Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Considering getting a rehome/rescue this time

I was going to post this in rescue chat but seems thats more for dogs needing homes/foster etc so here goes.

I had always entertained the thought that I would like another dobe. Recently more and more I have found myself thinking that the next one really should at the least be a re-home or rescue. Circumstances now mean I wont be showing or breeding and so why shouldnt a dog that needs a home get one, rather than go out and buy another puppy.

However I wasnt sure about 'qualifying' to get a re-home/rescue for a few reasons (i.e. one part of the fencing is 4.5ft)

So anyway, I decided that although I'm not looking to take on another dog immediatley (time has to be right...I like to plan these things, although I realise when the time is right it may take months to see/get the right dog) that I would e-mail a couple of rescues where I am frequently keeping an eye on the dogs and have seen one I'm really interested in (although, as I said, not for the next few months at least, so thats not what the email was)

I sent them all the details that I think they would need to 'accept' you before home check and said they could email me if I'd forgotten anything and could they let me know if I was suitable....that was yeasterday. Fair enough I know they have a lot to do and have a life outside dogs as well as looking after and rehoming etc However I still havent heard today and I'm not sure if they will get in touch as you hear so much about how strict they are etc Hopefully they will get in touch one way or the other, then at least I will know.

Is it still worth me looking at their sites and feeling that eventually I can have my rehome/rescue or if I dont hear back should I just go on the puppy hunt?

I dont want to waste my time or other peoples by continually looking and enquiring about dogs etc if I'm never going to get one simply because I have stairs or I have a section of fencing that isnt 6ft (which tbh a dobe could clear if they really wanted to) I am starting to think fairly strongly that the next one should be a 2 years plus female though and that I cant really justify getting a pup while there are so many dogs still looking for homes....especially if I dont have a particular reason (i.e. showing, breeding etc) and I can still do other classes etc with a rescue.

Anyway, got it off my chest lol

What do you guys think?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Go for it and good on you.
Rescue is very dear to my heart, I'm on my 5th
There are so many lovely dogs in rescue that deserve a good home, it's the ony way to go.
Good luck.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
don't give up if you don't get a quick reply, most rescues are run by volunteers who have jobs/lives as well. Pester them Also if all thats stopping you getting one is the fence height,higher/replace it! Good luck there are so many dogs needing homes at the moment
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't think you should get turned out from what you've said - so good luck on your search!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 09:48 PM
thanks - its just you do hear about them turning potentailly good owners away because they dont fit a certain criteria etc

Hopefully I do fit the criteria for the right dog, when the time is right.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Have you thought about fostering for a dob rescue?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:12 PM
I wouldnt mind doing that actually, do you think I should email/phone the coordinator for up here and ask about it? I would be limited though in which dogs I could take, I dont think I could have any male long term.. (they dont have a specific rescue kennels here for dobes as far as Im aware) I might be rubbish at it though
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Good idea and a way of helping more than one dog as long as you don't fail..........
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I wouldnt mind doing that actually, do you think I should email/phone the coordinator for up here and ask about it? I would be limited though in which dogs I could take, I dont think I could have any male long term.. (they dont have a specific rescue kennels here for dobes as far as Im aware) I might be rubbish at it though
Ye I think it's a fantastic idea... you dont know until you try

I shall look into dob rescues and get back to you

Would you only consider a dob?

I know smaller rescues are desperate for fosters.

Also some rescues would prefer not to foster their dogs in a house hold of the same sex anyway.
If I was to foster it could only be males
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by GSDlover4ever View Post
Ye I think it's a fantastic idea... you dont know until you try

I shall look into dob rescues and get back to you

Would you only consider a dob?

I know smaller rescues are desperate for fosters.

Also some rescues would prefer not to foster their dogs in a house hold of the same sex anyway.
If I was to foster it could only be males
It wouldnt be for a few months yet until I could take on a dog due to certain stuff that I have going on (I just dont feel its fair on a dog to bring them in until you have time to spend etc, especially a dog that may have 'history')
In all honesty I really do want to stay with dobes (I almost feel a little guilty about that but its the truth) I do also have to take the cats into account though - although plenty dobes will take a telling from a cat...youve just got to try it out before 'writing them off' if you know what I mean, plenty rescues go to homes/fosterers with cats though and get on fine so...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >