Female 

13-10-2006, 04:15 PM
cheeky but in total agreement
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 07:08 PM
"
There is no clinical evidence to suggest that high protein levels increase occurrence of kidney disorder in dogs"
Some dogs can suffer with kidney stones if fed a diet high in protein - one of the breeds known to suffer in this way is the dalmatian although there are others.

I don't know much about it myself but do know of people who have had dogs with bladder stones caused by too much protein in their diet.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Hi Lizziel, I am not sure who told you this, but excess protien does not mean accumulation of crystals eventually forming the mass known as a kidney stone...

it is not known excatly for why kidney stones start to form, but the reason they exist is because in urine (which the kidney filters water and wastes to produce) there exists a chemical which stops the build up of the minerals, and in people who get kidney stones (and dogs for that matter) these inhibitors seem not to be present, allowing the build up of the minerals to form crystals within the high concentrations.
It is an old wives tale which some people still tell that excess protien is bad for dogs. While it is not a suitable to have a high protien diet for people, dogs are built to thrive on it...
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 09:26 AM
was just going to add a bit more...

my brother became paraylsed a few years ago from the waist down, and for some unknown reason started forming kidney stones.... his diet had not changed, but it is well known that in paraplegics some bodily functions switch off, some people become diabetic for example, for an unknown reason...

I bet some breeds are more prone to kidney stones, as once upon a time a dog that couldn't dissolve it's minerals was put to another that couldn't and all their offspring couldn't! Happens more than we know!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2