and money consuming etc. My OH does nothing for Kestral, except have a play with her sometimes. This is fine for me as he's happy to let me indulge myself in dogs and dog activities!

If a partner tried to discourage me from spending as much time with the dog or didn't like the dog and subsequently treated the dog in a manor I wasn't happy with they would be a gonner.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Any man would have to like dogs enough to put in the groundwork making Kestral like them!

I am not bothered whether they are totally in to dogs themselves, but they must appreciate that I like dogs, and not resent having a dog around, the dog being time and money consuming etc. My OH does nothing for Kestral, except have a play with her sometimes. This is fine for me as he's happy to let me indulge myself in dogs and dog activities!

If a partner tried to discourage me from spending as much time with the dog or didn't like the dog and subsequently treated the dog in a manor I wasn't happy with they would be a gonner.
Same
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Pat likes dogs, but not passionate like me.
He wouldn't be signing up for training them or anything like that

TBH I think Patrick could live without a dog if he lived alone. But he fusses them and laughs/plays with them etc
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 11:13 PM
My OH is really good with the dogs. He had never had pets before we met and I came along with Flint & 2 rabbits. And because I always had a number of pets before we met the number soon grew. We now have 3 dogs, 4 rabbits and 12 guinea pigs...and OH is very good, letting me spend lots of time and money on them all.

I couldn't be with someone who didn't like dogs or pets in general.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 11:20 PM
There wouldn't be much point in me being with someone who didn't like dogs because I spend so much time with them.

My OH likes Teg, isn't as keen on Hocus currently because of his teeth and the huge amount of time and energy he takes up.
When he has grown up a bit he'll like him too.
He would never have his own dog living alone as he is far too lazy!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 11:22 PM
I went on my dogs reaction to my OH as to whether it would go any further - Kiara seems to be brill judge of people She seemed to like him enough so he was allowed to come round some more

The fun really started when Bri (OH) started trying to get them to listen to him when out walkies - Kiara ran rings around him, I was trying my best not to laugh and still do now when I think about it . .

. . Bri was throwing her ball and Kiara kept bringing it back to me so I'd turn my back on her and ignore her, Bri would call her and she'd pick up the ball, walk around to the front of me and drop it then step back so I could pick it up this went on for almost 15 minutes and Bri was trying his hardest not to get frustrated and I was trying not to get dizzy You could hear in his voice that he was getting more and more frustrated and I just kept saying relax and speak with a smile, if you sound wound up ar upset with her she won't come near you, I could almost hear his teeth grating together they were clenched so hard

Eventually she gave up on me and took it to Bri He was so chuffed with himself and I was too for showing so much patience with her

Now 2 and a half years later she really loves him as does Poppy and they both listen to him as much as me now but I've got to admit I felt really jealous at first as they're my dogs and it only took a couple of months to 'turn' them but I'm pleased at the same time if that makes sense

Poppies 'turning' point was not so long ago when she got stung by the wasp, he had man flu at the same time so was curled up on the sofa under a blanket and Poppy got up there with him and they snuggled together all day

Bailey however is my dog and my dog alone, he only listens to Bri when out walkies if I'm not there, the first time Bri took him out Bailey wouldn't leave the car, he just stood at the door waiting for me. He now will have a walk but races back to the car and dashes indoors straight to me when they get home

Bri couldn't love them anymore had they been his from the start
I don't think I could be with someone who doesn't like dogs or is indifferent to them, they play such a big part of my life that I'm afraid 'love me, love my dogs' is definatley apt for me
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 11:27 PM
erm me and Daniel were formed out of a big mess, and at the time no it wasn't a consideration, I just wanted to get the huge mess i'd got myself into. He'd never owned dogs but Sweep LOVES him and really likes sweep and is keen to get another dog if we ever get our own place.

He's a bit of a find that man. haha. Total gem.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 11:40 PM
It wasn't an important consideration at all when I met my hubby. I was pretty wary about dogs way back then and so was he.

Quite how we got to the point where I ended up working with them and the pair of us wouldn't be without one is a long story
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
I couldn't be with someone who didn't like dogs... Things would never have got anywhere near as far with OH if he didn't like them. As it was, when we met he had a dog, and I didn't.

When I got Jake, OH was so excited for me and adored Jake right from the beginning, and helped me choose names etc.

He certainly isn't 'into' dogs, like I am, and I am certain he could live without one... he does adore Jake though, and Jake even gets a greeting before I do when OH comes round to the house! He likes to get Jake treats, play with him and take us to really nice places for different walks. He has admitted, that he wouldn't have a dog of his own because he knows he wouldn't give the dog everything it needs (like having to get up and take the dog out... he likes to do it whenever he feels like) but, he has said that, provided I do all the 'have to' work, I can have however many dogs I want, and whatever breeds I want

He has even agreed, if/when we live together (oh, should have said that for that dogs too ), that I can have any animals I like, but if he doesn't like them (like rats, which I want) I just need to keep them in a room away from him... that is fine by me

I do think my OH is great that way
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »