Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2006, 10:57 AM

Every Cloud....

I've been ill over the past few days which has restricted me from being at the computer as much. Mix that with the fact that Blondi is in season and so isn't as active or as cheerful as usual and you have quite a sedate house.

The other night, she looked glum and I felt it so I decided to hide her ball (Her favourite toy by far.) She then entered the room, sniffed my hand and then went sniffing around the room to find it. (Mixed with me whispering "find it") Sure enough she did.

Just luck, I figured. So I tried again, several times, in various parts of the house, in cupboards, etc. Sure enough, I don't think I've ever seen her as happy as she is when she's put to use as a sniffer dog. I've pretty much run out of places to hide things now!

I'm really quite proud of her and am going to see how far I can develop this new-found skill. If we both hadn't have been out of sorts, I may never have found this out about her!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 12:09 PM
A game Zuki loves is find mummy, I sneak off and hide then i call her, she goes crazy when she eventually finds me. The best thing is when I hide behind something and can see her searching and she cannot she me I tend to give the game away a lot by giggling
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 12:11 PM
What a clever girl she is!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Most dogs love hide and seek with humans/treats or toys it is very good mental stimulation for them . My son used to hide from Amy, when he left home Amy used to look for him everywhere including behind the curtains to see if he was still hiding there .
Hope you are better GSDLover
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Yep, Abby too, loves to go sniffing. When I tell her to seek, her tail wags away, all the time, then when she finds it, she looks at me, as much as to say, DONE IT AGAIN!!!!

I have been doing this in the house and garden for a couple of months, and it seems that the more she does it, the keener her sense of smell gets.

I am now dropping items when we go walking, and getting her to backtrack for them. She loves it
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ray
I am now dropping items when we go walking, and getting her to backtrack for them. She loves it
That sounds like a good idea! I'm going to try that too when she comes out of season and can start walking again.

I hear what you're saying about the expression when they find it -- I can almost hear the "GO ME!, GO ME!" when she finds the object.