Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:46 PM

Oh No Not Again

For the third time in 18 months and the last time only a short time ago it is looking like Milo has gone down with Kennel cough yet again as he has suddenly started coughing and wretching tonight.
Is it more prevailent now or something? as up until a few years ago I had never had a dog with it ever.
Poor little lad is not looking too happy.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Could it be something other than kennel cough. Strange he keeps having it.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't know if kennel cough is on the increase or not but I just wanted to say poor Milo, hope he is on the mend soon. xx
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 09:03 PM
On Provet they say `At this time of the year veterinarians see a large number of coughing dogs and the cause is frequently described as "kennel cough" ` but they dont indicte which particular time of year

One thing I would take a guess at is it being more prevalent in warmer weather because more dogwalkers tend to surface and it was warm here during what would have been the incubation time, plus most bugs generally thrive in warmer weather anyway and die off when its cold.

Looks like he wont be meeting my little guest for a while then, until he`s clear of being infectious, poor little lad

He`s such lovely boy, he really deserves a break from poorliness
Give him a big hug from me please :smt001
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Poor thing ,afraid i carnt help with the whats and whys but ,just thought i'd mntion something that a vet told me last year when we mention that ,gemma was going into kennels while we were on holiday ,he said regarding kennel cough ,innoculations ,some kennels insist the dog has them being they will have them ,but as our one did'nt ,his advice was not to have it,as in his opinion ,kennel cough is one of those things ,that innoculations DONT work for ,saying that if the kennel cough virus was already at the kennel when gemma arrived ,no vaccine was going to stop her getting it ,and only MIGHT make it less sever !!!!!!!!!! sounds incrediable i know ,but we took his advice didnt have gemma done and thankfully she was fine ,hope this helps a bit . and wish your little boy well soon .
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Don't know if there is more about at the moment but do know some dogs are more suseptable than others had two litter brothers & their mother, every time there was a case in the area, the one brother would get it,the other two never did in spite of having the same vaccinations , same food & suppliments & going to the same places. The bitch actually travelled to the vets with him while he was ill & never got it. The vet said, some dogs just don't pick up an immunity either naturally or with the vaccine,
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Poor Milo hope he is better soon.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 12:36 PM
So sorry to hear Milo is Coughing again, would be inclined to have it investigated further though just to be on the safe side

As far as the Kennel cough Nosode is concerned I've always believed that it just helps lessen the impact/severity should the dog get it and as I work in a boarding kennel where it's a requirement that the dog has it done before coming in, I personally think its a good idea unless your dog has had a severe reaction to it in the past, we have a wide age range of dogs staying with us from young pups to the elderly who are the most vunerable should they get kennel cough - could you imagine a spate of kennel cough going through a kennels and wiping out half the boarders simply because they had no immunity to it ..... BTW there is no way of preventing kennel cough as it is airborne and there are many different strains of Kennel cough, at least if you vaccine against it, your dog has a better chance of fighting it ..... just my opinion
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=DippyLeo;1022812]So sorry to hear Milo is Coughing again, would be inclined to have it investigated further though just to be on the safe side

I would agree with this
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Well its not Kennel Cough as he hasn't done it since last night, so can only presume he had irritated his throat in some way or one of his allergys had set him off .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >