Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:31 PM

When would you give up ?

Sadly a friend of ours lost her dog on a walk about 3 months ago, her husband wants to get another as he misses the company on his walks and generally having a dog in the house but his wife is adament not yet as he could be found anyday.

They asked our advice but we couldn't agree either so wondered what you would all do if the worst happened ?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Where have they lost him?
I'm in Huthwaite Mansfield at the moment and there was a sign in the window down the street that said dog found.

Otherwise, I wouldn't give up, but I don't really know if I lost Sadie or Louie on a walk - I wouldn't give up and I also wouldn't get another dog.

But when I thought all hope was lost then I'd think about bringing another dog in.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't give up either.
It would be a mission for me to find out something Im afraid.
My son spent 12 months looking for his cat....and it turned up back home, seems someone had her thinking she was a stray, she got out and made her way straight home

I'd be on doglost, all rescues, RSPCA, posters, newpapers, radio and tv (if they let me) etc etc., offering a reward for info
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:53 PM
3 months isnt that long really, if he does want another dog then they should get one- but make sure its of a breed and temperament that would be more likely to accept the lost dog back if he is found.
This doesnt mean they have to stop searching.

My male gsd's sire went missing 3 years ago in march- he escaped onto salisbury plain and was seen for a few months then sitings stopped- i personally think this is because he went 'feral' the owners have stopped searching altogether, but i regularly check doglost and scan rescues for him as although he was microchipped- they sometimes dont work.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:55 PM
.... never ! my kaos was awol for 4 weeks....i also know others that have been reunited a year later

....... would your awol dog not take to company then?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I could never stop looking, like Steph it would be a mission for me to find out anything, what a horrible situation to be in tho and my heart goes out to them, maybe there does come a point to accept that the dog wont be found but 3 months in is too early for me personnaly, I do hope he is found
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Lost down here in Surrey, they have done all the usual routes to find him. Barney is his name although he answers to Bill too (his name before he was rescued). He is 6 or 7 years old a maltese terrier with an over bite so no good to show and has been neutered so no good for breeding. He is on medication and a special diet for colitis so if anyone has him by now he won't be well at all.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh poor boy i hope he is found, and found well.

I would never stop searching... dont know when i would get another dog, but even then i wouldnt stop searching.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:28 PM
It's a good point they don't need to give up but could get another dog - will suggest that because it will even get them walking again and they could just find him that way
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Its probably very unlikely that they will just find him when out walking.

Is he microchipped? Have they put him on doglost and postered the areas? and informed the police/dog warden/local vets and rescues?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >