Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 07:27 PM

We are on the move again!

It's official. I move into the new pad on 1st May. Getting quite excited about it now but also in a total turmoil of the usual utilities companies dealings and tidying up loose ends here with the flats I collect rents on. But that's the boring headachey bit. I didn't take Bella over there today because it's been on and off rolling thunderstorms all day and she is so scared of them - I don't want her to associate the new place with a deafening storm and nowhere familiar for her to hide because we are 'out in the open'.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Congratulations Tang
Don't worry about sorting things out,it'll get done...be excited!!
Seen the pic on Random,looks gorgeous
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Oh Lacey - if there's one thing I consider money well spent on it's companies like Pickfords - who come in and you don't do a THING. They pack everything, take the clothes out of the wardrobe, the works. And unpack it at the other end if you wish them to.

I thought the move 2 doors up last year would be a doddle but even with all neighbours helping it was chaos and I ended up hurting my back and inflaming my finger that the arthritis had started in.

Nope - don't care how much they charge. As my son said yesterday - get 'em in and you sit by the pool with a G&T.

They can do it all. I will pay Lucia to do a end of tenancy clean when it's empty. Place I am going into is brand spanking new - no one ever been in it since it was kitted out and the pro clean co are still going in to make sure it is spotless and will clean all the garden up too and get rid of the tiny ants I saw by the patio (pet friendly traps) and probly use their pressure washers on the rubic cube patio set that has been sat out there all tucked into itself and never used so that before I put my bum on any seats there is not a cobweb in sight!

I know what I'm good at and I know what I enjoy in my twilight years. Different when I HAD to do all that. But now I try not to do anything I don't want to do!

I do not enjoy heavy lifting or hard manual work. And I'm rubbish at cleaning (and ironing) - takes me twice as long as anyone I pay to do it and I can earn four times what I pay them if I sit at the computer for a few hours doing summat I am good at!

Garden maintenance along with all the outside cleaning and landscaping is included in the new place.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 08:27 PM
woohoo!! congratulations! Seems like it's moving season

I've not checked the other thread but if you haven't already, please post pictures of your new place?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2014, 08:28 PM
When I emigrated from England the shipping company left me some large cartons for me to pack clothes in about a week beforehand, but apart from that they told me not to touch a thing.

They turned up at 8am and left at 1pm with a large number of brown wrapped [that blanket stuff] unrecognisable objects. And nothing was damaged.

Having moved home here too many times for my liking, and usually used the many cowboys, the last time I thought ess oh dee it, and even though I was only moving maybe 3km from way down one of the side roads on the Moshav to here, I used a proper removal company.

They even wrapped up my bookcases, complete with books, so they were delivered as they were. Same with my fridge/freezer, wardrobe, everything.

And oh was it worth it for the not-so-much more than the cowboys charge.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 08:41 PM
I use Pickfords or Britannia when in England. I am enquiring on local forums for the same service in Cyprus.

I didn't even have to pack clothes. They arrive with cardboard wardrobes to empty those into. Generally take chests with contents still in and they pack everything from your knives and forks down to whatever you have.

In fact when I left Newlyn for Devon I left before they arrived - leaving the keys for them. I didn't even want to be there to SEE them packing it. I put the dog, cats and tortoise in the car with my daughter and we headed off before they arrived. We stopped for breakfast on the way and were sitting outside our new house when they got there.

Cost circa £1.2K and worth every penny of it. I love moving house. I do not love packing and unpacking!

But this time, I will be taking very little in the way of heavy items apart from tumble dryer, garden storage units, electronics, spare TV (new place has flat screen connected to satellite already in it) and a few mirrors and pics. Mostly smaller items.

I will get the Auction Rooms in beforehand and they can take away EVERYTHING I don't need in the new place and flog it off for me. I've bought a brand new bed, a new microwave and toaster and all sorts since moving in here but I need none of that in the new place.

People are already on at me to sell them this, that and the other. But I don't want to be left with just the not so easily saleable stuff and have to do ten trips to charity shop.

I've already put an alert out on local forum that anyone who wants stuff like spare guitar for guitar hero (lol don't ask) drop dead high heels (that I will never wear again) and a whole host of pots, pans, crockery and other assorted stuff can come and collect it for nothing as long as it is going to a Charity shop. I know most of the pet and cancer charity people here and I am sure they will be round for it. As I wander round I am throwing everything like that onto one of the beds in the spare room.

Those two beds are newly purchased but I will leave those behind as I will probly sleep on one til the bitter end once my new bed has gone and then let my current landlord have them as he will have none - me having got permission to throw his smelly old ones out.

I have for instance THREE garden tables and don't need any of them now and all sorts of stuff like that. Standing coat racks, shelving units, trollies and a host of smaller potted plants I won't be taking either - neighbours will get first choice of a lot of it. I have a TON of bedding as I've always had spares for the rentals too but it's all mine. I don't need any of it - even new bedding is supplied in the new place.

Sad to say even the beloved DAYBED has to go! Along with the sixteen pillows I've bought over the year to go on it lol!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 08:45 PM
What I have enquired about is I was told when over there that every unit has an outside storage cupboard under shelter. Be interested to know how big that is. In case I want to store anything.

But as I will be living in a place with wall to wall floor to ceiling fitted wardrobes in both bedrooms I will do what I do here and allocate ONE wardrobe in the spare room for keeping stuff in that I don't use much.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Sooner you than me kiddo, but then I feel more "at home" in this bungalow than I have ever felt in my life. Moved in on 22 November 2000 and will stay here until I am carried out feet first.

Perfect it is not, but HOME it definitely is.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Yes Malka. But this thread is about my MOVE - not your determination to STAY PUT!

I find moving very exciting. I want to avoid all negativity and continue to try to stay upbeat about it.

I've felt 'at home' in many places. I am one of those who consider that 'a house is not a home'.

And I'm going to be very much at home here (well for at least a year lol!)

The DOWNSIDE is the having to deal with utility companies and internet providers and 'officialdom' (mukhtar) in a country that is - let's face it - still much of a banana republic compared with the UK where things have changed so much over the past 20 or 30 yrs.

Hell they don't even have Electricity or Gas Boards there and haven't had for decades. Let alone ones where you queue all morning. And where the staff only work until lunchtime. And where the main internet provider has to do a blimmin survey before confirming you can have internet (even if the bloke next door's got it!)

But my trickiest bits are the dealings with all the tenants I look after here. I don't look after their property as such but do cash wage cheques for them and am lenient about security deposits - the electricity supply to at least 3 units here is in MY name. But not the one I live in!

That's going to take some unravelling. And I've already told some of them I am happy to continue to cash their wage cheques (poor sods have to wait almost 2wks now to draw on them since the banks crisis last yr) as long as they drive over to PYLA with them - I will come to Lca central to collect rents but not to do favours!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Was wondering about the rents and the tenants, and what about that nice lady that pops in to do some cleaning for you.
Whats brought on the sudden urge to move
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »