View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Oh I forgot to say if you decide on VFs don't go for the fashionably small frames. You don't have to have Deidre wossname size frames but they're easier to get used to if you have more lens to work with.

I tried contacts in the days when there were only hard ones available and I couldn't get on with them as my eyes are very light sensitive, hence I have lenses that darken in the sun. The last specs I got in Boots were bogof so I got another pair with plain glass and the frame style came with magnetic attaching dark lenses.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 06:34 PM
That is a good point getting bigger frames is a fantastic idea.

Thank you
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2013, 06:44 PM
There is no one size fits all. There is no one size fits all eye prescriptions. Some people can cope with contact lenses. Some people cannot. Some people can cope with varifocals where others cannot.

The same goes for bifocals or even just plain prescription lenses - such are the differences in each individual and in their particular sight.

If a person with problematic sight wishes to have the latest modern frames, then if their prescription can fit into their frames - great.

But many times prescriptions do not and I am as much at fault when I was in my teens and wanted the then fashionable style frames. Which of course were unable to suit the lens prescriptions so most of the time I just muddled along without really being able to see clearly.

But hey - I was a teenager who had been wearing spectacles since I was a young child, and I wanted to be modern and fashionable and wanted my spectacle frames to make a statement.

Whether it damaged my sight by wearing so-called fashionable spectacles in which the lenses were really not suitable [my fault - teenage stroppiness and I thought I knew better... ] I do not know. Probably was but that was a very long time ago.

Now? I need to be able to see and current fashionable frames are not for me as they are not large enough. And as long as I can see what I need, that is really all I want. Fashionable or not.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2013, 10:40 PM
I have had my 1st pair of vari's this year.
I went for the best and a deep frame.
When I first put them on, boy did I feel seasick!!!!

I persevered and I wouldn't go back to the chopping and changing with 2 separate pairs.

I work in an Opticians and dispense glasses all the time.
I always say to people to give them 6 weeks to get used to them and to put their old glasses in a place they wont find them because you need time to get used to the prescription and the varifocal.
Never, I repeat, never walk up and down the stairs until you are used to them. As others have found out you do have the chance of losing your footing.
Use them around the house first.

If you cant get used to them most opticians will swop the lenses for single vision at their cost.

And another tip, always take your glasses off using 2 hands. This prevents the arms from spraining and breaking.
So many people come in to us and they have had the fairies in over night with the saying...'I opened my case and the arm/lens fell out' Oh that old china!!!!

Give the vari's a go but be careful at first. xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
I have had my 1st pair of vari's this year.
I went for the best and a deep frame.
When I first put them on, boy did I feel seasick!!!!

I persevered and I wouldn't go back to the chopping and changing with 2 separate pairs.

I work in an Opticians and dispense glasses all the time.
I always say to people to give them 6 weeks to get used to them and to put their old glasses in a place they wont find them because you need time to get used to the prescription and the varifocal.
Never, I repeat, never walk up and down the stairs until you are used to them. As others have found out you do have the chance of losing your footing.
Use them around the house first.

If you cant get used to them most opticians will swop the lenses for single vision at their cost.

And another tip, always take your glasses off using 2 hands. This prevents the arms from spraining and breaking.
So many people come in to us and they have had the fairies in over night with the saying...'I opened my case and the arm/lens fell out' Oh that old china!!!!

Give the vari's a go but be careful at first. xx
If I put my other spectacles away somewhere for six weeks that would mean for six weeks I would not be able to watch television. I would not be able to use my computer. I would not be able to read and that includes food labels. I would not be able to go outside my home.

And I do not have fairies but in all the 60 plus years I have worn spectacles many a time have the lenses just fallen out when in their case. So no old china here thank you.

Ah - and as a very small child I was taught how to remove my spectacles with both hands but thank you very much for telling me.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi I have tried all sorts,but find that the varifocal helps in the sun,as I go completely blind,and cannot make out anything,Other than that havent got on with glasses of any type and just muddle along.But as others have said everyone is differant and what suits you may not suit others.Gemini54
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
If I put my other spectacles away somewhere for six weeks that would mean for six weeks I would not be able to watch television. I would not be able to use my computer. I would not be able to read and that includes food labels. I would not be able to go outside my home.

And I do not have fairies but in all the 60 plus years I have worn spectacles many a time have the lenses just fallen out when in their case. So no old china here thank you.

Ah - and as a very small child I was taught how to remove my spectacles with both hands but thank you very much for telling me.
Im really quite astounded by your complete and utter sarcastic remarks!!!
Whether your 6 or 60 makes no odds when a small bit of advise can make a lot of difference to some people.
But then its up to the individual if they accept advise.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I was not being sarcastic Julie and I apologise if you thought I was - I was just saying it as it is, and I really do not understand your problem with that. If I could get away with just one pair of varifocal spectacles then of course I would. But I cannot, hence requiring four pairs, each with different prescriptions.

As I say, I do apologise if you thought I was being sarcastic but I can assure you I was not.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
Im really quite astounded by your complete and utter sarcastic remarks!!!
Whether your 6 or 60 makes no odds when a small bit of advise can make a lot of difference to some people.
But then its up to the individual if they accept advise.
Hi,with something like this,you need all the advise you can get,I didnt realise for instance,until I saw a consultant,that eyes work together and when one is poorly the other eye jumps in,felt a proper nana when I had made such a fuss,so sure that my good eye was going the same way as my bad eye.Gemini54
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Well I am grateful for all the advice I find asking always helps.........that's why I started the thread.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >