Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:21 AM

kennel club affix

how do you go about getting a kennel club affix? i have looked on their website but there isnt alot of info i may get slated for this post (although i hope i dont) but i currently have a 13 month chinese crested bitch, and i am getting a hairless some point next year. i do plan to breed eventually (and before people jump down my throat i know how hard it is, time consuming etc.) and i will not breed from her until she is at least 2 and has her health tests (her first one is for her eyes on the 27th of novemeber)
what i would like to know is how you get your affix. do u have to have a certain number of dogs before they let you have it? and how much does it cost? i think i have thought of a name that i want (presuming no one has it lol ) but how do you get it? and how did people pick their names for their affixes? ive spent ages thinking about mine lol
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Found a link to help you apply for it:

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/do...GuideNotes.pdf

You can pick anyname you want as long as its not already registered with them. For example my brother in law chose his kennel name by taking parts of his and his partners address. ours is Lukoi as i am a huge anita blake fan and this is the name for werewolves in the books (we have a bit of a theme going!). This is only registered with the NIS at the min but i will also be applying with the KC too.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-10-2009, 10:08 AM
When you ring the kennel club make sure you have several names to try for. They wouldn't let me use my first choice, and so it went on right down to my final one, which I got. There is an 0845 number on the KC website, but if you go into saynoto0870.com and enter the number it will give you the landline number which is a heck of a lot cheaper!!! You then have to wait about 6 weeks whilst they make sure there are no objections to it, and then it is yours, so don't use it until you have the all clear from them
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 10:15 AM
thanks for the help guys im thinkin new ruby...
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 10:25 AM
There is a fee, about £70.00 I think then you have to pay a few quid each year to keep it too. I'm having major dilemmas about my affix - I have some ideas but it's soooo hard thinking of one!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
When you ring the kennel club make sure you have several names to try for. They wouldn't let me use my first choice, and so it went on right down to my final one, which I got. There is an 0845 number on the KC website, but if you go into saynoto0870.com and enter the number it will give you the landline number which is a heck of a lot cheaper!!! You then have to wait about 6 weeks whilst they make sure there are no objections to it, and then it is yours, so don't use it until you have the all clear from them
So you can call them to find out if your name is taken! Thats pretty good. Will give them a call later to find out if Lukoi is taken . . . Not that it really matters as the NI isnt KC reg!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah I know, but if you use an affix that someone is ALREADY using that IS KC reg I think it can get pretty awkward. I know the lady that bred my girls called their G.G grandad Tote Tims Dreamcatcher, then it transpired that Dreamcatcher is the registered affix of some Sibe breeders and they were extremely unhappy about that. She rang and apologised profusely, explained that he was now deceased and she would obviously not be using the name again. So bearing all that in mind I made sure the name I used wasn't in use by anyone else!!!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I've had my affix since 1992 and, from memory, it cost me about £40 at the time, I then have to pay £21 a year to keep it.

I chose mine from a combination of drink names (Tawnymeade), quite apt as my first name is Sheree
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I am so lucky, I've had my affix since 1954 when it wasa couple of pounds & in the 70's when they brought it in for a time before stopping it again I paid about £30 to compound it for life so have not had to pay a penny since.
Getting it was another matter we went through 15 names before they accepted the16th.
denbully
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2009, 08:47 PM
our kennel name is delarhia a combination of mine and my daughters names and was luckly our first choice, i sat down one day with my dad and had my heart set on a kennel name but because you needed to make 6 choices, we played around with a few names untill delarhia came up and i liked it more that the original one i had in mind.

Its £70 set up fee and either £20 a year or £17 i think it is if you pay by direct debit we done ours online and i think i got the certificate through in under 2 weeks but you have to wait another 8 weeks for it to be published and make sure none objects to it before you can officialy use it they dont let you know this they only contact you if there is a problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >