View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Rupert has killed and will kill again given the opportunity. When you live in a rat infested flat you can't really stop a dog who wants to kill from killing to be honest. He's killed a cat that jumped out of a tree at him and has grabbed and attempted to kill another while on leash. I don't know whether it survived as I have no idea who owned it or even what colour it was as it was pitch black. It ran off but that doesn't necessarily mean it was unhurt. He'll grab low flying birds out of the air and is a sheep chaser. I don't know whether he's killed sheep as he's not had the chance to indulge in that particular activity since I've had him but his reaction to sheep tells me he'd certainly give it his best shot. Same with horses, chickens and any other animal but cattle. He's attempted to kill the neighbours rabbit and attempted to kill my pet rats several times. He did learn through training and management to leave them alone while they were in their cage but no way on this earth I'd have trusted him with them loose and if I wasn't in the room they were kept in the door was locked so he couldn't get at them. Had he killed them it would have been my fault and although I'd have been upset I wouldn't have got rid of him or had him put to sleep.

He's terrified of strange dogs and if he couldn't get away I have a feeling he would kill them out of fear. Introduced carefully he's friendly but rude and if I did have another dog with him they would be seperated when I went out.

I don't want my dog killing anything to be honest and manage him so that it's extremely rare these days that he does it. However, he's not going to change and given the opportunity he'll kill again. I know it, my husband knows it and we do what we can to prevent it happening.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
but people have already said that wasnt fighting, and those dogs werent going to kill each other. my dogs do that sometimes, daphni does it to asbo when shes had enough of playing, she doesnt hurt him, just lets him no he pushing it a bit.
Right so the word 'fought' doesn't mean fighting then?

rune
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
No one suggested that aggression was shown at shows.

rune
I dont think dogs generally will differentiate their surroundings if they are going to kill...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I dont think dogs generally will differentiate their surroundings if they are going to kill...
How many dogs have you known that have killed? BD says they do differentiate, hers kill when she wants them to.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I think this ought not to be about the specific event.

It is more about what we as owners would feel if it happened to us.

Not what we think other people ought to be doing.

In some peoples world it is OK to kill animals who are not 'in the family' and OK to kill small mammals.

Me----I don't want my dogs to kill anything as I respect life--- be it the life of one of my dogs, the neighbours cat or the rabbits in the field.

In 50 +years of owning dogs I have never felt the need to encourage or allow them to kill. They enjoy their lives in other ways.

BTW----I don't believe for one minute BD would pts Livvy if she attacked one of the others. Like with the boxers excuses would be made and the showing would take precedent. How stressed must the dog that never started it feel having to deal with the aggressor on a regular basis?

rune
You are so pathetic it defies belief! Ill say it one last time very clearly so even the ones that struggle can understand:

IF ANY OF MY DOGS KILLED ONE OF MY OTHERS ID HAVE IT PTS.

I hope thats clear now.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Because of this

"When i showed & my dogs were entire i had two males who fought. They would put each other "down" on their backs but thats as far as it went. It was always the same one that started it."

Inference being that the dogs were entire because they have to be to be shown---so the showing was more important than peace in the group.

rune
Oh dear! Dogs dont have to be entire to be shown! That wasnt meant at all you just dont understand.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:07 PM
How many dogs have you known that have killed? BD says they do differentiate, hers kill when she wants them to.

rune
Hers are working terriers sweetie, they have a job to do, and that is hunting

I have gundogs, whilst mine dont work I have bred pups that are worked. Mine are purely trained to pick up and retrieve dead animals that have been shot, but dogs are bred and trained for all different purposes.

Forgive me for being blunt, but you dont seem to understand what on earth you're talking about You seem very contradictory and im having trouble working out exactly what points you're trying to make
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:08 PM

rune
No you are wrong again, I said mine have never killed another dog, you need to pay closer attention. I also said they know what is "theirs" they do, perhaps they are just smart dogs 'eh!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Hers are working terriers sweetie, they have a job to do, and that is hunting

I have gundogs, whilst mine dont work I have bred pups that are worked. Mine are purely trained to pick up and retrieve dead animals that have been shot, but dogs are bred and trained for all different purposes.

Forgive me for being blunt, but you dont seem to understand what on earth you're talking about You seem very contradictory and im having trouble working out exactly what points you're trying to make
You are confued? I am totally gone..............
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No you are wrong again, I said mine have never killed another dog, you need to pay closer attention.
Now come on Dawn, be honest. You have a Border Terrier fighting ring going on there havent you?

Anyway, im off out!
Page 14 of 56 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »