View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Aww! That's a brilliant achievement for Kye You & him have come so far in a very short time really. Keep all his achievements coming.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Awe Don't you just love "firsts"? Every time Zoe did something new, my Mom and I were on the phone. It's nice to have people to share with that know the story.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Hi Morning Glory,Its amazing that despite all he has been through he can learn to trust again and eventually Love,my Fay has had some amazing changes like Kye she was scared of her own shadow,she is getting so confident,she is in danger of becoming a little madam,she now steals the older ones ball where before if a ball came anywhere near her,she would hide,she has also found her voice and barks at every oppertunity even if you are on the phone.In my mind,I cant correct her,because each of these behaviours have been hard won,but I know she should be checked ,but I dont want to confuse her and am allowing her more leeway allowing her to be a puppy.When I was on a ward during rehab with brain injured people all having to learn to be what they were before the accident,there was a 13 year old boy,and a protective mum,she never gave him the space to be,slept with him on the ward,the problem was he could only speak german and didnt understand english when he woke up this was one of the things that needed careful handling,in the end they had to limit her time on the ward,so he could learn to speak english again,so from that have tried hard to be both firm when she is really naughty and give her space to be the puppy she should have been.All we can do whatever the professionals say is be there for them and not to be too hard and not to expect the same results as you would get from a well adjusted puppy.Gemini54
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2013, 09:06 PM
That is a truly wonderful achievement for Kye (and you) that he has discovered the courage to go up and down the stairs. It speaks volumes on the bond that is clearly developing between you - well done for all the work you are doing to change Kye's life.
Hugs to you both xx
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Hi MG

I loved the story about the stairs, wow, Kye is really making progress now, looks like he has bonded with you and really trusts you now. Hence he has overcome his fear of being in your home. It reminds me of the trouble I had with my puppy trying to climb our stairs from ground level to our living area, he would stop and start and we had to give him verbal encouragement to try each step. Now he is fully grown he leaps the steps two or three at a time.

I am amazed Kye has put on so much weight, 25 pounds. You must be feeding him real well ! Presumably he is now at his optimum weight?

Can you post some photographs so we can see him? Just open an account on photobucket.com and then upload your photo's to your account. Then just copy the image location of each photo and paste it in the reply box in this thread on Dogsey. It's easy once you have done it a couple of times. We would all love to see Kye in his new forever home.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
Aww! That's a brilliant achievement for Kye You & him have come so far in a very short time really. Keep all his achievements coming.
Thank you ! You know I cannot not believe it myself , that I have achieved so much either. I was nervous reck, day and night wondering if I would ever get anywhere with him.I kept thinking I love this dog and he has been through so much hardship , I have to show and give him a better life.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Hi MG

I loved the story about the stairs, wow, Kye is really making progress now, looks like he has bonded with you and really trusts you now. Hence he has overcome his fear of being in your home. It reminds me of the trouble I had with my puppy trying to climb our stairs from ground level to our living area, he would stop and start and we had to give him verbal encouragement to try each step. Now he is fully grown he leaps the steps two or three at a time.

I am amazed Kye has put on so much weight, 25 pounds. You must be feeding him real well ! Presumably he is now at his optimum weight?

Can you post some photographs so we can see him? Just open an account on photobucket.com and then upload your photo's to your account. Then just copy the image location of each photo and paste it in the reply box in this thread on Dogsey. It's easy once you have done it a couple of times. We would all love to see Kye in his new forever home.
Apache, Yes Kye is at his optimum weight. I had him up to 54lbs when the Vet first came out. She said that he needs to put on more weight because the heartworm treatment is going to be hard on him, and he is still not at the ideal weight for his frame. I told her that I had fed him 5 meals a day for along time , then went down to 3 meals a day. He was tested for worms, and he had hookworm. She said that is why you cannot reach his goal weight even when he is eating alot. They attach to the intestines and I don't know the whole procees that goes on , but it prevents him from gaining weight.I will work on down loading pictures of my boy.I just have to have him get use to my Husband. He seems to be very scared of men. When he comes up the stairs and sees my Husband , down he goes. With me it is like, lets have fun and explore.Yes he is like a big puppy , learning how to use steps and many other things.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Morning Glory,Its amazing that despite all he has been through he can learn to trust again and eventually Love,my Fay has had some amazing changes like Kye she was scared of her own shadow,she is getting so confident,she is in danger of becoming a little madam,she now steals the older ones ball where before if a ball came anywhere near her,she would hide,she has also found her voice and barks at every oppertunity even if you are on the phone.In my mind,I cant correct her,because each of these behaviours have been hard won,but I know she should be checked ,but I dont want to confuse her and am allowing her more leeway allowing her to be a puppy.When I was on a ward during rehab with brain injured people all having to learn to be what they were before the accident,there was a 13 year old boy,and a protective mum,she never gave him the space to be,slept with him on the ward,the problem was he could only speak german and didnt understand english when he woke up this was one of the things that needed careful handling,in the end they had to limit her time on the ward,so he could learn to speak english again,so from that have tried hard to be both firm when she is really naughty and give her space to be the puppy she should have been.All we can do whatever the professionals say is be there for them and not to be too hard and not to expect the same results as you would get from a well adjusted puppy.Gemini54
Hi Gemini 54 You have given me food for thought. Yes it is hard to balance the corrections , and the praise when you want them to be like any other well balanced dog. My little sheltie mix is less than half his size and he lets him know that he is the boss. Kye will have a toy and Manny will go up to him and steal it , plus give a little growl ,like you better not think your getting this. Kye could kick his butt if he wanted to , but he puts his head down and walks away.I just go get another toy and give it to Kye. If Manny looks at it, I tell him no, you have your own.I have to try not to smother him with too much affection, and let him be the doggie that he is created to be .This is a difficult task ,when you are caring for them when they are ill, like when he was going through the heartworm treatment. So I see what and why the woman was doing that to her son.I will try to hold back some of my hugs and kisses , and give him space.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Awe Don't you just love "firsts"? Every time Zoe did something new, my Mom and I were on the phone. It's nice to have people to share with that know the story.
Yes I do, what a proud Mama I am.
morningglory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by susannah92 View Post
That is a truly wonderful achievement for Kye (and you) that he has discovered the courage to go up and down the stairs. It speaks volumes on the bond that is clearly developing between you - well done for all the work you are doing to change Kye's life.
Hugs to you both xx
Thank you very much for sharing in my joy.
Page 13 of 21 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »