Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 01:45 PM

I thought docking was illegal?

I'm very confused now (not like me I know!!! )

I've just been idly surfing and looking at Rottie litters (no, not thinking of buying, just being nosey as you do!!) and two breeders (UK based) had 'this litter will be legally docked' on their advert. I double-checked that it was a current litter and they both are this years pups.

Now, I understood that it was illegal totally to dock for cosmetic purposes and also show a docked dog after the deadline of April? How come they are being advertised as 'legally docked'

Anyone enlighten me?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Maybe they were brought over from Ireland or Northern Ireland

I have noticed quite a few docked boxers lately and they don't look like nicely bred boxers. It seems to be the bybs that still dock up here anyway
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Do they come across as puppy farmers? Just a thought as many dogs on puppy farms in wales i believe are from ireland.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I thought so too, unless from Ireland. Only docking allowed is if you have a working breed that is actually going to be used for working I thought?
And rotties don't fall under that category as far as I know.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Ahh, now that I've peeked again - ONE litter is in fact Irish based - the other breeder though is based in Britain, but the Sire is an Irish champ.

Would that mean the pups would have to be born in Ireland to be able to be legally docked?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 01:59 PM
If they were bred here then they are just saying that AM to try and fool people, there is noway you can legally dock a rottie. You can legally dock a weim if they are to be a working dog (how you know at 3 days of age i'm yet to be told!) but not a rottie, not in the UK. People have realised that most now know about the docking ban, so to put 'legally docked' as would be viable on a litter of docked gundogs is not on a litter of rotts/boxers/dobes e.t.c...

I'm just popping out but would you PM the affixes and i'll reply later. x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
If they were bred here then they are just saying that AM to try and fool people, there is noway you can legally dock a rottie. You can legally dock a weim if they are to be a working dog (how you know at 3 days of age i'm yet to be told!) but not a rottie, not in the UK. People have realised that most now know about the docking ban, so to put 'legally docked' as would be viable on a litter of docked gundogs is not on a litter of rotts/boxers/dobes e.t.c...

I'm just popping out but would you PM the affixes and i'll reply later. x
i would also question if they have been docked in ireland then assume mummy would be in ireland and therefore pups would be sold away from mummy, which screams puppy farmer to me !!!
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2009, 02:17 PM
I recently saw a rottie pup and he was docked he was only young so i think the BYB are still getting away with it
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh hang on - it's my fault

When I've double-checked I've mis-read where they were based (the next litter down was UK based) - in fact BOTH of these litters are Irish bred. OOPS, Sorry everyone!!!! I'm dead embarrased now!! Will go stand in the corner with my dunces hat on now!!!

So, as long as they are Irish-bred it's legal to dock them
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Oh hang on - it's my fault

When I've double-checked I've mis-read where they were based (the next litter down was UK based) - in fact BOTH of these litters are Irish bred. OOPS, Sorry everyone!!!! I'm dead embarrased now!! Will go stand in the corner with my dunces hat on now!!!

So, as long as they are Irish-bred it's legal to dock them

Yes but Anne-Maria the pup i saw was in Blackpool and the people dont look the sort who would pay to import from Ireland
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >