Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Iluvmidaxies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2007, 11:59 AM

Show novice

Hi
I am new to this forum and new to showing. I have taken my daughter to a few small shows, a long time ago, but would like to get serious. I assume I start by taking my puppy to ringcraft classes. Any other advice? I am a complete novice. How do I find out about shows in my area? I subscribed to our dogs paper but there doesn't seem anything local to get me started. Will they have details of shows at ringcraft? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!!
hollie01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2007, 12:39 PM
well me and Tia only started 3 months ago, we started by going to ring craft and then some companion dog shows, and 2 weeks ago i went to our 1st open show!
i have pm'd you with some details of shows ect.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi

One of the first things I'd do is contact the Dachshund Club of Wales http://www.thedachshundclubofwales.co.uk/ They can give you info of local shows with Dachie classes which I suggest you go and watch. The Club will also offer you membership and the list of members will probably give you some contacts in your area. Read and learn as much about your breed as possible. Watch everything going on in the dachie rings.

HTH

Debs
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 01:26 PM
The Kennelclub site should have a list of shows for you to look at & most ringcrafts have schedules for local shows available. Good luck with your showing but remember first or last you're taking the best dog home.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Ringcraft, yes definitely, you and the dogs will learn and it is surprising what you pick up standing in the queue waiting for your turn. Many hold monthly match nights which is excellent practice. They will also have schedules of shows but these go pretty quickly. You may meet a fellow Dachsie exhibitor who could give you plenty of help too!
Good luck!
Iluvmidaxies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Hi

One of the first things I'd do is contact the Dachshund Club of Wales http://www.thedachshundclubofwales.co.uk/ They can give you info of local shows with Dachie classes which I suggest you go and watch. The Club will also offer you membership and the list of members will probably give you some contacts in your area. Read and learn as much about your breed as possible. Watch everything going on in the dachie rings.

HTH

Debs
I tried the dachshund club of Wales, went to their show at Tydfil. Was told i couldn't join the club as i had to be referred. only just relocated so don't know anyone in Daxies here yet!!
Iluvmidaxies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. We went to a companion dog show on Saturday:
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_101_1649.jpg
This is my beautiful daughter and our 2 wirehaired mini's!!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmidaxies View Post
I tried the dachshund club of Wales, went to their show at Tydfil. Was told i couldn't join the club as i had to be referred. only just relocated so don't know anyone in Daxies here yet!!
Must say I'm disappointed by that reply from the club, if they said only trial membership or affiliate membership to start with I could understand but all my original posative experience ehen I started in dogs & when I first started showing was provided by a breed club, a club of which I am still a member 54 years later & we still try our best to help newcomers.
Iluvmidaxies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Must say I'm disappointed by that reply from the club, if they said only trial membership or affiliate membership to start with I could understand but all my original posative experience ehen I started in dogs & when I first started showing was provided by a breed club, a club of which I am still a member 54 years later & we still try our best to help newcomers.
Yes I was quite taken aback by it. Hopefully, if they keep seeing me around at shows (I'm hard to miss), I will get a more positive response. The secretary did say I could call her if I needed advice.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Unfortunately, some breed clubs can be a bit "precious". Are there others you could try? In my breed there are several in the UK, some people prefer one or two over the others for whatever reason, so there is some choice. Regarding "referrals" it's surprising how many complete strangers will sign you up!
Can your breeder help at all?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >