Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Headcollars?

I was reading another thread regarding headcollars and it got me wondering what the differences are between them. I mean, they're all basically the same design, only differences I can see are that some attach behind the head and some underneath.? So what makes any one better than another? What other features are there that I should be looking at?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I think the Dogmatic has an extra piece of material that stops it riding into the eyes as much as the halti does.
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I think there are pro's and con's to each depending on the breed you have (face shape) and your dogs temperament.

Personally, I find the Gentle Leader works well with most dogs, as it is designed to fit snug, and thus does not ride up into the dogs eyes.

On the other hand, I know people who prefer the halti, however it is designed to fit more loose, which means it tends to ride up onto the dogs eyes. I also find it is very very easy for a dog to escape from. I have never seen a dog escape a gentle leader, but have seen plenty escape a halti.

I have no experience with the others, but I know there is the dogmatic and the canny collar.
bingblazenskyla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2010, 09:13 PM
i use a canny collar on one of my dogs (the others dont pull)

i like it because it doesnt attach from under the chin so if the dog lunges it doesnt whip his head round - possibly causing damage to the dogs neck, it doesnt rise up into his eyes, and it also doesnt rub the fur off his muzzle - like others can , it can also be used as a normal collar when its not needed to be used as a head collar
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I have used both halti and gentle leader

Indie85
I think there are pro's and con's to each depending on the breed you have (face shape) and your dogs temperament.

Personally, I find the Gentle Leader works well with most dogs, as it is designed to fit snug, and thus does not ride up into the dogs eyes.

On the other hand, I know people who prefer the halti, however it is designed to fit more loose, which means it tends to ride up onto the dogs eyes. I also find it is very very easy for a dog to escape from. I have never seen a dog escape a gentle leader, but have seen plenty escape a halti.

I have no experience with the others, but I know there is the dogmatic and the canny collar.
and i agree with Indie85,
I have found with Poppy my ESS the gentle leader works best, it seems to fit her head better than the halti, as she doesn't lunge out she just pulls like a steam train,
I have been using the gentle leader at the start of the walk, then once she calms down, i clip the lead onto her collar, she has improved loads.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:35 PM
I've tried most of them and they seem to have pros and cons. The Halti always rode up into the eyes on whatever dog I used them on, but they do have the benefit of being able to be used under a muzzle if necessary (and very easy to carry in your pocket). The Gentle Leader I tried kept loosening and falling off, might've been a dodgy fixing on it but wasn't impressed. Canny Collar made my dog make a horrible rasping noise and didn't really stop the pulling either! My favourite has to be the Dogmatic, but I've only tried the leather one. I think because the leather is solid and they're more like a horse bridle, the shape is pretty secure so it tends to stay where you put it - meaning as long as it fits well, it doesn't rub, ride up, loosen, etc. I would say that the loop around the mouth doesn't close as much/quickly as the Halti so whilst the Halti had the benefit of you being able to clamp the dog's mouth shut if necessary, the Dogmatics don't really do that, but then again, I haven't come into a situation where I've needed to do that anyway.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Indie85 View Post

useless on my flea,and yes the halti rides up horribly

the dogmatics 'flappy bit' seem so end up round my dogs mouth (but i use one for tupac)
and it also seems to rub hair off

canny collar didnt stop meathead flea either lol.

i quite like the gencon all in one.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't particularly like them, but can see the need for them in some cases as a maintenance measure until training kicks in.

The one I would tend to go for would be the Kumfi dogalter as it has adjustable sides which means it can be fitted away from the eyes so is much safer.

Word of warning, if you're going to use a headcollar, always fit a safety strap that attaches between the headcollar and normal collar as some dogs are Houdinis.

Alternatively, use a double ended lead and attach one end to the normal collar or harness and the other to the headcollar.

Another word of advice, make sure you introduce the dog to the headcollar over quite a number of days to build up a positive association with it before attempting a walk - kinder to the dog.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. Its useful to hear how they actually work, rather than just the website descriptions. Most people seem to use the under the chin fasteners then, rather than the behind the head?

These seem to be the most common makes
Halti
Dogmatic
Canny Collar
Gencon
Dogalter
Gentle Leader

Any I've missed? has anyone heard of/tried this one
http://www.agilitywarehouse.com/prod...il.cfm?id=3187
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 10:01 AM
I have designed one that leads from the back of the head and under the chin.

I used it on my boy Sam as he was so strong when he knew he was going to the park for a walk, anywhere else he was a dream, I tried a Halti and another brand on him but they rode up into his eyes, and when adjusted so they wouldn't they stopped his mouth opening properly.

Any excuse for a picture of my gorgeous boy
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »