View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
soodim
New Member!
Female 

15-04-2010, 07:40 AM

Nature diet: is it ok now after packaging problems? (Split from old thread)

The only reason I can think of for the food going rancid is because they do NOT put any perservatives so they now have this problem. Has things improved now because I wanted to start my dogs on the Nature Diet. As its expensive I was thinking of mixing it with Burns Hypo allergenic mixer.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by soodim View Post
The only reason I can think of for the food going rancid is because they do NOT put any perservatives so they now have this problem. Has things improved now because I wanted to start my dogs on the Nature Diet. As its expensive I was thinking of mixing it with Burns Hypo allergenic mixer.
I feed Naturediet , in the last two years I have had two single packets that were 'off'. I phoned them and they sent me repalcements straight away .
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Similar experience to everyone else ~ mine get ND for breakfast & I've only ever had one off tray. Now I check all trays before buying & had no problems.

I used to feed NM as a change but found my dogs didn't like it as much & it was sloppy & very smelly ~ I perfer NM.

The rest of the time they are raw fed.

PS Does anyone feed Denes?
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi all
I feed my 3 collies barf but do add denes mixer to one dogs food as he is very skinny and doesn't hold weight.He loves it. I have a friend who feeds natural instinct,as recommended by the crufts vet. His dogs love it and look great on it,the website is interesting and it looks very easy to feed and obtain.
Web address is www.naturalinstinct.com
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
Hi all
I feed my 3 collies barf but do add denes mixer to one dogs food as he is very skinny and doesn't hold weight.He loves it. I have a friend who feeds natural instinct,as recommended by the crufts vet. His dogs love it and look great on it,the website is interesting and it looks very easy to feed and obtain.
Web address is www.naturalinstinct.com
Hi JFK , it's good to see a vet recommending a raw food.

Originally Posted by soodim

Hi Soodim I have fed ND occasionally but was put off by the smell and strange looking layer of fat which sometimes appeared on the top. Preservatives shouldn't be necessary neither should the food go rancid because as with canned food the food should be preserved by the cooking /sealing process.

I love the look of Naturalinstinct which JFK mentioned and Darlings raw diet but haven't the room at the moment to take the required months supply in my small freezer.

As a trial for raw feeding ( I have always fed a lot of fresh food but usually cooked) I have been buying raw minced lamb which has been on offer in the supermarket and freezing it then mixing that with fresh veg for one meal and just giving a small amount of Fish4dogs salmon kibble for the other meal.

I have been doing this for a few weeks now and have the say the results are amazing, my dogs coat looks fantastic, her breath smells sweet and she has small firm poos.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 11:36 AM
I use the Wainwrights trays. I have never had an off one, they are easy to open and my dogs love them.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Only a very small number have ever been off - we feed it regularly and whilst we have had a couple of 'off' packets in the past, we haven't had one for a while now (now look, as I say that I bet we'll get one in the latest delivery we order 12 cases at a time so it is a fairly sizeable amount).
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Soodim I note you feed Burns, if you want a wet food have your tried Burns Penland Farm Range ?

http://shop.burnspet.com/BrowseCusto...Dog_Moist_Food

this is the Lamb...

Ingredients:
Lamb Hearts (min 20%), Organic Brown Rice (min 20%), Seasonal Vegetables (min 20%), Vitamins and Minerals.
samsmummy
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I have been using Natural Instinct for about 8 months now and its been great. The guys on the phone are really helpful and were able to talk me through the raw diet as I was new to it. I am now a big big fan of BARF as the difference in my lab has been amazing. I got a new puppy yesterday (a chiweenie!) and have started her on it already. I'll let you know how it goes....