Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2015, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I do believe my dog should be grateful by not biting at me for touching him. Too much to ask? .
No its not to much to ask, but your belief that your dog SHOULD be grateful to you for giving him a home is "humanizing" your dog. dogs do not have the capacity to think like that.

As Lynn said, what would you do if one day (out of character ) your dog snapped/bit you, would you ask no questions and put the dog in the pound?

Dogs are not robots they have off days , and if we all took a black and white attitude as you seem to have, they would never have a second chance.

One needs to understand canine behaviour and accept they are not little robots that do everything o plan and have the forethought to understand how lucky they are and give back the thanks the owner demands.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Yes if my dog bit me for seemingly no reason, I'd immediately consider him unpredictable and potentially dangerous. With my living situation, unfortunately that means he must go ASAP Thankfully I've never had this problem. Playing around with dogs as large as mine that bite unprovoked isn't something I'm able to do. I realize dogs are not robots and I've been growled at a few times, which is acceptable, but unprovoked bites with no warning? Unacceptable.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Yes if my dog bit me for seemingly no reason, I'd immediately consider him unpredictable and potentially dangerous. With my living situation, unfortunately that means he must go ASAP Thankfully I've never had this problem. Playing around with dogs as large as mine that bite unprovoked isn't something I'm able to do. I realize dogs are not robots and I've been growled at a few times, which is acceptable, but unprovoked bites with no warning? Unacceptable.
I don't suppose it would even enter your head the dog may be ill or in pain !!!
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Poor dog having to belong to an idiot owner like that!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2015, 04:57 PM
An idiot? Wow. Call me whatever names you like, but I've never had to give up a dog for biting me and I suspect I never will. My dogs have all been in pain and haven't BITTEN me for me trying to help them, so whatever. Even when my previous dog was in severe pain from a fight, he didn't BITE ME for trying to help him.

Both my dogs had limps for various reasons and didn't BITE ME when I checked on them, even though the bad one that needed strong pain medication did produce a yelp. Random extreme pain causing a bite? My dogs have never even thought about biting me when they were in pain. They knew I wasn't the one hurting them.

How can a gentle rub on the head cause enough pain to provoke a bite? Why act like I pick them up or twist them around etc like this guy did? My physical contact with my dogs is limited to gentle rubs mostly on their skulls and forelegs. My dogs are 55+ lbs. Are you serious? Boy, boy, boy. In any case, I said a seemingly unprovoked bite would be unacceptable, and I meant it.

Since some ridiculous woman has decided to call me names and assume my dogs are in poor shape when they are both actually perfectly fine. I'm an idiot for having never been bitten by my dogs, okay lady. I'm glad I can't confront you, because that was extremely uncalled for. I'm done with this thread because I really almost said something extremely nasty that might have gotten me banned.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-12-2015, 05:02 PM
An idiot? Wow. Call me whatever names you like, but I've never had to give up a dog for biting me and I suspect I never will. My dogs have all been in pain and haven't BITTEN me for me trying to help them, so whatever. Even when my previous dog was in severe pain from a fight, he didn't BITE ME for trying to help him.

Both my dogs had limps for various reasons and didn't BITE ME when I checked on them, even though the bad one that needed strong pain medication did produce a yelp. Random extreme pain causing a bite? My dogs have never even thought about biting me when they were in pain. They knew I wasn't the one hurting them.

How can a gentle rub on the head cause enough pain to provoke a bite? Why act like I pick them up or twist them around etc like this guy did? My physical contact with my dogs is limited to gentle rubs mostly on their skulls and forelegs. My dogs are 55+ lbs. Are you serious? Boy, boy, boy. In any case, I said a seemingly unprovoked bite would be unacceptable, and I meant it.

Since some ridiculous woman has decided to call me names and assume my dogs are in poor shape when they are both actually perfectly fine. I'm an idiot for having never been bitten by my dogs, okay lady. I'm glad I can't confront you, because that was extremely uncalled for. I'm done with this thread because I really almost said something extremely nasty that might have gotten me banned.
Myra I don't think the idiot comment was aimed at you but referred to the video.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Ah. I'm sorry if that's the case. I thought she was talking to me. The owner of the dog in the video certainly is annoying his dog for no reason, well probably to make a "cute" video. I thought she called ME an idiot.

I'm going to hop off this thread now. It was only asking why many Chihuahuas here seem mean like the one in the video. I've gotten my answer and I don't see the need to argue with Jackie about MY DOGS on this thread.

My apologies for accusing SusieL of calling me names. Have a good one, everybody.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Myra I don't think the idiot comment was aimed at you but referred to the video.
I read it the same way as Trouble and was just about to reply but got beaten to it!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-12-2015, 05:46 PM
I also read it as the person was referring to the person in the video.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2015, 12:23 PM
As a Head Tech I meet them in peoples homes all the time.
They are about the number one dog that me and fellow techs are bitten by.
Top 3 would most likely be Chi's, toy poodles, yorkshire terriers.

Most of the time it is a elderly homes where the dog/dogs are not socialized, and have had very little interaction with people past there owner.
The owner love them and treat them well.

The others that I meet that are highly aggressive are the owners with little kids, who have to clue or are to busy to properly train and socialize them.

I most likely see one of these breeds everyday Monday through Friday, 1 to 3 times a day. I would say it's a 50/50 as to if they are aggressive or not.

Think a lot of it is people just don't look at them as something that can do any damage. No one past me would every grab Mouse by his muzzle and stick there fingers in his mouth to get something out in fear of losing a finger, seen it a million times where people will grab them up and play with there faces, knowing there bite may break the skin, so maybe it also has to do with people treating them like there not a dog, people seem to respect a cat clawing them or biting them more than they do a bite from a toy breed.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >