Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cranberry1
New Member!
Female 

31-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Full time workers

Hello,

My husband and I are hoping to rehome an adult dog, but i was wondering if all rescues have a policy of not rehoming to full time workers. I've looked at a few websites and this seems to be stated quite often.

We live in a 2 bed terraced house with a small yard, we have two cats and two rabbits. We both work full time. My husband works 9-5, mon-fri and i work three 12hr shifts a week. We would employ a dog walker for the 2 or 3 days where no one was home and we live a 2 minute walk from a huge park where we'd walk the dog before and after work. Does our situation sound like one that would result in us not being suitable, because we are both working full time, and even with the dog walker coming in for an hour the dog would be left for about 4 hrs in the morning and then 3/4 in the afternoon.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I dont work in rescue so i couldnt say definatively. However it sounds as though you have really thought about provisions to be put in place. Maybe if you highlighted this to the rescue it would go in your favour. I hope they dont say no, as there are soooo many homes like yours that could give a dog a home.....

Good luck
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 03:47 PM
If you wanted an Akita lol, then you would be homechecked and probably approved by us . We have lots that like cats too, heehee. LOOAAADs have lived in households previously quite happily where their owners work all day.

People who say this is no good are talking nonesense, how many couples don't work full-time nowadays?!

You're lucky, because you actually work shifts rather than both 9-5!

Please don't be put off through worrying that you may not be accepted. There are plenty of dogs across the country in kennels who would be suited to your lifestyle.

You actually only have 3 days a week where you will both be out all day. The rescue we work for would expect somebody to pop home at lunch to let them out for a wee, and of course morning and evening exercise/mental stimulation as you say.

Don't worry about the size of your house/garden.

I'd say the most important thing is to think about a suitable breed, a more docile breed rather than a working breed. It's good you want an adult too, makes more sense.

Good luck and keep us updated!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 05:35 PM
The major ones tend to have a blanket policy try smaller local rescues. What are you looking for?
ATD x
cranberry1
New Member!
Female 

31-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
What are you poking for?
Breedwise? We haven't made a firm decision yet, I've spent quite a bit of time researching breeds but we haven't made any definite choice yet.

I do love Akitas, but I know they're quite a strong breed, perhaps not suitable for a first time dog owner?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Hi, I agree that the larger rescues may well dismiss you - that's because they tend to have blanket policies which they are not allowed to bend even for a decent home.

The smaller rescues and breed specific rescues tend to treat each case on its own merits. Nevertheless, you'd still stand a better chance if you opt for an older dog rather than a pup or younger dog. That's what we did when we first rescued 8 years ago and we never regretted it. Some people think that an older dog will never really feel like your own - believe me that is not the case.

Good luck with your search
cranberry1
New Member!
Female 

31-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Thank you for your reply. We are certainly looking at getting an adult dog, and would definitely consider an older dog. We know our situation wouldn't be fair on a puppy/young dog. I guess it's a case of finding a rescue that would rehome to us, and then finding a dog to suit our situation. I definitely feel more positive having read these replies though

Any advice on breeds/rescues/first time dog ownership greatly appreciated!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by cranberry1 View Post
I do love Akitas, but I know they're quite a strong breed, perhaps not suitable for a first time dog owner?
That is often said, yes.. they can be very aggressive, neither of mine are but hey..

It really depends on the dog My male is more yorkie than Akita We're certainly not what we call 'experienced' but we have learnt so much over the few years we've had them, and put 110% into their training, they really are our lives
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Some people think that an older dog will never really feel like your own - believe me that is not the case.
I'm with you there, the one special dog to walk in my life is a rescue.
cranberry1
New Member!
Female 

31-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
That is often said, yes.. they can be very aggressive, neither of mine are but hey..

It really depends on the dog
Yes I think that's true, there are generalisations about all breeds but it really comes down to the individual dog.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >