Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 04:10 PM

Fostering, any info that could help?

HI

I would love to foster dogs, always have wanted to, but unfortunately bruno is not keen on other dogs at all, so have never been able to offer my home as an option.

What i am interested to find out is if there is anyone who had a dog who did not like others and went ahead and started fostering, and how you did it.

Bruno has met 3 dogs that he has loved - all bitches and has tolerated them very well ( adored 2 of them) but its always been outdoors and never in the home.

I am just interested to see if its something that can be overcome or not.

Any comments ..honest opinions totally appreciated.

thanks
dani
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
in haven't fostered Dani...well not really.
Biff has never been fussed on other dogs outside. He has always been a bit loud around them! It got worse when he lost his sight in one eye and when we lost Mo.

BUT
He readily accepts new puppies and dogs into the home. (Never tried a male adolescent though). He may grumble if they bounce too much but he has never (touch wood) followed it through with a bite.

I would talk to the rescue you are interested in and see what they say...you never know...he may actually find it easier in the home, you just can't tell.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
in haven't fostered Dani...well not really.
Biff has never been fussed on other dogs outside. He has always been a bit loud around them! It got worse when he lost his sight in one eye and when we lost Mo.

BUT
He readily accepts new puppies and dogs into the home. (Never tried a male adolescent though). He may grumble if they bounce too much but he has never (touch wood) followed it through with a bite.

I would talk to the rescue you are interested in and see what they say...you never know...he may actually find it easier in the home, you just can't tell.
thanks A - i think my worst fear is that I would try to do it and dog would have to go straight back to rescue as bruno was awful OR that something awful happened and he attacked the dog...

It would definetly only be able to be bitches as thats the only dogs he has ever tolerated and it would have to be gradual introduction etc.
I am kinda thinking aloud, i mean it would either be oldies or for staffie rescue.

just thinking about it just now, as not sure how it would work with Luca only being 2 too...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Dani as you know Maddy is not too happy with other dogs but she accepted Star within 10 minutes and is generally better with pups, also once she gets to know other dogs then she is fine, might Bruno be the same if he gets on with some and not others?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Dani as you know Maddy is not too happy with other dogs but she accepted Star within 10 minutes and is generally better with pups, also once she gets to know other dogs then she is fine, might Bruno be the same if he gets on with some and not others?
the only ones he has got on with have been calm bitches that dont get in his face too much. But then having said that i have only ever walked him with them on that basis and stay away from other dog walkers on a day to day basis as he just kicks off and/or people dont really want to let their dogs play with staffies ....

its never been indoors either only ever outside, although he was in the same car with one of his girlfriends and was fine.