Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Help? baby refusing bottle

hay
Ciarán is 8 weeks old and has been brestfed up to now, I would like to express so that he can continue to have my milk when I go back to uni. I have tried introducing a bottle (tomme tippee ones) and he just gets really upset and wont suckle on the bottle. Has anyone switched over and do you have any advice or tips? Oh i dont know if it would help but he doesnt have a dummy at the moment
Thanks
ATD x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Are you trying to give Ciarán the bottle yourself? Because if you are he can smell you [and no doubt the milk in your breasts] so will want that instead of, to him, a hard teat.

My suggestion would be to try again with someone else holding him and offering the bottle.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Sorry cannot help, my daughter needed no persuasion in chaning from B to B.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 03:06 PM
i will try again and get OH to give it to him.

he a lazy boy SB thats my problem hehe

ATD x
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Have you tried Nux teats or similar, they are shaped to fit the baby's mouth, mine would never suck from a normal shaped teat, you can get then in Boots
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-09-2011, 03:21 PM
HI Anne-Theresa When baby sitting I bottle feed my granddaughter Hannah with her Mummy's expressed breast milk . She is now three months old and I have been doing this since she was 8 weeks old . I did the same with the twins now 18 months old, Hannah is easy, the twins were more difficult .

A few observations I hope they are not too 'obvious' . I always try to hold baby in the same position she would be in when breast feeding and I squirt a little milk from the bottle into her mouth so she gets the taste and knows milk is available. Milk temperature is important too for some babies, it needs to be just right and the teat needs to be positioned correctly on top of the tongue and far enough back in the mouth. I gently stroke the baby's chin with one finger while feeding too.

Breast fed babies seem to get used to milk arriving with a certain amount of pressure, it the teat has the 'wrong' sizes hole and the the milk is delivered too slowly that can upset a baby too, teat type is trial and error

The other thing is keep calm don't stress, I sing softly while feeding and this seems to help . Good luck

ETA none of the babies have dummies...
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 08:42 PM
First things first DON'T use a dummy, it is fab that your not so please don't start, I hate the things with a passion and are for lazy parents IMO

I would recommend the back to nature teats by Tommy Timpee and like others have said get someone else to feed Ciaran if possible because he will smell you and want a boobie. The position is important so try and feed in the breastfeeding position. Make sure you have the temp just right as that can have an effect. You could also try putting milk on your finger or gicing the teat a gentle squeeze so the milk is easier for him to get. It is far easier to get milk out of you than a bottle and some babies are just too lazy to suck hard enough!!

However having said that I never got my youngest of the boobie!! She flat out refused a bottle and went straight from me to a sippy cup aged 2!!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 09:49 PM
hay
I milked the bottle into his mouth but he wasnt a happy bunny with that. it wasnt the temp of it coz he took it out of a cup.
i have the tommee tippee back to nature bottles. but we have started cup feeding which he seems happier with. So I think cup is the way to go.
Yer I dont like dummys either and yes in a lot of cases i think its easier to give a dunmmy to shut the baby up. i dont think he would take a dummy now anyway i have the tommee tippee teethers and he not keen on holding them too long lol.
Thanks for all your replies though, its just going to take time i think
ATD x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I have breastfed three kids.One was totally breastfed and moved onto a bottle at six months.The second was mixed fed and would take either.the third would not take a bottle at all ever and used a cup reluctantly.

It is sometimes about finding the right kind of teat,I spent a fortune looking for one that worked but I am sure these days there must be even better products.

I would make sure you have a hungry baby,the best teat and some warm breast milk and a willing volunteer that is used to bottle feeding babies......Even after all this you may find though that breast and cup is how you end up....more time consuming but possible.

Just googled and found this bottle that claims to be most like a breast feed.There is also a link to a free bottle for trying!

http://www.breastflow.co.uk/CollectInfo.asp
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 10:45 PM
hay
thanks for the link I have sent off for a bottle to try.
ATD x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >