Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Jimmi's paws.......AGAIN

I have just sneaked on here - supposed to be doing some things on the computer for husband.

This morning, went in to the kitchen to find Jimmi on three legs; one of the usual suspects, his front right paw, was red and swollen between the pads - looking very "tight", and obviously causing him great pain.
So, cursing the fact that these things like to happen on Sundays, in we all trundled to the emergency vet. We spent a long time discussing whether to leave it or lance it, and given that the vet (not our usual one, but we have seen her before) couldn't see an obvious spot to prick, we decided to leave the knife in it's drawer for the time being. He had a hefty AB injection, plus a painkiller and once we got home I started on the salt water routine. He was still very sorry for himself four hours later and couldn't put any weight on the paw so I was beginning to wonder if we would have to go back. Then he fell asleep on top of me, and at about 3.30 he woke up with a start........there was a patch of wet (not pus though) on my jeans, and after he had given his paw a thorough cleaning he jumped off and walked almost normally. He is still walking with only a tiny limp now, and although there is a sore looking patch beneath one pad most of the swelling has gone down and he is much happier in himself. Thank goodness.

The thing is - in the past with the other vet, the follow up course of AB tablets were started last thing at night on the same day as the injection which sometimes was given much later than it was in this instance (9.30 a.m.), but this vet has said to give him his first one tomorrow morning. I want to keep on top of this recovery, and feel that it is a long time between 9.30 a.m and 8 tomorrow, so wonder if it would be okay to give his first tablet at about 11.30 tonight?? Oh drat, I wish that I had thought to ask her, but at the time I was rather stressed and worried.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Not sure what I would do
Is it the same antibiotic and the same dose and was the injection the same strength?
If it was a stronger injection or long acting one this could be why the vet said wait til tomorrow
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Not sure what I would do
Is it the same antibiotic and the same dose and was the injection the same strength?
If it was a stronger injection or long acting one this could be why the vet said wait til tomorrow
You are right........it could be a long acting jab, and possibly stronger than usual because of the circumstances. You have helped me to make up my mind Nippy, I will leave it until the morning. Thank you.

He is fast asleep again at my feet, so will get on with my "work"!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I think I would do as the vet said in case its a stronger/different type of AB injection he had this time. I can sympathise. It's so easy to get along fine...but once the appear again it's a bit of a nightmare really.

Hope everything clears up fine. I would probably stick to cleaning and drying the whole paw and wait until morning for his tablet but (don't know if you feed them) give raw frozen bones to eat too. (my dog would be 'at' them forever when they came up if I didn't tire him somehow/keep him busy! then get more lumps...)

Poor wee guy, it must be so painful for them!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Hope he will be alright and that you can see an improvement in the morning. It's not that long to wait really
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I think I would do as the vet said in case its a stronger/different type of AB injection he had this time. I can sympathise. It's so easy to get along fine...but once the appear again it's a bit of a nightmare really.

Hope everything clears up fine. I would probably stick to cleaning and drying the whole paw and wait until morning for his tablet but (don't know if you feed them) give raw frozen bones to eat too. (my dog would be 'at' them forever when they came up if I didn't tire him somehow/keep him busy! then get more lumps...)

Poor wee guy, it must be so painful for them!
Oh thank you for your advice and support - yes it must be dreadfully painful, and I would do absolutely anything to prevent these episodes but there is nothing I can do. As he has been okay throughout the Summer, I was beginning to wonder if it was wet weather and mud that caused the trouble, but we still have rock hard ground here having had virtually no rain for months, and so that theory goes out of the window. I wish that I could give him frozen bones to keep him occupied (he has just started licking his paw again so I have put him on my knee to distract him, and typing is difficult) but he only has salmon and potato, or certain vegetables. I tried him once or twice with a raw carrot, but he was not impressed

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Hope he will be alright and that you can see an improvement in the morning. It's not that long to wait really
I shall be up with the lark, and keeping everything crossed when I open that kitchen door!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh thank you for your advice and support - yes it must be dreadfully painful, and I would do absolutely anything to prevent these episodes but there is nothing I can do. As he has been okay throughout the Summer, I was beginning to wonder if it was wet weather and mud that caused the trouble, but we still have rock hard ground here having had virtually no rain for months, and so that theory goes out of the window. I wish that I could give him frozen bones to keep him occupied (he has just started licking his paw again so I have put him on my knee to distract him, and typing is difficult) but he only has salmon and potato, or certain vegetables. I tried him once or twice with a raw carrot, but he was not impressed

I shall be up with the lark, and keeping everything crossed when I open that kitchen door!
just wondering if you could soak his food in a kong and then freeze for later....so his diet isn't changing...but hopefully you wont need to! They always seem to just spring up dont they which leaves no clue as to why...Hope all is well tomorrow. You never know, perhaps this vet has given a stronger, different type that will help more, and you did get him there quick-style so that should help. Fingers crossed here!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
just wondering if you could soak his food in a kong and then freeze for later....so his diet isn't changing...but hopefully you wont need to! They always seem to just spring up dont they which leaves no clue as to why...Hope all is well tomorrow. You never know, perhaps this vet has given a stronger, different type that will help more, and you did get him there quick-style so that should help. Fingers crossed here!
Somehow it is so comforting to "talk" to a fellow sufferer as it were Now you are going to think that I am putting obstacles in the way of every suggestion here....BUT, Jimmi does have a kong, a nice terrier sized one that I have stuffed with not only his kibble but also fresh salmon in the past. Well, the ridiculous dog is frightened of this rolling thing! Mind you, he is frightened of balls too, so goodness only knows what happened in the past to make him so.
Off to tickle his tummy for a while, that always distracts him! Husbands typing will have to wait.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 08:40 AM
How is Jimmi today?
I hope he has had a bit of relief overnight.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 02:31 PM
How is Jimmie's paw today? Did he get some relief last night? Hope he is a little better x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >