Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Was wondering about the rents and the tenants, and what about that nice lady that pops in to do some cleaning for you.
Whats brought on the sudden urge to move
It's not that sudden. Last year it was a toss up between leaving Cyprus for mainland Europe or moving into a nicer bigger flat.

I'm sick to the back teeth of the roadworks and the sewage works either side of me and my road I live in closed off at one end for months now. This could go on for another year at least too.

And I will be just a short 20 min at the most drive away!

Not many people who 'manage' property here 'live on the premises' as I have done for the past 6 yrs or so. They call round to collect the rent and are contacted by phone if there is a problem.

That will suit me just fine. I'm getting a big dragged down into the dumps being surrounded by so many people who are having it really hard. I'm like an unofficial interest free money lender to so many. My hairdresser is 'working off' all the money she owes me for DVDs she begged me to bring back from UK with free hair trims until sorted.

I am going to have serious words with Sabby - my sublet - tomorrow. He's been thoroughly spoiled. I've put a note under his door tonight telling him to come and see me. Yeah I will come over to collect rents - but not day after day when they've said they'll have it tomorrow and then the next day and then the next day .......

Me and Sabby might have to be visiting the lecky board together too. Still in my name in his flat. Stuff like that.

And where I am moving to is utter luxury complex with 2 pools and tennis courts and on site maintenance - mainly used for holidaying. And I FANCY A HOLIDAY and if I've got to spend another sweltering summer in Cyprus and it is looking as if I will have to coz of other commitments.

I'm determined to spend it somewhere where I might feel like I'm on holiday!

And I will be away from the dirt, the dust, the litter and the general grime here in the old town which has gotten worse and worse with the works.

But not so far away I can't still come back (never go on the Tourist beaches anyway)

I will be living in the Buffer Zone. In the only united village left in Cyprus where TC and GC live in harmony together and where the UN rule. It is also right on top of a crossing to the north and I am determined to get over there more this year to see my pals in Kyrenia. Especially as I now have Roger as well as Petstop. It is nearer my boarding kennels too - much nearer.

I'm going to move 20 mins and 15 miles away! Not exactly as far as some (like Lynn for instance) have moved from where they were.

I want a change of scenery. And a plush new pad. And away from the now neverending 'works' - going into their third year and no sight of an end to them.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Oh and Lucia doesn't just 'pop in to do some cleaning for me' she is one of my best pals. She isn't my 'cleaner' and doesn't clean for me any more anyway coz I put Roger onto her and she now cleans for him and they are happy together with the arrangement. He, like me, is happy to give someone 40 or 50 to clean their flat. Unlike Cypriots who think manual workers like cleaners are lesser mortals who don't deserve to earn more than about 2 euro an hour and who almost have an apoplexy if they hear of anyone paying a 'cleaner' more than about 20 euros to work all day. I pay that much for someone to do my ironing! Or my windows!

Lucia of course now also wants to move to Pyla lol! She has asked me to enquire of the Pro Clean company if they need any more workers as it is nearer where her husband works anyway! She's a hoot.

(But I know just the right little 3bed house for them over there - I turned it down on account of the stairs). She'd love it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-03-2014, 10:41 PM
I don't blame you at all wanting some peace and quiet and getting away from all the hassle, just seemed very sudden, obviously didn't realise you'd been cogitating on this since last year.
The place looks lovely, and it nearly made me book a holiday there lol
Have a great move and a lovely time when you get there
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Well it sounds brilliant and just perfect, sure Bella will adore it and pictures would be lovely.

I love you plan of moving and how to sort things out sell - give - leave. I would go with a moving company too I moved by myself family friends once - never EVER again.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Well it sounds brilliant and just perfect, sure Bella will adore it and pictures would be lovely.

I love you plan of moving and how to sort things out sell - give - leave. I would go with a moving company too I moved by myself family friends once - never EVER again.
Same here Kazz. Been there, done that. Best (worst) experience was when I let the OH persuade me that it would be better to just hire a lorry to move from Berks to Cornwall. He drove the lorry and I drove the estate car. We'd hardly unpacked the lorry (everything into the basement which was at ground level on one side of the house) when he announced he would have to take the lorry back IMMEDIATELY with his motorbike on the back of it and then ride his motorbike back to Cornwall - leaving muggings with the 8yr old, dog, cats and NOTHING taken upstairs yet into the house which required total refurbishment anyway and I was going to do one room at a time starting with Jen's bedroom.

Never again. At least when Pickfords moved house and home to Devon from Cornwall and I stayed out of it and he had some reason to rush off again - it had all been put in place for them and the only problem I had was a back door that wouldn't close and no curtains on that huge room that door was in either! I slept in there for a couple of nights 'on guard' until I could get it fixed.

I've also had experience where 'amateur' removal people came and looked what there was and at where it had to go into and, on the day, ooops! front windows had to be removed because they hadn't spotted a problem with the size of some of the furniture. Pro companies check this sort of stuff and also have people skilled to do the taking out of windows etc. if it becomes necessary.

I will jettison as much as I can beforehand. I find that quite cathartic at all times anyway. If I had to get too involved it would all still be in the boxes a year later!

Knowing they will unpack at the other end will make sure I don't take anything stupid or unnecessary! Like Bella for instance lol!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 12:03 AM
What we look out over when we come out the front door
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Face to right and walk about 100m and this is what we find

Totally state of the art modern gated complex with pools and tennis courts and landscaped gardens with a modern university building being the only one past us and then beyond there and opposite and all around behind - lovely unspoilt countryside. As opposed to 'wasteland' which is what I call most of the open spaces in Larnaca town.

It's still in Larnaca. Just not in the town centre of Larnaca.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 12:11 AM
This postcard might give you some idea of what is in Pyla Village. You can hear the call to prayer from the minaret (I hear the reveille and last post on the bugle here lol)
Mosque and Church near each other here - it's famous for being the only mixed village.

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 12:17 AM
On the map the blue teardrop is on Pyla Gardens (new place) and where I live now is just about where the words 'Larnaca Salt Lake' appear just below Larnaca.

Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 07:46 AM
I've clearly been out of the 'loop' for far too long . This is the first I've heard of you even looking and now here your are with a moving date

I've just spent 20 minutes trawling through the 'random thread' looking for more info and photos ..... seen them and the complex looks great. I went back as far as page 97 in case you'd posted some of the interior but assume you haven't. Presumably as its a garden flat that garden will be for just your (and Bella). I'm sure your family will all love it and with the pools and tennis courts etc etc will be well catered for

Why do you have to get rid of all your stuff .... and the Day Bed Is the new place fully furnished?

I am surprised that you have moved inland but you obviously have your reasons behind that 'cos won't it be even hotter where your new place is without a sea breeze

I'll be watching this thread daily to find out all the info
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »