Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:42 PM

Just had the fright of my life with Zena

... and I'm shaking like a leaf still!

She was lying nearby with her new calcium bone whilst I was uploading some pics of our walk. I noticed she sloped off looking uncomfortable with her mouth, so I went to check it out. I looked in there, could see nothing, checked all around her teeth, found nothing, so ran my fingers all along the outside of her teeth thinking she might have got something stuck inbetween those and her lips, but still she was very uncomfortable, pawing at her mouth, so I knew there had to be something drastically wrong, it almost looked like she was choking at one point I needed to get right in there, and THANKFULLY I felt something in the top which wasn't right, so bless her, she lied upside down for me so I could open her mouth wide and take a look at inside the top! Thank God I did, coz what she had managed to do was find one of Dave's ear spanners (aka cotton bud!!!)chew it into 3 sections and she had the middle sharp bit stuck half way across her palate and between some teeth!!!! I KNEW I had to do something quite drastic coz it was stuck hard, and although she was being very good, she was objecting to me getting my nail behind it to oink it out, so a tiny bit of brute force came into play, I went in with my whole hand almost grabbed a hold of it and yanked, and I got the whole thing out in one quick sweep! Blooming 'eck, the relief for both of us!!!! She thanked me profusely as only she knows how, and we had a very serious cuddle, I was smothered in kisses and bowled over flat on the floor. I think this dog will trust me forever now, that really was SOME scarey, scarey moment, and IF she had tried to swallow it...... well, I dread to think!!! Dave's in for it now Maybe I might have calmed down a tad by 7pm tonight when he comes home though, hopefully

I was so scared for her, I'm still shaking like a leaf, I had visions of having to rush her down to the vets, but it's amazing what you can do yourself isn't it!!!! Let's hope there's no more episodes like this one, but just think if I'd have been out and had left her with the run of the house I cannot for the life of me think where she got that from either, he only keeps them in his dressing gown pocket which is shut away in his room?! Phew! Thanks for listening I needed to get that lot off!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Good job you spotted something was up straight away, Aitch....

x0x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Good grief,what a fright for you ..and thank goodness you where so intuitive towards her behaviour.

All's well that ends well, so they say..but I would just keep an eye in her for a few days, just incase it pierced the skin, to make sure no infections.

Glad it ended well.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Going to call you the "Q Tip" Queen from now on. Thankfully all now sorted x
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Glad you were 'on the ball' H and your baby is none the worse
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Had the same thing with Selkie when she was a puppy and a stick. It's terrifying isn't it, but what a relief when it's something you can fix yourself

You try to keep them out of trouble and you try to make the house as puppy proof as you can, but they'll always find something wont they Shows she trusts you though

I once pulled a thorn from Selkie's foot, it was a huge thorn and had gone right through! When I pulled it out she was so relieved and clearly thought I was a miracle person, whenever she is hurt or unwell now she rushes straight to me to fix her. She's always so disappointed if I can't make it immediately disappear though...

I wonder if your Zena will be the same with you now?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:59 PM
What a fright H, and you did good keeping calm and finding out the problem, Is her mouth sore at all after all that? Poor baby, good job she has a quick thinking mummy
Elaine xx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
ooohhh goodness and breathe

glad you managed to sort her out, poor thing.

Go have a sweet cup of tea xxxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Blimey - that must have given you both such a fright! Thank goodness you had your wits about you H, and acted quickly.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Well done H!!!!!!
I know how you must of felt...my boy dont the same thing with a stick once...its was lodge in the roof of him mouth and he was shaking his head like mad, his tongue hanging out, making this horrible gag grunt ...I though he was having a fit until I saw it logde in his mouth !
I opened his mouth and had to yank it out to....really was frightening, so I know how you feel!
My heart was working treble time....had a big sigh of relief when I got it out and new he would be fine!!!!
Ive never thrown a stick for him since!

Im glad your both ok...shes a good girl letting you take it out, imagine trying to catch her if she didnt let you, rather not think about that!!!!!
I think thats the only down side of owning a dog or pup...its the worry and scares they put us through...but we wouldnt be with out them though -eh!!!!

Big well done to you both!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >