Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi,

I have ridden and driven in France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland. I was petrified of driving on the wrong side of the road, but it quickly became natural whilst over there. I wouldn't worry too much about driving over there really, it is a doddle
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hemel is kinda near Watford next to the M25 in Herts.Cant think of anything else its famous for other than their 'magic roundabout' (that is honestly its nickname!).
Ooh I'll have to google that!
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
Hi,

I have ridden and driven in France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland. I was petrified of driving on the wrong side of the road, but it quickly became natural whilst over there. I wouldn't worry too much about driving over there really, it is a doddle
Thanks for that, feel I have a little more faith now. Although I do get the feeling you've not met many blonde car drivers!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:34 PM
i have driven in italy, both normal cars and a minibus, and ended up lost in the centre of naples, and have driven a 30ft motorhome in canada so i believe i can drive anywhere !!!

its just remembering to stay on the correct side of the road and getting into it- which actually might prove to be more difficult if you are driving from the UK and into another country as then have to remember to change sides LOL

by the sounds f things though if you manage to get out of Uk you will be doing well PMSL only kidding.

you will be fine !!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I've driven from here to Germany down through France and back and it's a doddle compared to driving in the UK! Had no trouble driving on the wrong side of the road either!
Becky
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I've driven in France(they are all mental)The Netherlands-a bit mad on the autobahns as are the Germans

Didn't find it hard & it was before GPS(mine is set to tell me if I'm in a country that drives on the"wrong"side LOL)I just had a sticker on the windscreen saying "Drive on the Right idiot"

What is hard is if you drive in the"middle"east-as in Egypt & Israel as it's left handside in Israel & right in all the other countries Well it was when I was there & driving(long story)
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Driving aboard is a no brainier because the moment you get off the ferry you automatically end up on the correct side of the road.

Just remember to make sure that you have some Euros on you for the toll roads. If your really thick like Michelle and scared of overtaking when driving on the motorways then just put a caravan mirror on your passengers door wing mirror.

The only place you want to try to avoid if your unsure is the centre of Paris as they drive like they own the roads.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh yes, the centre of Paris, around the Arc de Triumph!! That is an experience and a half!!! It is about 10 lanes wide all the way around, (the same amount of roads coming off it too) no white lines anywhere, and everyone just seems to "go for it", but funny how they all seem to sort themselves out without the lines making them stay in any form of "line". We used to watch them every morning whilst waiting for a bus, it was very entertaining, i.e. Ferarri versus bus! Nobody ever hit anyone else, unlike they would in the UK! I don't think I'd like to attempt that one somehow, so avoid the centre of Paris which you should be able to, they're complete nutters in their cars!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
but I'll be on me tod driving to the Czech Republic (still really want to call it Czechoslovkia! ) which would be, erm, interesting!
It's nowhere near as bad as you are thinking.

Czech Republic also sounds wrong to me, I have been waging a one man campaign to change it to Czechland but it doesn't seem to be catching on

PM me if you want to know more about driving here.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh yes, the centre of Paris, around the Arc de Triumph!! That is an experience and a half!!! It is about 10 lanes wide all the way around, (the same amount of roads coming off it too) no white lines anywhere, and everyone just seems to "go for it", but funny how they all seem to sort themselves out without the lines making them stay in any form of "line". We used to watch them every morning whilst waiting for a bus, it was very entertaining, i.e. Ferarri versus bus! Nobody ever hit anyone else, unlike they would in the UK! I don't think I'd like to attempt that one somehow, so avoid the centre of Paris which you should be able to, they're complete nutters in their cars!
Yes but it is brilliant fun, especially watching Michelle breath in and hoping the car will also get narrower.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 01:26 PM
No doubt you also enjoyed the "silence" Colin???!!! I would have gone a bit quiet too!!! The Place de la Concorde isn't a bad one either is it, a total free for all again!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >