Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Question for those who feed F4D or any fish food

Does it make your dogs breath smell bad/fishy!? I was going to be changing over to f4d but they've still got alot of ardren grange left, so finishing more of that first. My friend has put her dogs onto it and now their breath smells but they were fine when they were on arden grange sensitive which is also fish
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:28 AM
I feed raw but use the Orijen Fish Kibble for training and emergencies and I have not noticed a repellant odour........
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Mine get the occasional Fish4Dogs salmon mousse as well as fresh fish in their raw diet and I wouldn't say their breath smells other than for 5 minutes or so right after they've eaten.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Hmm my friends dog stunk the office at work out lol
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:35 AM
I fed Wafcol salmon & Potato for long time & never had problems. Occassionally get Wainwrights wet fish food & never get breath issues. Maybe the food your friend is feeding doesnt agree with her dogs. Maybe try a different fish food.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Is it definately their breath? Anal gland issues can cause a dog to smell, I'm sure I've heard it described as fishy Not smelt it myself and I don't really want to google "fishy smelling anal glands" on my work PC
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Henry is on a salmon and potato kibble which is fed with white fish fillet.

He has that twice a day and I have to say you can smell it on his breath for a while after, but not continuously. The worse thing I have noticed is that his urine smells really strong, I've had him checked but there is nothing wrong, the vet assumes it's because he is fed mainly a fish diet as it changes after a while if I put him back onto rabbit or a mix of the two.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Is it definately their breath? Anal gland issues can cause a dog to smell, I'm sure I've heard it described as fishy Not smelt it myself and I don't really want to google "fishy smelling anal glands" on my work PC
Would't describe it as fishy, put this way once smelt you will forever know it again. Sometimes the glands "leak" & it goes onto whatever they are sitting / lying on.

It is revolting!

Katie had to have hers emptied every month until i fed raw chick wings now of course she cant have them. Sprinkle bran over her food occassionally, if you go off renal diets even slightly you get big probs

Even tho fish diets are good perhaps particular ones dont agree with some dogs. Ive always advocated Wafcol salmon & potato
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Mine both have F4D food and treats, and the only time I notice fishy breath is when they've just had a fish bone treat, but that doesn't last for long, so no smelly breath here.

I agree about those anal glands, they do smell fishy!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Mine have been on "Barking Heads" salmon and potato for some while and I don't notice their breath smelling. They do get their teeth cleaned every night so perhaps this helps?

They have recently been switched to the senior version though and the smells coming from the other end have been dire!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >