View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Skooshbag
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I think until both the RSPCA and Mary-Ellen (or a representative) make a statement all we can do is speculate as to why. Personally I think it was because it's recorded that Mr Nolan tried on a number of occasions to gain entry to the kennels but couldn't get it, Mary-Ellen was unreachable for X number of days, coupled with the facts that despite there being over 100 dogs there was no sign of staff and 2 of the dogs were so ill.

I find it hard to believe that, as a qualified vet nurse, she failed to see that there was something with the 2 dogs if she was present, if the dogs passed away on the saturday then they must have been ill for some time, so where has she been for the few days preceeding Saturday? if she comes up with a valid reason as to her absence, then how can she explain the lack of responsible carer(s).
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I think the RSPCA were there as it was abandonment, lets face it she couldnt be found, so they had to get involved, its not ness a neglect case, though I would like to know what happend with the dogs that were pts,
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Do we know that she did though??? It said the 15yr. old was supposed to be in charge, but it didn't seem like anybody was does it?? Maybe she's gone with her, unless somebody has actually seen her (the daughter) around??? Do we know if she is?

I think there might be a lot of people who might not want to take their 15 yr. old daughter with them if they behave like this with animals, dontcha think???!!!
My friend who has been part of the grooming team was led to believe it was the daughter who contacted the RSPCA.It does seem though that are many things flying around so I guess we will have to wait for the court date to get the full story.
Skooshbag
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I think Hali is correct. Unless the owner surrenders the dogs it will be months before a court ruling.
Just had this confirmed by someone at RSPCA Radcliffe. The dogs are only in possesion of the RSPCA on a temporary basis until either the wner signs them over or the court makes a ruling on the matter, which has been known to take up to 2 years in some cases.

According to the paper reporting on her arrest Mary-Ellen has been bailed until next month, so no news on rehoming the dogs until then. I was advised by my local RSPCA office that it would perhaps be a good idea to contact Radcliffe and leave my details with regards to rehoming, but since Tuesday they have had over 500 enquiries regarding the St Bernards.

M'thinks there won't be a shortage of homes. It's a shame I stay so far away, for if they do become available for rehoming in the near future I will stand less of a chance compared to someone that lives closer to the area
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Skooshbag View Post
but since Tuesday they have had over 500 enquiries regarding the St Bernards.

M'thinks there won't be a shortage of homes. It's a shame I stay so far away, for if they do become available for rehoming in the near future I will stand less of a chance compared to someone that lives closer to the area
I would really hope that distance is the least of their criteria. Of the 500 calls, can you imagine how many non-dog people will be thinking 'oh a free 'Mozart' (was that the name of the dog in the movie?) for a Christmas pressie for our kids'.

Others will have no idea of how much it will cost to feed a dog this size, etc. etc. By the time they have shifted through the applications, I would be surprised if there remains enough decent homes to rehome them all.

(Mind you, if they are available with their pedigree papers, I suppose other breeders would be interested).

If you really want one of these dogs and know what you are letting yourself in for (sorry, don't know what your experience is etc), stick with and good luck to you.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Mozart..........lol I know you ment beethoven
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 04:14 PM
is that just the calls one centre has had, If so there will be thousands of poss homes for them, but that can only be a good thing for the dogs,

would the rspca not spey and neuter all the dogs? hence they would be of little intrest to breeders?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 04:16 PM
God I hope not! Did this story hit national news? Hopefully they'll all go to a rescue centre so they can be properly re-homed? Although there are so many.

It's just assthounding! (See what I did there ;o)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Shona, I doubt it. Surely the RSCPA do not have the funds to "fix" 98 dogs in one hit?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Shona, I doubt it. Surely the RSCPA do not have the funds to "fix" 98 dogs in one hit?
your kidding eh? the rspca have millions in the bank lol
Page 7 of 20 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »