Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 11:25 AM

Thinking of getting another pup

My problem is missy bossy bootys Toro, won't take to another Bullie I have tried 4 had one lived with us for a while, whilst she does accept Inka, she was brought in to our home where Inka was already an established pack member, it took us 6 weeks to get her to allow Boabz in ( a rottie ), very tolerant boy , he put up with a lot of crap off her but they all get on well at home now...
So what do you think, what would make an ideal addition ?
I fancy a Frenchie, I haven't tried her with a pup and wouldn't want to take on a pup and after 6 / 8 weeks she decides she doesn't like it then have to give the pup back to the breeder.
Am I being greedy ? should I just enjoy what my 2 have to offer me which is unconditional and settled ? I think I may just be going through another broody stage, help me out guys, what do you think ?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
My problem is missy bossy bootys Toro, won't take to another Bullie I have tried 4 had one lived with us for a while, whilst she does accept Inka, she was brought in to our home where Inka was already an established pack member, it took us 6 weeks to get her to allow Boabz in ( a rottie ), very tolerant boy , he put up with a lot of crap off her but they all get on well at home now...
So what do you think, what would make an ideal addition ?
I fancy a Frenchie, I haven't tried her with a pup and wouldn't want to take on a pup and after 6 / 8 weeks she decides she doesn't like it then have to give the pup back to the breeder.
Am I being greedy ? should I just enjoy what my 2 have to offer me which is unconditional and settled ? I think I may just be going through another broody stage, help me out guys, what do you think ?
Is Toro your Bull Terrier? is she dog aggressive? if not, what makes you think she won't accept a pup? sounds like you have some doubts...
louise81
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I would keep to what you have.You sound unsure and i dont think it is worth the risk.If your rottweiler had to go through alot imagine what could happen to a puppy.Good Luck on you decision.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2009, 12:44 PM
My Molly has always been a bit unpredictable with other dogs. She does accept some but not others. We went for a puppy this time and we have had no problems, yet! The puppy has managed to get her to play etc and she is extremely tolerant of her and I have to be honest I wasn't sure she would take to her at all. We still have to do the kevin phase with the pup so it could all change but so far the puppy has been alot easier to introduce than an adult dog. Good luck.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Has Toro had any experience with a young puppy? Perhaps she would be more likely to accept a pup than an older dog? I was thinking maybe less of a 'threat' to her leadership in her eyes maybe?

I'm certainly no expert like!!

Happy to cyber-share Lola with you in the meantime xx
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Elaine

I had similar doubts when we first got Breagh as Skye and Fingal were an established pair.

Excluding the odd food related ding dong between Fingal and Breagh they all get on fine now although they have established their own pack which is actually 2 + 1 rather than 3.

Would Toro suit a puupy dog rather than a puppy bitch ?

PS

I could always lend you Skye to ensure there's no squabbling.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd be inclined to stay as you are. Afterall, you say everyone is settled. Why possibly ruin what you already have?

If you have doubts, I wouldn't take the risk of getting a puppy then possibly have to take it back to the breeder, but you've already said that. And I certainly wouldn't bring a rescue in to the situation if there are doubts about her taking to another dog in the home.

If you can borrow friends dogs for a while to see what happens, that might be the way to go just now to see how she is.
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh that's a hard question, i go with the theory of - if its meant to be it will just happen, all my dogs came to me without me looking for them.

What do you mean a frenchie? A french bulldog?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Where is Mister? I thought you were keeping him?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Hard one hun.

Our girls are fine with puppies, they will let them do anything.

Bruce likes them till they go near the toy box (which we have to take away when any puppies come here)
have you tried her around puppies, tried introducing her in social play etc., in your garden...ok hard if you don't know anyone with a puppy. But if you do worth a try, slowly introducing them indoors.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >