Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
But as Labs and Staffies (and their crosses) are two of the most popular breeds, it isn't surprisng that you are going to see more of them engaging in such behaviour.
i did wonder about that. good point
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i did wonder about that. good point
...and I think the point I made earlier about black dogs is true. Most people will think that your average sized, short coated black dog is a Lab or a Lab mix when it could in fact have little or no Lab heritage at all. There are a LOT of breeds and types that, when crossed, could produce a black dog that resembles a Lab. Just thinking of another cross breed I know of, is a GSP x Dobermann who is all black and could be mistaken for a working type Labrador. All I will say is looks can be VERY deceiving when it comes to black Labradors.

Because there are so many idiots breeding dogs that don't physically resemble the breed, so many loose sight of what a Lab actually should look like. The yellows and chocolates are a bit more 'obvious' thanks to their colour even when poorly bred, but the blacks are less so. People should bear this is mind before they assume the dog they have a run in with is a pure Labrador.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2011, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=labradork;2210080]...and I think the point I made earlier about black dogs is true. Most people will think that your average sized, short coated black dog is a Lab or a Lab mix when it could in fact have little or no Lab heritage at all. There are a LOT of breeds and types that, when crossed, could produce a black dog that resembles a Lab. Just thinking of another cross breed I know of, is a GSP x Dobermann who is all black and could be mistaken for a working type Labrador. All I will say is looks can be VERY deceiving when it comes to black Labradors.

Because there are so many idiots breeding dogs that don't physically resemble the breed, so many loose sight of what a Lab actually should look like. The yellows and chocolates are a bit more 'obvious' thanks to their colour even when poorly bred, but the blacks are less so. People should bear this is mind before they assume the dog they have a run in with is a pure Labrador.[/QUOTE]

I think you may have a point to a degree, but dont assume we all dont know what a lab looks like,

I can point you in the direction of 3 black Labs (all pedigree) close to me, and ALL are nasty blighters.

Thats does not mean, I dont know some fabulous ones, I do,
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:21 PM
It's funny, around here there are loads of black Labs and they are all your stereotypical Lab in temperament. I have never, ever come across one who is nasty or aggressive.

Guess I've just been lucky.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Yep, no issues with black labs here either. Deed not breed remember!!!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:39 PM
My family rescued a yellow lab who apparently had been drugged as he was so hyperactive........no he was a teenage lab.

I love this breed because of Ben, he wasnt the easiest but he was one of the best. They are victims of their own reputation.

The only dogs Beau has had run ins with were black labs but I blame the owners. One especially, who stood waving her hands in the air while screaming!! Chocolate watch came to mind
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Jackbox;2210103]
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
...and I think the point I made earlier about black dogs is true. Most people will think that your average sized, short coated black dog is a Lab or a Lab mix when it could in fact have little or no Lab heritage at all. There are a LOT of breeds and types that, when crossed, could produce a black dog that resembles a Lab. Just thinking of another cross breed I know of, is a GSP x Dobermann who is all black and could be mistaken for a working type Labrador. All I will say is looks can be VERY deceiving when it comes to black Labradors.

Because there are so many idiots breeding dogs that don't physically resemble the breed, so many loose sight of what a Lab actually should look like. The yellows and chocolates are a bit more 'obvious' thanks to their colour even when poorly bred, but the blacks are less so. People should bear this is mind before they assume the dog they have a run in with is a pure Labrador.[/QUOTE]

I think you may have a point to a degree, but dont assume we all dont know what a lab looks like,

I can point you in the direction of 3 black Labs (all pedigree) close to me, and ALL are nasty blighters.

Thats does not mean, I dont know some fabulous ones, I do,
I'm not "assuming" anything, but making a valid point about black dogs. Go to the RSPCA or another general dog rescue and pretty much all black, averaged sized dogs will be labelled as a 'Lab cross' or likewise, regardless of whether they actually are. The dog you (not you personally ) condemn to be an 'aggressive Labrador' might not in fact be one at all...that is all.

On that note, I think I've only ever come across one Boxer that didn't want to take chunks out of my dogs. I can point you in the direction of more than several Boxers that are nasty blighters. But that doesn't mean anything, does it? I could point you in the direction of 'nasty blighters' of ALL breeds, including 'perfect family pet' Cockers, Springers, Golden Retrievers, etc. The breeds are not at fault here but the idiots who produce them in the first place.

Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
It's funny, around here there are loads of black Labs and they are all your stereotypical Lab in temperament. I have never, ever come across one who is nasty or aggressive.

Guess I've just been lucky.
Same here, and it is safe to say I've come across more than a few in my time!!
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Bit racist all this anti black Lab stuff!

Maybe they should be added to the Dangerous Dog act or whatever it's called! All black Labs should be muzzled!

I had no idea so many people were against Black Labradors. I have to say I have found the whole thread quite funny!
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post

Maybe they should be added to the Dangerous Dog act or whatever it's called! All black Labs should be muzzled!

I had no idea so many people were against Black Labradors. I have to say I have found the whole thread quite funny!
No breed of dog should be banned but a lot of people have had bad experiences with black labs. I have and that's why I'm wary of them however if I come across a friendly one I'll let them play with my dogs no problem. A lot of people are scared of my dogs because of their breeds but I don't care haha I know my dogs are friendly but that doesn't mean someone who has a bad history with staffies or mastiffs will like my dogs that's just the way it is. I'm always on guard when meeting a black lab after being bitten by two, chased by another, one of my dogs being bitten by another and another two going for all my dogs... All have been black labs! Just my experience doesn't mean I hate all black labs I just get nervous when meeting one!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post

It's strange, but I have found that a lot of people view a loose "black" dog - especially a large one - in a suspicious negative way. A blonde or brown dog it seems is not viewed in quite the same way and will get a better reception. I don't think there is any logic to this at all and it is not a deserved reputation. Is it just the colour black?
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >