View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:08 PM
When Merlin was still fairly young, one of my closest friends went through a horrible year - his grandmother (who had brought him up) died, closely followed by his aunt, and then he lost his job which meant his home was repossessed. He had a breakdown and ended up on medication.

Several times when I went to visit, he dissolved into tears. Merlin had known him from puppyhood and kept looking at him and then me, wondering what was wrong. In the end, all I had to do was say quietly, "Sort him out, Merlin" and he would jump up, lick tears away and then give my friend such a thoroughly good licking that it made him start laughing and smiling - how can you stay upset when a dog is trying its hardest to cheer you up!

He will still do it - the person doesn't have to be upset - he seems to get a lot of pleasure from being allowed to make someone laugh in this way.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2009, 09:14 PM
All of mine come round me, but Deacon will jump at me and start 'talking' as if he is trying to hug and soothe me, awwww!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 10:03 AM
sadie comes up to me and buries her head into me and then tries to lick the tears!!..when my son noah(2yrs) cries she tries to do the same to him, but he doesnt like it- if hes in the other room crying/tantrum then sadie paces back and forth from me to him as if to tell me hes crying!

ripley stands about 3ft away from me and sort of wags her tail- not sure whether shes in trouble or she should come for a cuddle!!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3