View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Not sure how I missed this thread. I am so sorry that Loki has been fitting so much poor Loki and poor you.

Everything crossed here that Loki's vet visit goes well her dose can be sorted to stop them. ((hugs)).
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

06-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Many thanks Malka and Lynne. Loki had another about half an hour ago! The panting is awful.

It would be lovely if epilepsy could be cured both in humans and in dogs!

Thanks again
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Oh Rose, I'm sorry to hear Loki has had so many fits. Has the vet increased the dose at all?

My Loki went 6 weeks fit-free last time and had four fits. He is now on 90 mg phenobarb twice a day and 650 mg bromide in the morning, 487.5 mg in the evening.

I really feel for you Rose. I know how difficult this is for you, dealing with it all.

Big hugs.
xxx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
It has always been the post-ictal I found almost impossible to cope with - because it went on for hours and hours.

And it does not matter that Pereg has been sz-free for what is a good time now, the fear is always with me. That horrible sound of a sz starting - and the vocalisation - because there is no cure, is there - just hope for control. And yes, at the moment Pereg's epi is under control but then again so is her Vet's epi under control at the moment, but he knows that any second he could have a full blown GM just as I know Pereg can.

Difference is, of course, he has another GM he loses his driving licence for another year, although it has been a long time since the last time for him. Not sure what medication he takes - I have never asked him. But I am 100% sure that his care of Pereg is because he himself is also epi.

But the knowledge that Pereg is not cured, just on a wonderful sz-free streak, is terrifying. The slightest strange noise from her keeps me aware 24 hours of the day/night, because I know that one time that noise is going to indicate the start of another GM.

And I honestly do not know if I will be capable of looking after her if it all starts again.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

06-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Many thanks Jenny.G, Linda and Malka. Good to hear that cousin Loki was fit free for 4 wees. Loki's last clusters were 5 January when she had 10 And also good to hear that Pereg is doing so well. Hugs to him from me xx

About a little over 2 years ago, Loki was fit free for well over a year! Then they started again, just one though about every few months. Last Novembe she took about 2 and then beginning Decemer she had 1 only.

The receptionist called me back this morning with word from the vet, I had to go down for 9.45 am to get Loki's Phenobarbs - and Rectal Diazepam. I didn't want to put her back on te RD because it take the legs from her. I picked them up, so now she is back on her old tablets again I gave her 3 when I came in at 10.30 am. and her potassium bromide and her milk thistle - I started to give her the full strength milk thistle!

So fingers crossed, please, again.

And Linda, hugs to cousin Loki from his cousin Loki and from me

Loki is sleeping on the kitchenette floor again! Nice and cool for her on the tiles!

Many thanks to everyone again for the goo wishes. They are much appreciated xx
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 12:37 PM
fingers crossed for Loki here x x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-03-2013, 01:01 PM
I have never tried rectal Diazepam on [in?] Pereg because even if it is available here I would not be able to give it to her. Not because of psychological but becase of physical reasons. I do have oral Diazepam 5mg tablets and can, if necessary, give her 10mg up to about a maximum of 50mg over a 12 hour period, but it takes so long to take effect that I rarely used it. But it is to hand if necessary, although I always gave her either a full 50mg dose of Pb as soon as she had come out of a sz, or sometimes even a double, ie 100mg dose if I could not get her out of it.

Mainly with Pereg the only thing that would stop the then post-ictal terribles was just giving her food, food and more food. Which is probably why she went from 17kg to 20.8kg in 5 months, but there were times, especially towards the end of that terrible 6 months that I was almost stuffing her with Pb to try to stop the clusters.

Do not ask how she and I got through it all, because I have no idea.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 01:45 PM
So sorry I missed this thread Rose, and I'm even more sorry to hear about poor Loki again Sending everything we've got that there's an end to this cluster now for her. Poor, poor girl, and I know you always do everything you can to help her. Sorry to hear about your poor leg too. All the best with her Rose.xxxx
Meg
Supervisor

06-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi Rosemary, what a worry for you I hope the change of meds proves helpful to poor Loki, give her a hug from me....x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm glad you have managed to sort out Loki's meds Rose, fingers crossed they help her.

Mr Loki went over a year fit-free too, then they came back. It is an unpredictable condition, especially when, like our dogs they are prone to large clusters and so often and hard to control.

I'm sorry you have had to go down the diazepam route again. We haven't needed it since we started medicating Loki with the phenobarb - so far.

I hope Loki is over this latest episode and that you can get the number of fits down again.

What doses is she on now? We just had Loki's blood tested and his liver function is fine and there is still a little room for increasing the PB should we need to. The worry is that you have to increase and then the side effects kick in and the risk of liver damage.

It's so hard, I know. Huge hugs to you.
xxx
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >