View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
OK - back from the Vet visit with all good news - PHEW! Firstly her lost voice - nothing stuck in her throat, which I knew, but it did look slightly red - probably because of trying desperately to bark all morning due to the [still ongoing] work outside. Her chest is perfectly clear though so Ram reckons it is just strained vocal cords and nothing to worry about - and to enjoy the quiet until she gets her voice back.

He said that a dog her size who could get through a frozen large chicken carcass [neck, tail and all] as she did yesterday evening obviously showed that her throat was not sore or bothering her!

Secondly her leg. It is a massive haematoma although how it happened is a mystery but it will gradually go as the blood is absorbed into her muscles. He checked all her joints on all her legs and they all got the all clear. I did say that I have been giving her Glucosamine with Chondroitin and MSM, plus Green Lipped Mussel purely as a preventative measure, and that got the thumbs up as well!

Pereg was absolutely wonderful, as she always is at the surgery. Just lay on her side on the table and let Ram do whatever he wanted. Just as she did in the photo here:

"Well you told me not to move"...

Her weight was 500g up from April being 17.1kg but as she had had a large meal at 1pm [knowing that we would not be back until gone 3pm which would have been very late for her first meal] plus she had had a large drink of water at the surgery before she was weighed, and as she had not pee'd or poo'd since eating I doubt whether she actually gained weight - she did an enormous pee and a poo as soon as we got home!

I asked if he had any Pb in stock as I only have about 8 weeks supply left which will not last until Pereg's next due check-up and blood tests. He only had two packs of 30 x 100mg and two of 30 x 15mg so only enough for another 30 days so I will telephone to order more before these run out and David will pick them up for me when they are in.

Total cost? Just £32.75 for the pills because Ram does not charge for a
consultation, just for treatment - and as far as he was concerned, looking down Pereg's throat and listening to her lung sounds does not count as treatment!

Now for the bad new that might end up to be good news. We got back to find that the dozers had broken off huge chunks from both corners of my 1.5m wide ramp/path. Another earful from me to go with the earful they got when I told them I was waiting for a taxi and they would have to clear enough of the bricks and huge lengths of curbstones so that [a] the taxi could park close and [b] so that the driver would be able to get both Pereg and me across the sand and stones to get into and then out of the taxi.

So - not only are they going to repair it as I said I had the ramp built extra wide because I have an extra large road scooter, but they said they would put a proper dropped kerb opposite the ramp, so it will not only be easier for me but also an obvious indication not to park across it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm totally LOST on here today. Can't find out what's up with Pereg. No clue about anything else. Only thing I seem to be up to scratch with is the RED NOSE!

*ahh typed this as the pereg update came in.

** glad she is OK
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-07-2013, 02:04 PM
So glad Pereg is fine and there is nothing alarming going on with her.
Great News about your ramp
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-07-2013, 02:15 PM
All good news Mlaka. Phew.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Had a lovely half hour or more outside with the dogs. Sweet wild wind and skies clearing to sun. Sat on one of the large rocks that live here and drank good coffee and gave thanks for recovery and renewed health and promised my wee jelly beans a considerate diet; low protein and low salt.

Will research more also on this. Bless google!

Antibiotics all finished.. letter to practice goes registered post tomorrow re the irregularities.

Watched the lls black and white calves grazing and my black and white cat exploring as my black and white collie yipped as he could hear her... Threw balls for them then stood on the rock and let the wind move me, rock me, dance me.

Forecast is good and likely to set fair for the week which is grand so.

Have finished a pretty newborn baby set; delicate pale pink and lacy with wee white daisies on the toes and top and white picot edge satin ribbon. The hardest heart will soften to see them. ... blessed three times, in the making, in the giving, in the giving to our babies.

Life is sweet and precious and to give to those who have not the means to live.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
OK - back from the Vet visit with all good news - PHEW! Firstly her lost voice - nothing stuck in her throat, which I knew, but it did look slightly red - probably because of trying desperately to bark all morning due to the [still ongoing] work outside. Her chest is perfectly clear though so Ram reckons it is just strained vocal cords and nothing to worry about - and to enjoy the quiet until she gets her voice back.

He said that a dog her size who could get through a frozen large chicken carcass [neck, tail and all] as she did yesterday evening obviously showed that her throat was not sore or bothering her!

Secondly her leg. It is a massive haematoma although how it happened is a mystery but it will gradually go as the blood is absorbed into her muscles. He checked all her joints on all her legs and they all got the all clear. I did say that I have been giving her Glucosamine with Chondroitin and MSM, plus Green Lipped Mussel purely as a preventative measure, and that got the thumbs up as well!

Pereg was absolutely wonderful, as she always is at the surgery. Just lay on her side on the table and let Ram do whatever he wanted. Just as she did in the photo here:

"Well you told me not to move"...

Her weight was 500g up from April being 17.1kg but as she had had a large meal at 1pm [knowing that we would not be back until gone 3pm which would have been very late for her first meal] plus she had had a large drink of water at the surgery before she was weighed, and as she had not pee'd or poo'd since eating I doubt whether she actually gained weight - she did an enormous pee and a poo as soon as we got home!

I asked if he had any Pb in stock as I only have about 8 weeks supply left which will not last until Pereg's next due check-up and blood tests. He only had two packs of 30 x 100mg and two of 30 x 15mg so only enough for another 30 days so I will telephone to order more before these run out and David will pick them up for me when they are in.

Total cost? Just £32.75 for the pills because Ram does not charge for a
consultation, just for treatment - and as far as he was concerned, looking down Pereg's throat and listening to her lung sounds does not count as treatment!

Now for the bad new that might end up to be good news. We got back to find that the dozers had broken off huge chunks from both corners of my 1.5m wide ramp/path. Another earful from me to go with the earful they got when I told them I was waiting for a taxi and they would have to clear enough of the bricks and huge lengths of curbstones so that [a] the taxi could park close and [b] so that the driver would be able to get both Pereg and me across the sand and stones to get into and then out of the taxi.

So - not only are they going to repair it as I said I had the ramp built extra wide because I have an extra large road scooter, but they said they would put a proper dropped kerb opposite the ramp, so it will not only be easier for me but also an obvious indication not to park across it.

So glad all is well again..
Brings to mind the end of Genesis.. "They meant it for harm but God used it for good,"
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Malka That is great news both from Pereg's point of view and from the ramp which will be a great improvement having a dropped curb right across your drive and as they have said it will deter people from parking across your drive too!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2013, 02:51 PM
June - considering that the ramp/path cost me nearly £600 to be built 12 years ago - can you imagine what it would cost now with everything quadrupling in price [if not more]? It was done properly, not just concrete laid down. They dug down and leveled the earth, put boards along each side, a thick plastic membrane, and then a layer of sand. On top of that they laid that thick iron mesh stuff and then had a full concrete mixer lorry load of concrete put down. A very very thick layer of concrete.

It goes up from my concrete "patio" and then a 30° turn right and up towards my neighbour, then another 30° turn left and up to the pavement. The normal width for a wheelchair ramp is 1m [it is far too steep for a manual chair but OK for Xanadu who is a powerful electric wheelchair] but I had this made 1.5m wide so it will take the widest and heaviest mobility scooter, not that the scooter I had then was anywhere near the size of The Silver Monster, being a normal sized road scooter. Actually the path would easily take the weight of a small car!

So you can imagine how piddled off I was to see the corners broken off and had to open The Shack to show them the size and width of The Silver Monster and why they had to repair it properly, not just patch it up.

No idea when it will all be finished, but they have already gone for the day, tomorrow is only a half day for work - assuming they do actually work on a Friday and not just a five day week. And although the end of the ramp is just about wide enough for me to get Xanadu through I doubt he would cope with the sand and stones to get onto the road - and I will need stuff from the macolet tomorrow morning for Shabbat.

But such a relief about Pereg - and I am more grateful than ever for having a Vet who will give appointments the same day. I mean it was not a life-threatening emergency, but I was really very worried about the huge swelling which just seemed to spread, and the fact that if possible Pereg would not put any weight on it and when she did she limped very badly.

Also a relief that it did not cost me anything apart from the pills, plus David only charged me the regular taxi fare to there and back and did not charge a waiting time for coming in with me. He even lifted Pereg onto the table for Ram to examine her! She, of course, adores David!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Firstly Malka - a pleasure to read you post about Pereg. All good then in spite of not knowing what caused her huge bruise What a good girl that she'll just lie still while being dealt with. If you end up getting an extra wide ramp and dropped curb that can only be good news ...... lets hope it materialises.
June - You must be furious about that loose dog. Unfortunately it will only get worse from now on in as a lot of the private schools finish this week and state schools in a couple of weeks .............. so lots of kids and loose dogs no doubt Loose dogs are my biggest nightmare as well 'cos or Rucksack's lack of confidence and complete panic if an unknown dog comes up to him. I have to say that I'm delighted that Rucksack isn't the only one that rolls in disgusting things .... sorry.
Have to shoot as my OH has just phoned to say his battery has gone flat so have to go and take some jump-leads to him.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Aw Malka, I'm glad that Pereg is okay.

It's a weird day here, lovely sunshine but really windy as well.

I went through to the jewellers...Monday was the earliest. So I went to the wee man in the Shoe Bar up the street in the end. £2.50 to get three links removed. Dread to think how much it would have cost for the jewellers to do it. As a bonus the wee man in the Shoe Bar has an 18 month old BC girl who loooves attention. She loved the fact that I was the only customer who will speak to her, and when I had to go to the bank to get money and came back in I got a real row from her for not saying hello when I came back in. Funny little girlie.

Ah well, back to the grind I guess.
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »