View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-06-2006, 06:31 PM

Puppy Food - which is the best food for a puppy?

We have just got a new pup he is just over 8weeks old can any1 tell me the best feed for him? thanx!
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
hi i feed burns dog food it is completley natural and not tested on animals it comes in fish,duck,chicken,venison all with brown rice,they have a website sorry cant remember what the address is but you should be able to find it easily! try to avoid any food that is brightly coloured ie bakers cos they have lots of additives and e-numbers in!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi Abbas did you get some food from the breeder? If so this is best changed to another food very slowly to prevent tummy upset . How and what you feed your puppies on at this time is very important. I prefer the food to be varied and of good quality to insure the puppy gets the right nutrients to build strong bones and a healthy body, it also helps to prevent health problems in later life. I also prefer to feed fresh food but failing that a good quality puppy food following the manufacturers instructions on amounts.... remember also if you change a puppy from whole food to a dry /complete food this should be done gradually over a number of days so that it's tummy can adjust to the different moisture content and be prepared for the puppy drinking more /wetting more until it adjusts.

Puppies should really be fed a number of small meals as follows..
Age 4-12weeks = 7am / noon / 5pm/ 10pm
Age 3-6 months = 7am/ noon / 5pm
Age 6-12months = 7am/5pm
1 year onwards = 5pm.. plus a morning snack or many people prefer to stick to two meals particularly with large breeds. You can of course alter the timing slightly to suit your particular circumstances the main thing is that the puppies are fed little and often .

The general rule of thumb for amounts is for a puppy on fresh food ... an ounce per pound of body weight divided between the number of meals due, at 8 weeks I would still be feeding 4 small meals a day.
Some things I feed puppies..

Milky Meals
Fine oatmeal cooked (microwave is good for this)with a small amount of puppy milk/honey.
Beaten raw egg with puppy milk/honey.
Cooked rice/puppy milk.
Other
A small amount of soaked puppy meal or cooked rice with one of the these:
Minced cooked beef,lamb,rabbit,chicken.
Boned cooked fish (coley is reasonably priced) or canned fish (in olive oil not brine) mashed up.
Also blanched or raw finely chopped carrots/peas/greens .

I like to make a puppy brawn by pressure cooking breast of lamb/sheeps heads/ox tail until the bones are soft then mince the lot to produce a rich paste.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Great answer - nothing to add - best of luck with your puppy - some pics would be nice when you get five minutes (ha ha)
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Very detailed Minihaha

I'm recommend James Wellbeloved. It was recommended to me after my dog developed a dietary intolerance at the grand age of...15 weeks old. After an exclusion diet to find out the allergen (egg) she was put onto JW and we havent looked back

JW comes in 4 'flavours' - duck, lamb, turkey and ocean fish...all with rice/brown rice.

Good luck with the new pup
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanx every1 for the replies! at the moment i am feeding him boiled rice with minced meat he seems ok on it but just wanted some more ideas and just to make sure i am going in the right direction as 4the pics im working on it! and ill try to get some up in the next few days!
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Skinners is good or raw diet abbas
erm hello, pics please, what breed is the pup and wats the breeding ? pm about the breeding if u like?
Im also getting a new pup yay in august/september
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Next puppy of mine will be on raw food Like my two are
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 04:14 PM
My next one is on Arden Grange, can't tell you what it's like yet but I've heard it's good?

Trouble is finding a supplier!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Buy it online Rips that is what I used to do (straight from them)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >