Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I have no idea, but hunt sabs have and do. They have purposely led Hounds onto railways etc.. Fed them poison, all sorts. Bloody disgraceful.
I dont condone any of this & neither would any genuine sab.

Its the hunts that treat their hounds appalingly, destroyed if they fail to make the grade, destroyed if theyre sick & when they retire, at around 5-7!!

Its disgusting, im shocked some so called dog lovers arent outraged by this?

Clifford Pellow was a professional Huntsman until 1990, heres his account of how hounds are treated...

Dogs past their prime (generally, older than five or six years) are also killed. Altogether, says Pellow, out of a pack of 60 animals, eight to ten are disposed of every season.

How does a dog fail his or her master? There are many ways: A hound that won't draw (search for a fox) when a fox goes into covert but sits outside waiting for somebody else to do it, he's no good to anyone. Nor is the hound that won't speak (bark) - because there's no point a hound finding a fox if it won't tell you about it. Or you might have a hound that speaks at everything that moves - at a blackbird flying into a tree. Babbling it's called

Many of the injuries to the dogs are dealt with by the hunt servants. 'We consider ourselves, somewhat, as veterinary surgeons, which of course we aren't. We don't have the competence or the equipment, such as local anaesthetic. Yet, I myself have stitched a hound with ordinary needle and cotton. She was called Tablet and you could see the fleshy part of her ribs underneath a barbed wire tear. Happily, she made a good recovery and the vet congratulated me on a good job'.

On another occasion, he used a razor blade to sever a toe that had been dangling by the cord through much of an active day's hunting. ‘I think it was then she felt it, for she gave out with a yelp. I washed, bandaged and put some cream on it and she was out again in a fortnight.'

Training the younger hounds and rebuking older ones for loss of concentration is also a bruising business. To scold a pup, the servant seizes the culprit and strikes him with the handle of the whip across the ribs - firmly enough, says Pellow, to raise a row of bumps. At the same time, the youngster is verbally reprimanded. An older dog who, say, shows interest in a sheep, will feel the whip's leash. 'And I can tell you, I've had a whip around me a couple of times, that it does smart a bit.’

oh yes the hunts love their animals

Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post

Actually foxes are beneficial to agriculture they keep down rabbits plus voles and other rodents, though a large part of their diet is invertabrates. Poor husbandry is by far the main cause of livestock mortality. The findings of Defra study on lamb predation...

New born lambs are a common target for foxes and there is no way on earth you can secure fields from them-end of. I know you're gonna probably mention Llamas etc,but they're just another mouth to feed for a farmer who is already screwed over price wise.

Foxes benefitting agriculture? Maybe if they stuck to rabbit,but they dont and never will.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
New born lambs are a common target for foxes and there is no way on earth you can secure fields from them-end of. I know you're gonna probably mention Llamas etc,but they're just another mouth to feed for a farmer who is already screwed over price wise.

Foxes benefitting agriculture? Maybe if they stuck to rabbit,but they dont and never will.
Alpaca actually

Official figures show foxes take less than 1 per cent of lambs - and those they do take are likely to be already ailing. The high losses are due to exploitation and neglect by farmers themselves.

Some four million newborn lambs - about one in five of the total - die every year within a few days of birth, mostly from disease, exposure, or malnutrition. (Henderson, Lamb Survival, Farming Press). And about a million adult breeding animals (out of about 17.5 million) also die in the fields annually

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMP...anism/ALL/501/
The impact of foxes on agriculture is a controversial issue. In general, farmers perceive any predator as a pest because of losses suffered by their livestock. However, several studies on the economic role of foxes have highlighted some interesting findings which are explored in detail in this section on foxes and agriculture.

Each year, rabbits cause an estimated £120 million of damage to agriculture in Britain. Foxes cause an estimated £12 million of damage but this needs to be put in perspective, because rabbits are the main prey of foxes in rural areas. By eating rabbits, foxes provide an indirect economic benefit to farmers of at least £7 million annually. Because fox benefits offset their costs, foxes are probably economically neutral to farmers.

Research on lamb, poultry and piglets shows that losses to foxes are, in general, low and that simple measure to improve husbandry may effectively reduce predation.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:06 PM
I dont condone any of this & neither would any genuine sab.
Sadly the "genuine" ones must now be few and far between

Its the hunts that treat their hounds appalingly, destroyed if they fail to make the grade, destroyed if theyre sick & when they retire, at around 5-7!!
They are not pets, they are working animals. They dont make excuses nor hide the facts of it. This is not new at all, everyone knows it. Not sure why you would think they they are treated as pets in the home would be, if you know as much as you claim to.

Its disgusting, im shocked some so called dog lovers arent outraged by this?
Why? Some people accept people for what they are and dont feel they need to try to "change" them. Knowing whats involved with any sport, passtime etc.. is what its all about. You can choose to accept it or walk away.

Clifford Pellow was a professional Huntsman until 1990, heres his account of how hounds are treated...

Dogs past their prime (generally, older than five or six years) are also killed. Altogether, says Pellow, out of a pack of 60 animals, eight to ten are disposed of every season.
Again, this is very well known fact. Beats the thousands killed every day in strays kennels doesnt it!!

How does a dog fail his or her master? There are many ways: A hound that won't draw (search for a fox) when a fox goes into covert but sits outside waiting for somebody else to do it, he's no good to anyone. Nor is the hound that won't speak (bark) - because there's no point a hound finding a fox if it won't tell you about it. Or you might have a hound that speaks at everything that moves - at a blackbird flying into a tree. Babbling it's called

Many of the injuries to the dogs are dealt with by the hunt servants. 'We consider ourselves, somewhat, as veterinary surgeons, which of course we aren't. We don't have the competence or the equipment, such as local anaesthetic. Yet, I myself have stitched a hound with ordinary needle and cotton. She was called Tablet and you could see the fleshy part of her ribs underneath a barbed wire tear. Happily, she made a good recovery and the vet congratulated me on a good job'.

On another occasion, he used a razor blade to sever a toe that had been dangling by the cord through much of an active day's hunting. ‘I think it was then she felt it, for she gave out with a yelp. I washed, bandaged and put some cream on it and she was out again in a fortnight.'

Training the younger hounds and rebuking older ones for loss of concentration is also a bruising business. To scold a pup, the servant seizes the culprit and strikes him with the handle of the whip across the ribs - firmly enough, says Pellow, to raise a row of bumps. At the same time, the youngster is verbally reprimanded. An older dog who, say, shows interest in a sheep, will feel the whip's leash. 'And I can tell you, I've had a whip around me a couple of times, that it does smart a bit.’
All this must be at least 15yrs old? Why are you consistently dragging up old news? Its all well known. Im just confused as why you feel its relevant to an idiot who grabs a wild animal that was in the middle of a pack of dogs!! Crazy!

oh yes the hunts love their animals
Im sure they do in their way. Not like we would our pets of course, but the Fox Hound is not a pet!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:06 PM
I agree with x clo x
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Official figures show foxes take less than 1 per cent of lambs - and those they do take are likely to be already ailing. The high losses are due to exploitation and neglect by farmers themselves.

Each year, rabbits cause an estimated £120 million of damage to agriculture in Britain.
Its not just foxes which predate on new born lambs-crows like to peck their eyes out (its the softest and most vunerable part and yes i shoot these too). Lambs do die in the fields and sometimes for no good reason which is unfortunate,but this will always happen.Despite what you think farmers do look after their animals so neglect dont come into it because its their living it effects when things go t*ts up.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Sadly the "genuine" ones must now be few and far between

They are not pets, they are working animals. They dont make excuses nor hide the facts of it. This is not new at all, everyone knows it. Not sure why you would think they they are treated as pets in the home would be, if you know as much as you claim to.

Why? Some people accept people for what they are and dont feel they need to try to "change" them. Knowing whats involved with any sport, passtime etc.. is what its all about. You can choose to accept it or walk away.

Again, this is very well known fact. Beats the thousands killed every day in strays kennels doesnt it!!

All this must be at least 15yrs old? Why are you consistently dragging up old news? Its all well known. Im just confused as why you feel its relevant to an idiot who grabs a wild animal that was in the middle of a pack of dogs!! Crazy!

Im sure they do in their way. Not like we would our pets of course, but the Fox Hound is not a pet!

ah Dawn you and I are poles apart when it comes to animal welfare issues lol. I condemn anyone who threats hounds inhumanely... you on the other hand only condemn one set....I wont even go into our differences wildlife issues!

By the way, Hounds can make Great pets, given the chance , i knew someone who had a rescued foxhound & a lady on another forum i frequent lol, has 2 rescues!

I dont think they can be anymore of a challenge than my Siberians.

Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Its not just foxes which predate on new born lambs-crows like to peck their eyes out (its the softest and most vunerable part and yes i shoot these too). Lambs do die in the fields and sometimes for no good reason which is unfortunate,but this will always happen.Despite what you think farmers do look after their animals so neglect dont come into it because its their living it effects when things go t*ts up.
Not according to DEFRA statistics.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:48 PM
If they are registered what will happen to them when theyre no longer of any use? MFHA dont allow registered hounds to be found homes.

So what controlled fox numbers before man decided they 'needed' controlling?

Actually foxes are beneficial to agriculture they keep down rabbits plus voles and other rodents, though a large part of their diet is invertabrates. Poor husbandry is by far the main cause of livestock mortality. The findings of Defra study on lamb predation...

Deaths due to all predators (i.e. not just foxes) and misadventures combined account for only 5% of this figure, whereas 95% is due to poor husbandry and a variety of management problems.

I know fox can cause havoc to poultry but there are humane ways of keeping them safe, the onus should be on farmers, killing should be a last resort not the 1st.

Fox and their indiginous prey species have co-existed for millennia, foxes shouldnt be used as the scapegoat when invariably its going to be due to manmade pressues that are the root of the decline, shouldnt we be trying to put our own house in order before killing a native species?

we've kept all ours into old age. they live with the main huntsman at his house and then the whipper in owns 6 of them. we lost two of our oldie last year. if they havent moved onto another hunt while they are younger they stay put, and retire with the people theyve always lived with. (even though ive already claimed one of ours when she's an oldie )
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I have no idea, but hunt sabs have and do. They have purposely led Hounds onto railways etc.. Fed them poison, all sorts. Bloody disgraceful.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
My issue with human beings is that there aren't any predators that kills THEM and keeps THEIR numbers in control.

I am not a bunny hugger, I eat meat, I would be happy to kill my own food if I had to, but I just don't buy this "such and such is vermin, and therefore needs to be controlled". Vermin is as vermin does, one man's meat is another man's poison.

The only true vermin IMO on this planet is man - because there is little to check our numbers. We have cancer, we have disease, for sure, but our numbers are increasing and increasing with no apparent solution. WE are the vermin, not foxes!
dont even get me started on human population and keeping their numbers in control! i have views on that too whole other debate!
Page 11 of 21 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »