View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 01:33 PM

smell (odour may be indicative of kidney problems or cancer)

Had an email from a guy. Wondering if anyone has any advice

"Hi, we live in Pembrokeshire and have a 13 yr old staffy, now I am hoping that one of your members may be able to help us with a problem we have with "shep".
He's giving off an odour not disimilar to a chemical smell, he's had this problem for about 2 mths now and has changed his diet ,his washing powder even has been using a vet supplied shampoo (malaseb), blood tests have been done and he has ben on antibiotics just in case it was a urine infection but to no avail.
Our vet is just stumped, so I thought I would ask someone else. The other thing is , my partner is suffering too now coz the odour is giving her a reaction on her face and she is now unable to be near our "shep".
Please could you ask around in your circle of staffy owners just in case this story rings a bell.
Many thanks , Andy Hatton"

Tracie
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 02:01 PM
hmmm...china has been smelly sometimes...all i can think is its a dermatology thing...also get his wife to take one a day antihistamines for the allergy.....
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2005, 09:30 PM
A chemical odour to the breath can be indicative of kidney disease. Given the age of the dog in question I would think it would be well worth having his kidney function assessed.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 10:02 PM
My Barney had cancer in his leg (now amputated) and it had a significant smell I cannot describe it and if he moved sometimes it was more pungent! It was undescribable to say what it was like, chemical isnt one of them. But depends on what chemicals your used to.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2005, 10:13 PM
my old dog ben had kidney cancer, and he smelled chemically towards the end, hope this isnt the case tracie
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Take advice Scotbun on this one coz doesnt look good to me?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi Traci an offensive persistant odour in dogs can be a sign of various forms of cancer. If they do not already do so I would add some veg to the diet, well chopped carrot,greeds no onions though and a clove of garlic .