Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 10:37 PM

Tips to start separating my dogs in the house alone

My 2 Kita's Keisha, 3 and Zeke, 7 have always been together, ever since Keisha was a pup she has never been alone in the house when we're out without Zeke.

I know that is terrible, but we've had no reason to seperate one from the other alone in the house, and I always think that dogs will live forever.

Zeke can be left alone, he was an only dog for 6 months before we got keisha. But Keisha - never.

We plan to start seperating them this week, slowly and only a couple of short periods a week to start with - Zeke has cancer and is going for weekly Chemo treatments for many months, and also the inevitable, he can't be cured of this awful disease so one day Keisha will become an only dog.

I plan to start tomorrow, Zeke has a short vets visit to get his stitches out. The vets is local so I'm thinking 30 minutes max.

TIPS!!! Help! Keisha will go mad She isn't crate trained despite being a bit of a chewer as a pup, but we solved this with toys, kongs and bones...and the odd dvd left on for her and a long walk in the morning .

Do I leave her in a section of the house, I'm thinking kitchen, lounge and dining room, no free run incase she goes on a rampage?

Of course I will leave lots of toys etc, hide treats, a frozen kong with her breakfast in.

Seriously thinking about setting the video camera up somewhere up high!

I will lock all external doors and firmly shut windows!

Has anybody been through this before, can anyone offer any advice?

p.s the neighbours are on holiday so noise isn't an issue!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi Lucie you may be worrying unnecessarily and Keisha could be fine. I would make sure if you can that she has a good walk before being left then leave her in the kitchen or wherever her bed is and she normally sleeps.
I would leave the radio on to mask sounds and go out with a minimum of fuss, no word no eye contact just go. She will probably sleep anyway.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 08:16 AM
My dog when small had SA he has never been left alone always had my other two dogs if he was shut in another room he would rip the floor up the get to them. A few weeks ago I had to take my children out for the day and the two other dogs had got the a bag of food they shouldn't of had and had very bad diarrhea it was a sunny day so I made a bed for them in the shed and left the door open so they had the run of the garden they are 13 so no worry about them trying to runoff. I left the other dog who is three alone in the house left all door open so he didn't think the other were in anther room and try to get in their by digging under the door. I was expecting him the chew something but nothing he was chilled out alseep when we got home. So she may be okay.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I agree with mini, she may be fine.

As mini said, keep fuss to a minimum, but do say goodbye quickly, to let her know you're going.

Sometimes sneaking out while they're eating then concerns them because they can't find you. Leave her lots to do and keep her sectioned off , I would say in one room only.

It may help to draw the curtains so that she can't be upset by anything outside.

With regards the radio, this is good for masking other noises and not making the house feel so quiet, however - don't always put it on just before you go out. Have it on while you're in, then leave it on when you go out. If you put the radio on each time you go out, it'll become a cue for you leaving and that alone may worry her.

But seriously, don't panic - she may be fine!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys, I left the tele (not something i would do all day but i don't have a radio) I confined her to the lounge and diner - she can see both the front garden and back garden from there! I didn't make any fuss as suggested and.....

she was FINE! I'm so proud of her, she had somehow managed to flip the very heavy rug with the coffee table on it practically upside down but I'll let her off, no damage done I expect she was just charging around a bit at some point! Next one - Zeke's chemo on Wednesday - could be gone up to 3 hours

Thanks again xxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Thanks guys, I left the tele (not something i would do all day but i don't have a radio) I confined her to the lounge and diner - she can see both the front garden and back garden from there! I didn't make any fuss as suggested and.....

she was FINE! I'm so proud of her, she had somehow managed to flip the very heavy rug with the coffee table on it practically upside down but I'll let her off, no damage done I expect she was just charging around a bit at some point! Next one - Zeke's chemo on Wednesday - could be gone up to 3 hours

Thanks again xxxx
Hi Lucie pleased to hear all was well.

There is a big difference between leaving a puppy and and leaving an adult dog. If Keisha has a good play and run before being left and you go out each time with no fuss I am sure she will sleep most of the time you are away and be fine.

Try not to stress about leaving her or she may pick up on this and you need to be calm for Zeke too....
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 06:52 PM
I am sorry to hear of your boys illness

Ref seperating them I am glad it was fine today xxx