Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey Esme,

Bruno HATED being restrained in the car, and as I mentioned we had a saloon and used to just let him sit, but we knew with baby on the way he had to be seperate so as not to wash Luca's face for the entire journey.

At the time we had a CRV also and I got the actual official HONda fitted dog guard SECOND HAND FROM EBAY as he had previously broken 3 of the halfords ones that are either suctioned or have the legs- completely hopeless for him - he destroyed them in seconds.
At least with the fitted one there is no way for them to get their big head through anywhere.

I basically sat in the car with a book, and fed Bruno titbits whilst he was sitting nicely behind the dog guard, built up the time limit each time, then did a 5 mnute trip in the car and then every time after that we always went somewhere exciting so he was happy to stay behind the guard,

We had previously tried the crate but he also destroyed it and bled his mouth in seconds as HATED being so constricted.

I definetly think the dog guard is the best option - sorry I think I missed what kind of car you have ?? Look on ebay for an official fitted one for your car.

good luck
dani
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Good thing then that I don't live in the U.K. I'd probably hate to, and hope those ideas don't travel across oceans. I'd be fighting them.

CC
Just hope you never have cause to regret not restraining your dogs in your vehicle.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Good thing then that I don't live in the U.K. I'd probably hate to, and hope those ideas don't travel across oceans. I'd be fighting them.

CC
Fighting what? responsibly keeping your dog restrained while driving?

Unfortunately this small island (UK) has double the population of the comparatively massive Canada and as a result, there are a hell of a lot of cars on our very small and congested roads. I really do not like driving much at all in this country because it feels like an obstacle course and is stressful at the best of times. The risk to both the driver and the loose dog aside, the last thing drivers here need is another added distraction of dogs hanging out of the windows in cars.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Well that's really nice to know that someone who knows nothing about me and has never even met me has apparently got me sussed by one thread on a forum.

I find your post incredibly offensive and downright rude. If you like i'll PM you my registration number and my postcode and the details of my local police station and you can report me if you wish.
Oh and while you're at it you better report the millions of other people who don't restrain their dogs in their cars.

To say that I don't care about other people or their well-being is absolute rubbish and you should know that.
This person is trying to help you here! It is not personal as in he doesn't like you, he is trying to show you the Official side of things and what COULD happen; insurance premiums going up, etc. It also applies to everyone doing the same as you with dogs; if you take that as offensive God help us all!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Just read the last 2 pages and glad you have decided to be safer than sorry with Monty x
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
[B]

This person is trying to help you here! It is not personal as in he doesn't like you, he is trying to show you the Official side of things and what COULD happen; insurance premiums going up, etc. It also applies to everyone doing the same as you with dogs; if you take that as offensive God help us all!
By making me feel like a criminal and saying that i don't give a damn about other people? That doesn't sound much like help to me.

And also for them hoping I get reported to the police for my "crime" and punished for it - yes that's also really helpful. It's so nice and helpful to know that people hope I get done by the police for something I haven't even done because i'm as far as i'm aware i haven't caused any accidents, killed any innocent children or injured anyone through letting Monty have the whole of the back of my car to sit/lie/stand in and OCCASIONALLY poke his bloody nose out the window.

I guess I should add "YET" to the end of the above seeing as i'm an accident waiting to happen.

Thankfully most people on this thread have offered sound advice and suggestions of ways I can train Monty, change my car set up and improve the situation. Much more helpful than being told I don't care about other people.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Just read the last 2 pages and glad you have decided to be safer than sorry with Monty x
As i said in my post above if people are making sensible suggestions and offering sound advice instead of putting me down then i'm happy to take this on board and listen to it.

I'm sorry if you think i'm being overly defensive but I was and still am quite upset about some of the things that have been said.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Hey Esme,

Bruno HATED being restrained in the car, and as I mentioned we had a saloon and used to just let him sit, but we knew with baby on the way he had to be seperate so as not to wash Luca's face for the entire journey.

At the time we had a CRV also and I got the actual official HONda fitted dog guard SECOND HAND FROM EBAY as he had previously broken 3 of the halfords ones that are either suctioned or have the legs- completely hopeless for him - he destroyed them in seconds.
At least with the fitted one there is no way for them to get their big head through anywhere.

I basically sat in the car with a book, and fed Bruno titbits whilst he was sitting nicely behind the dog guard, built up the time limit each time, then did a 5 mnute trip in the car and then every time after that we always went somewhere exciting so he was happy to stay behind the guard,

We had previously tried the crate but he also destroyed it and bled his mouth in seconds as HATED being so constricted.

I definetly think the dog guard is the best option - sorry I think I missed what kind of car you have ?? Look on ebay for an official fitted one for your car.

good luck
dani
Hi Dani,

I've got an Alfa Romeo 147 (5 Door)

I did a quick search on Ebay earlier for "DOG GUARD FOR ALFA 147" and it only came back with 1 result!

I did look on the site that Chaz - i think - suggested about the pet tubes. They look quite good but again don't think i'd get Monty in one but they do a range of dog guards and you fill it what car details you have and they find the right one to fit so am going to explore that option and weigh up costs as i've got tax, MOT and insurance all due this month!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
The one I linked to is only £45 and it's VERY sturdy. I'd be surprised if he broke through it mate. We love it and it's designed to fit most cars so defo worth a try.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2010, 06:01 PM
By making me feel like a criminal and saying that i don't give a damn about other people? That doesn't sound much like help to me.

And also for them hoping I get reported to the police for my "crime" and punished for it - yes that's also really helpful. It's so nice and helpful to know that people hope I get done by the police for something I haven't even done because i'm as far as i'm aware i haven't caused any accidents, killed any innocent children or injured anyone through letting Monty have the whole of the back of my car to sit/lie/stand in and OCCASIONALLY poke his bloody nose out the window.

I guess I should add "YET" to the end of the above seeing as i'm an accident waiting to happen.

Thankfully most people on this thread have offered sound advice and suggestions of ways I can train Monty, change my car set up and improve the situation. Much more helpful than being told I don't care about other people.
Perhaps the person (wasn't me) was trying to show you the wider implications and neither is it imo a case of "occasionally poking his head" - perhaps you are missing the point... or were because as I said in my last post you have heeded some of the advice and hopefully are doing something to protect Monty and other road users.
Page 16 of 49 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »