View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys, I just can't get it out of my head now, what COULD have happened there if ya know what I mean, I would have lost her for sure if she'd tried to swallow that sharp bit wouldn't I I have to watch her like a hawk at all (most!) times, I'm so very glad I'm home all day and night to do just that, coz with puppies you just never know what predicaments they can get themselves into, they don't know any different at this age do they

At first when I felt something strange, I thought it was a long sharp piece of bone, but knew that couldn't possibly be, she doesn't have any bones like that, then I thought it was a loose tooth jammed or something, but when I saw that sharp, white stick going halfway across the top of her mouth I just thought OMG what on earth is that then, never in a million years thinking it was the middle section of a Q-tip!!! Adrenalin took over I'm afraid, I took one deep breath, knowing I had to go in as I did to get my finger nail underneath it, plus another fingers to pull, which meant half my hand quite honestly, bless her, she was sooooo good, I think she knew mummy was going to sort it for her don't you, I hope so! I know she's going to be very phobic towards q-tips now, but I don't see that as a problem! Lol!

It's so very strange that this has happened, because I remember in the first couple of weeks we had Cassie, and as a friend was leaving through a small iron gate, I looked down and saw that Cassie had poked her head right through one of the ring patterns and I thought to myself hmmmm that head's never gonna come out of there, and it didn't!!! We had to ring the blooming fire briggade to come along in the engine with their 40 ton cutters to cut her head out!!!! Again,that puppy new exactly what they were doing, they were helping her, and the firemen couldn't belieeeve now still she stayed whilst they cut around her head! It was horrific for me of course, just like this episode this morning, but then I had half a dozen hunky firemen to calm me down, today I have nobody, only Zena!

Puppies play havoc with your heart-rate at times, but who'd be without them
Oh I feel all better now thanks guys!!!

Our first training class starts tonight and guess what we're going to be doing? Looking in our puppy's mouth!!! Well, I will certainly have a story to tell them tonight won't I, but she probably won't let me look in hers, it might be quite interesting to see if she does actually!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Had the same thing with Selkie when she was a puppy and a stick. It's terrifying isn't it, but what a relief when it's something you can fix yourself

You try to keep them out of trouble and you try to make the house as puppy proof as you can, but they'll always find something wont they Shows she trusts you though

I once pulled a thorn from Selkie's foot, it was a huge thorn and had gone right through! When I pulled it out she was so relieved and clearly thought I was a miracle person, whenever she is hurt or unwell now she rushes straight to me to fix her. She's always so disappointed if I can't make it immediately disappear though...

I wonder if your Zena will be the same with you now?
I'm hoping she will be just like that now, she's been good up to now with different things I've had to do (like washing her bits!lol! and cleaning out her ears, she's fine, unlike my previous puppy who wouldn't let you near her for things like that!) I'm actually hoping this has built another bit of trust between us maybe?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Well done H!!!!!!
I know how you must of felt...my boy dont the same thing with a stick once...its was lodge in the roof of him mouth and he was shaking his head like mad, his tongue hanging out, making this horrible gag grunt ...I though he was having a fit until I saw it logde in his mouth !
I opened his mouth and had to yank it out to....really was frightening, so I know how you feel!
My heart was working treble time....had a big sigh of relief when I got it out and new he would be fine!!!!
Ive never thrown a stick for him since!

Im glad your both ok...shes a good girl letting you take it out, imagine trying to catch her if she didnt let you, rather not think about that!!!!!
I think thats the only down side of owning a dog or pup...its the worry and scares they put us through...but we wouldnt be with out them though -eh!!!!

Big well done to you both!
Thanks hades, sounds like you know EXACTLY where I'm coming from then! My hands are still trembling ya know!!! So, so scarey!

Remember how she used to pick up great big bits of my chippings on the driveway and run off thinking it was a game? Well, over the weeks, with my constant hawk eyes and constant nagging, everytime she got something in her mouth she shouldn't have, I would NOT try and grab her, I would actually walk past her nonchalently type of thing wait until she'd follow me, then say "give" and swap it for a treat every time, and I think that is the ONLY reason she didn't run off this time, because she now knows that if she's got something in her gob she shouldn't have mummy will always, but always be able to take it off her. Sometimes she doesn't do me the honour of actually dropping it like I ask, but she will stand still, she will let me open her gob and shake it out, but of course, this time that didn't work coz it was stuck fast!

I think my guardian angel must be working some serious overtime with the addition of Zena in this household!!! Thanks hades, your story has helped me to recover, slightly!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
How scary! Well done you for finding it.
Glad she's okay though . Hope you will be.
xxx
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Good job you were able to get it out! What a fright!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Aww bless you both!!

Glad you are both ok though
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
How scary! Well done you for finding it.
Glad she's okay though . Hope you will be.
xxx
Thanks Lucky, for once, I didn't go into headless chicken mode, if I had, I would never have been able to do it, so I took one deep breath and went in and got the job done! Lol! I'm all better now, and Zena hasn't stopped kissing me, I'm SURE she knows I helped her out there

Originally Posted by Dilkara View Post
Good job you were able to get it out! What a fright!
I had one chance, and one chance only, coz if I had of dislodged it only without grabbing a tight hold on it, it would have been in her throat and chocked her I CAN do scarey when I have to thank goodness!

Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Aww bless you both!!

Glad you are both ok though
Thanks jesterjenn, it was very scarey at the time, and I certainly don't want to go through it again, but no doubt there'll be others I'll be faced with, that's why I look so oooold now, all these puppies I've had in the past!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Lucky, for once, I didn't go into headless chicken mode, if I had, I would never have been able to do it, so I took one deep breath and went in and got the job done! Lol! I'm all better now, and Zena hasn't stopped kissing me, I'm SURE she knows I helped her out there
Awwwwwwwwwwww, that's lovely!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi,

So plea\sed Zena is OK. Kids (furries and non-furries) always find a way of getting thmselves into scrapes. Since having Yiannis my house has never been so tidy and evne nowe I have to think about what he can get hold of if left alone. Nightmare!

Sounds as though it affected you more than Zena though. Hope you're feeling OK too.

Keep an eye on her mouth just in case of any infeection if there's any broken skin inside. Having said that, the mouth area heals up so quickly you'd probably have noticed if any skin was missing or any cuts.

As for firemen coming to rescue a dog - Zane got his head stuck in the trellis fencing last summer. I thought it was funny at first until he jsut lay down and whimpered. He wasn't in any pain - just stuck. He did look a sight. I hadnothing to break the fence with so my Mom called the fire brigade. They were all kitted out with big gauntlet gloves on - I suppose in case Zane bit them once loose. He jumped up and gave them all kisses. The fireman who actually pulled him out wasn't allowed to leave before being slobbered all over. Dogs really know how to show their appreciation, don't they?!

I reckon tonight Zena could so with some pampering!

Laura xx
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm glad everything worked out ok,it must have been a panicy moment. yay mummy saves the day. did george not come and see what all the fuss was about?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >