Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2011, 11:44 AM

Personality change ?

Fergus is going on for 9 months old, he has always been a very good dog but this week it is like he has had a personality change!! He is very disobedient, started chewing things, tv remote, mobile phones etc and yesterday did a wee on the carpet right in front of me!!!

I know it is said dogs have the teenage stage but this is beyond a joke!! even the very basic commands like sit he just stands and looks at me
There has not been any changes to his routine or lifestyle at all and he has plenty of toys and things of his own to chew, any one got any ideas how to get my good little pup back
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
He is a teenager now :O
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
He is a teenager now :O
Oh god, been through that with four kids !!!
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Just keep re-enforcing what you want him to do.
He could be testing the water to see what he can get away with.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by tilskie View Post
Fergus is going on for 9 months old, he has always been a very good dog but this week it is like he has had a personality change!! He is very disobedient, started chewing things, tv remote, mobile phones etc and yesterday did a wee on the carpet right in front of me!!!

I know it is said dogs have the teenage stage but this is beyond a joke!! even the very basic commands like sit he just stands and looks at me
There has not been any changes to his routine or lifestyle at all and he has plenty of toys and things of his own to chew, any one got any ideas how to get my good little pup back
Hmmm - that was about the age Pereg was when I desperately tried to re-home her as she was totally impossible and unmanageable and diabolical and Aaaaaarrrgggghhhh - until my Vet suggested a dog-trainer - who promptly trained me!

Like my children when they got to be typical terrible teenagers - Pereg grew out of it - far quicker than my daughter ever did! [I am not sure whether she has yet grown out of it though and she will be 44 in a couple of months ]
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Kevin has appeared, but hopefully, it won't be long till you get your little angel back. This is the time to stand for no nonsense, ignoring works well, along with instilling those commands that he already knows. Tire him out with lots of training, out on walks, wherever, get him thinking, wear that brain out so he hasn't got any energy left to make up his own games! Play with him too, that worked well for me.

Be careful when you're out, because my trainer told me that my 100% recall would fail at 9 months old! (It never did, but she warned me this was the age that it would). Kevin never appeared for me either, but I'm not holding my breath even though she's now 3! Good luck, keep him occupied!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
You just need to ride it out for a few months.

Just a wee teenager.

My GWP started at a bout 2 years old and it lasted till she was about 5. She was a little sh1t. Good job I am as bluddy minded as she is. I look her to the lurcher racing. That totally tired her out.
marianne38
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2011, 02:29 PM
My Golden retriever was the same, and he recall went out the window as well. it did get worse before it got better.
About 15 to 18 months he got better.

My other puppy is 5 months and she is adorable- but just waiting for that change.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Been through it too I think this is why so many 8 - 18 month old dogs end up rescue

Bailey my big lad was a nightmare from 10 - 18 months as was my littley Poppy from 6-9 months, everything they knew went out the window and I started again from the basics, got them loads of toys things like Kong's as they reward and keep them going for longer Lots walks with loads of training in them - I worked on the 'the more tired they are, the less energy they'll have to destroy the house' scenario

Good luck and stick with it as when he comes out the other side all the extra training etc you put in now will help in the long run and you should end up with a well rounded and trained dog It's a few months of hell for a lifetime of reward
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 02:50 PM
I know exactly how you are feeling, I have two pups that have just turned 10months and they are definitely both 'kevins' The 'kevins' appeared overnight along with the one and only moult they will ever do (shedding their baby undercoat). Fortunately they haven't peed inside and had better not!! They will attempt to chew anything in their path so as a result everything is on work surfaces or up high (including shoes). Their recall is still great, thank goodness, although when asked to sit or lie down they do tend to look at me as though I'm speaking in another language The main thing is to keep your voice calm and try not to keep repeating the same command over and over. If you ask him to sit and he doesn't, push his bottom down. Mine are certainly 'pushing me to the limit' at the moment but I know it will get better and I will lose 'kevin' and get my lovely obedient pups back again ....... one day Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >